Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2015, 04:47 PM

183 posts, read 207,239 times

Advertisements

Although not set in stone, there is a potential faculty opportunity at USC Health Campus that we are exploring. A part of our decision process is housing and locations around USC that would fit our lifestyle and relative safety.

Can anyone offer up places where local faculty and medical staff live, that commute to the medical center? I'm looking for neighborhoods, general areas that would be a fit for us, and your subjective...constructive thoughts.

Here is some background;
  • Late 30s Korean-American husband and country bumpkin wife. DINKs/yuppies/whatever + 2 cats and a 65# dog.
  • We will likely rent, to get the lay of the land, but capable of purchasing a house up to $850k based on our money for 20% down.
  • Prefer a house/townhouse/duplex: >800sq ft, a garage, and/or a small backyard for our 4-legged kids.
  • Prefer to be 30 mins away from campus. Can anyone tell me of places that go against the typical flow of rush-hour traffic? (Yes i understand this is LA, and traffic is everywhere)
  • I'd prefer to be in an area that is smoke-free and not loud at night (not a major street/throughway)
  • Up and coming places would be nice, as we may have to move again in 7 or so years. We usually keep our houses and rent them out.
  • A bit of our lifestyle: paddleboarding, target shooting, and food lovers. We take our dog on long walks so prefer to not need to worry about safety or taunting. We work long hours and prefer to be left alone
  • I think that's enough...
Places that colleagues recommend are South Pasadena and Santa Monica (I think too expensive). I like Redondo beach, but the drive looks bad. Some posters recommend Echo Park.

We will get a real estate agent, if this opportunity solidifies. I am opening this up to your thoughts and recommendations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2015, 05:12 PM

94 posts, read 147,596 times
You came to the wrong state for the things you are asking for.

Old 08-06-2015, 06:59 PM

1,631 posts, read 2,388,084 times
You should consider the hilly areas of Montecito Heights, Monterrey, Garvanza, Hermon (nice dog park there, free tennis park) and the larger community of Highland Park nearby with all the shops, banks, eateries, etc. Highland Park is up and coming/gentrifying and half of it is gentrified and the other half that is more renters and poorer and more crime is slowing gentrifying. I would say it is 1/2 way there. Many homes go for 600-800K now, when only 3-5 years ago it was 400K for a complete flipped home. Rents are still somewhat affordable, but more and more landlords are evicting, renovating and raising rents. South Pasadena and Pasadena, Mt Washington and Eagle Rock are middle to upper class areas and generally safer and nicer but also comes with the higher price of rent/housing. From these communities is only 20 minutes or less on local roads or 10 minutes on freeways in non rush hour traffic.

I cant tell you what areas are up and coming because the real estate/housing situation in SoCal is bonkers. Everywhere is upscaling slightly because people looking for homes are buying in areas that they can afford even if it is a crap area. Just because people with more money are moving in doesnt mean there is bigger trend. There are about dozen current up and coming/gentrifying/huge development like many Downtown neighborhoods, Hollywood, Koreatown, Echo Park, Highland Park, Venice, North Hollywood and more. Maybe another dozen potentially up and coming/or very early stages but dont expect much in 10 years or less like El Sereno, Lincoln Heights and Boyle Heights which are adjacent to the USC-County Medical area.

Old 08-06-2015, 09:50 PM

183 posts, read 207,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldzero View Post
You came to the wrong state for the things you are asking for.
It's called California Dreamin!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles