Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2015, 09:46 AM

1,557 posts, read 3,313,154 times

Advertisements

Substitute 'fakeness' with 'fantasy' In LA there are a lot of people living out their fantasy. I dont think this is a bad thing. Reality often sucks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2015, 09:52 AM

1,940 posts, read 3,573,060 times
I think because we always hear how fake Angelenos are that it makes us hypersensitive to it and maybe a little more watchful for it. This is a very down to earth place except that it's pretty pricey.

But I moved here from living in Houston, Dallas, Austin where you were much more judged by the car you drive and what you look like, what you're wearing, etc... I have had a much more freeing experience here. There is just this aura hanging over everything of this "Be yourself" spirit.

My first few months here I was in a conversation with some hipster type coworkers and I made some comments about another coworker's car, clothes, overall oddness. I got looks from everyone like I was just some giant jerk-hole for talking like that. I very quickly got the vibe that people are allowed to be who they are here. Not that everyone here is super friendly or super accepting, but it's just a much less oppressive/formal/high-expectation vibe here.

The people you see flashing their cars/money/clothes are probably coming from some culture where that stuff places you high up the social ladder. Out here you can drive a Bentley (sp?) and still be polite and chatty with the masses.

Old 07-30-2015, 10:04 AM

2,440 posts, read 3,437,169 times
I have lived all over this country, and honestly dont recall this being any more apparent in L.A. than any other large city. Sure there are plenty of goofballs in Tinseltown, but facetious pretentious people are everywhere. Superficial behavior was not invented in Los Angeles. It is a worldwide affliction, in case you have'nt been paying much attention to any politicians, lawyers or celebrities lately. But since L.A. being famous and all, is one of America's favorite whipping boys, it gets bashed as neurotic regularly.

Old 07-30-2015, 10:44 AM

203 posts, read 577,958 times
It's not really "fake" in the way people seem to claim it is.

I will say that a lot of folks involved in the industry, or even on the corporate side, have a "let's do lunch" or "yeah, here's my info, stay in contact!" vibe, knowing they don't mean it. I think most folks in L.A. are very polite up front, but the follow up is EVERYTHING. You might be an unknown director, and a major Hollywood director will appear to be friendly, and give you his card, and he'll give you inspirational words...but you call his number, and the secretary will pick up, and give you the runaround.

Most "fakeness" also comes from competitiveness. If you're auditioning for a dancer role in a movie, all the girls in the room may be friendly to each other...but when they leave, they'll talk within their cliques about how horrible certain girls were, or how they didn't like someone else's attitude. However, this type of thing surely happens in other places, just that L.A. has the most opportunity.

Old 07-30-2015, 10:57 AM

90 posts, read 89,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R-Tistic View Post
It's not really "fake" in the way people seem to claim it is.

I will say that a lot of folks involved in the industry, or even on the corporate side, have a "let's do lunch" or "yeah, here's my info, stay in contact!" vibe, knowing they don't mean it. I think most folks in L.A. are very polite up front, but the follow up is EVERYTHING. You might be an unknown director, and a major Hollywood director will appear to be friendly, and give you his card, and he'll give you inspirational words...but you call his number, and the secretary will pick up, and give you the runaround.

Most "fakeness" also comes from competitiveness. If you're auditioning for a dancer role in a movie, all the girls in the room may be friendly to each other...but when they leave, they'll talk within their cliques about how horrible certain girls were, or how they didn't like someone else's attitude. However, this type of thing surely happens in other places, just that L.A. has the most opportunity.
Couldn't agree more... This says everything about a certain type of industry. Interesting enough, there are more people employed by city, state and government agencies here in the city than Tinseltown. However, LA is mostly known for its direct tie to the entertainment industry.

Old 07-30-2015, 11:29 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,035,451 times
The fakeness is largely tied to the movie industry. Not crews or hands on stuff but the actual wannabe actors, comedians and musicians. Mostly run around stuff like what was discussed earlier. That's always been the crux of the fakeness. The rest of the city is actually open and understanding.

I concur that non Hollywood, non-Westside LA is way more live and let live than the newly minted burbs in Texas and North Carolina. Keeping up with the joneses galore! Lots of snootyness all based on your car, house, life. People live to show off on FB.

Since moving here I'm way less conscious about that crap. I use to play that game a bit in Houston.

Old 07-30-2015, 01:31 PM

8,351 posts, read 13,499,556 times
Hilarious, Mr. "1-post wonder" got everyone going on this cliche topic...

Old 07-30-2015, 01:52 PM

13,585 posts, read 15,703,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matzoman View Post
Substitute 'fakeness' with 'fantasy' In LA there are a lot of people living out their fantasy. I dont think this is a bad thing. Reality often sucks.
I wish those sorts of people would stay in their hometown and play World of Warcraft instead of coming here and adding to the congestion of our already overburdened infrastructure.

Old 07-30-2015, 01:58 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,175,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
I wish those sorts of people would stay in their hometown and play World of Warcraft instead of coming here and adding to the congestion of our already overburdened infrastructure.
Right and doing so would also help the economy out in Irvine where Blizzard can be found.

Old 07-30-2015, 02:30 PM

850 posts, read 798,269 times
Come to Scottsdale az and Atlanta,GA if you want to see fake people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles