Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2015, 11:35 AM

411 posts, read 992,630 times

Advertisements

Just moved here from Minneapolis where humid summers are the norm. I expected dry air but have been surprised at just how humid it has been. Glad this is not the norm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2015, 01:26 PM

1,631 posts, read 2,387,480 times
This year has been more humid than last year. I think the remnants of Dolores the other week stayed off the coast for a few days longer after the rains the other week. It just didnt move. That was a long hot sticky wet, week. Watching the news weather looks like warm-hot humid air all week. Not as bad a Dolores week and mainly confined to the deserts and mountains with possible spillover. Im worried what August and September weather brings. Those are the hottest months where it gets into the 100s and 110s in valleys. Will there be humidity too?

Old 07-29-2015, 01:40 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,402,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saybanana View Post
This year has been more humid than last year. I think the remnants of Dolores the other week stayed off the coast for a few days longer after the rains the other week. It just didnt move. That was a long hot sticky wet, week. Watching the news weather looks like warm-hot humid air all week. Not as bad a Dolores week and mainly confined to the deserts and mountains with possible spillover. Im worried what August and September weather brings. Those are the hottest months where it gets into the 100s and 110s in valleys. Will there be humidity too?
There will only be abnormal humidity when the flow turns monsoonal. That may or may not happen after this week's event. It's hard to predict. See my earlier comments, though. There are some years where the SW Monsoon is on steroids. Then there are years where it barely makes it across the AZ-CA border.

Old 07-29-2015, 02:48 PM

360 posts, read 712,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laggard View Post
Just moved here from Minneapolis where humid summers are the norm. I expected dry air but have been surprised at just how humid it has been. Glad this is not the norm.
I moved here from Minneapolis 5 years ago. Miss the people, don't miss the weather. Welcome

Old 07-29-2015, 06:46 PM

26,731 posts, read 26,812,827 times
https://www.city-data.com/forum/los-a...past-week.html

Old 07-30-2015, 12:49 AM

37 posts, read 47,859 times
Other than a few days it's not been bad at all. You want bad, go to Chicago. I went home a few weeks ago to visit and even on an 80 degree day you step outside and you're soaking and miserable in 10 minutes.

I've spent years thinking that the best part of LA weather is escaping midwest winters but the truth is that even summers in the midwest are largely terrible. On a 0 degree day you think that the only thing in the world you want is for a 90 degree day and then the 90 degree day comes with 90% humidity and you think the only thing you want is a 0 degree day.

If the last week was a humid spell I'll take it.

Old 07-30-2015, 01:58 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,402,599 times
Monsoon surge is well in place in the Southland now (but forecast is really backing off on bringing anything up here ... can see the first of the clouds, 'though ... ).

Flash Flood Watch in the mountains, and a Flash Flood Warning for the San Rafael Wilderness (mostly an issue for backpackers, horse packers and ranchers).

Old 07-30-2015, 02:51 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Even in places in the South where it typically isn't this humid/hot, it has been. So I think the whole country is seeing the effect of this brutal summer.
Where is it not humid in the south in the summer? It's brutal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
No, it's not Florida but it's high 80s where I'm at with 50-70% humidity. Normally the humidity stays under 30% and makes high 80s feel nice. This year, high 80s is not so much fun after awhile with this humidity.
Agree, as humid as it has been, it's still a cakewalk compared to FL and most of the country. We're not seeing 85 degrees at 1am with 90% humidity.

Old 07-30-2015, 06:02 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,418,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Where is it not humid in the south in the summer? It's brutal.

Agree, as humid as it has been, it's still a cakewalk compared to FL and most of the country. We're not seeing 85 degrees at 1am with 90% humidity.
Well for example, in Charlotte/Raleigh it's usually hot but nowhere near as hot as it has been this summer.

Old 07-31-2015, 09:01 AM

2,054 posts, read 2,568,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeymike View Post
Other than a few days it's not been bad at all. You want bad, go to Chicago. I went home a few weeks ago to visit and even on an 80 degree day you step outside and you're soaking and miserable in 10 minutes.

I've spent years thinking that the best part of LA weather is escaping midwest winters but the truth is that even summers in the midwest are largely terrible. On a 0 degree day you think that the only thing in the world you want is for a 90 degree day and then the 90 degree day comes with 90% humidity and you think the only thing you want is a 0 degree day.

If the last week was a humid spell I'll take it.
Totally agree with you. in the deep south, we get 5 weeks for fall, and about 6 weeks of spring. REst of the year, people won't go outside and tolerate the weather. I can tolerate heat a lot better than a lot of people, because I like it. But the humidity sucks to everyone. Just try convincing people from Alabama though, that this isn't God's grace to America...I was raised here and lived most of my life here, and it's just the worst to me. Can't sell my house or I'd be out before winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles