Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2015, 06:29 PM

77 posts, read 82,192 times

Advertisements

From SM taking the 10 (from pretty much where it begins near the beach) to the 405, to the center of this area (a few traffic lights). How long would the commute time be from SM in the morning and back to SM in the evening? On the map it doesn't look very far mileage wise, but 405 is awful with traffic. I've read some stuff about how this commute would be opposite of the main traffic flow, but 405 looks terrible both ways. But I'd rather commute to work where I can find parking easily, than try to commute to the beaches on the weekends and deal with that. Can it done be in a hour or even slightly under if getting up and leaving early? Any help appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2015, 06:40 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,209,128 times
that's a reverse commute to be sure, but getting out of the westside can also be difficult. i work with a guy who lives in venice and commutes to the valley every day and he mentioned it takes him about 25 minutes. he generally doesn't get in until after 10 though (waiting out traffic). if you had to be in the office at a more reasonable time, i'd expect a 45 minute commute.

Old 07-22-2015, 01:41 PM

1,626 posts, read 4,016,833 times
It depends on your hours. Look at Google Maps traffic view during your proposed commute times. Starting later will be better. My neighbor did the SM-to-valley reverse commute for over a year. She would normally leave at 8:30-9am and get home around 7-7:30pm. It seemed to take a toll on her. Once she stopped commuting to the valley she seemed to have a lot more free time during the week.

Old 07-23-2015, 03:32 PM

3 posts, read 2,464 times
I leave for work at 7 and it takes me 10 minutes to get to the valley from culver city. I leave work between 3-4 and it takes me 30 to 40 minutes to get home. It is important to remember it is summertime light right now with children out of school. Traffic will worsen in the Fall.

Old 08-10-2015, 12:43 PM

77 posts, read 82,192 times
I appreciate these responses. It sounds like reverse commute isn't too bad then. If I end up with say a 45 minute commute in the morning, and an hour+ change on the way home, I could deal with that. That's typical to what I did in the past. Plus a 980 schedule will really help recharge my batteries every two weeks.

Dunbar - that lady left late, imo! I'd be waking up at 6AM, and out by 6:30AM. I'd be looking to get to work at 7:15AM, and leave 4:15PM, or maybe slightly before 4PM depending on how long much lunch hour is. I'm not a late starter. My best hours of work are before lunch, so I need to get in more hours before noon than after!

I will be doing a hotel stay close to work to start out, but by mid-September I'd like to be in SM / Venice, with easy access to either the 10 or 405, but also within walking distance to the ocean. Expenses aside, it's just how much am I willing to pay for rent at that point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles