Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 01:14 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,022,270 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
Sociologically, South OC and North County SD are disgusting. Examples of casual racism and questionable conversation subject matter abound. But honestly, you'd be extremely hard-pressed to convince any neutral observer they'd find as much of that manifest here than in certain other parts of the county. That is a cultural difference. Its not a massive difference, but it does exist. You know that in your bones. Meanwhile, I do not understand what anybody would go so out of their way to argue the legitimacy of ignorant whining poorly cloaked as constructive criticism.
Of course, I agree. I don't know about everyone else's criticism but mine was aimed at tempering the jabs at the heartland. The rudest people I have ever encountered. I am talking about worse than NYC, were in the OC. OMG, were those people just unbearable. It was pure elitism. No veneer of sincerity, no polite passive aggressive insults, no, just straight jabs and straight rudeness.

Is that what some people value though as better because it's "real"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2015, 01:44 PM

3,190 posts, read 3,188,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJT123 View Post
Baloney.

Actually you (or whomever it was) said, "At least you gave it a shot," which I somewhat resented. That implies that I came out here and couldn't make it and am leaving defeated, which couldn't be further from the truth.

I choose not to live here anymore; I was world's happier back east.

I simply said, "Oh, I'm not defeated or anything," because, as usual, I was replying to a comment that was cloaked in condescension and passive-aggressive attitude.
You have a real persecution complex.

Old 09-03-2015, 01:59 PM

3,830 posts, read 4,667,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
The fact that someone struck up a conversation with you and were friendly was a factor in your dislike of the South? Really? You actually use that a measure? That and humidity?

Fair enough? But unless you guys are all making 100k, in a stable market, with a less than hour commute, just what can you guys really quantify as a measurable value? I'm not talking about weather, less friendly people, or shops being nearby. I am talking what real measurable things do you guys having going on? Assets, home ownership, land? Business owner? Command over 100k?

If you do, then more power to you, you have every right to mock the heartland because you truly made it. I think HyperionGap has every right since he said he owns property, but what Seain do you have here that you couldn't get elsewhere, possibly for cheaper?
I passed the test.

Old 09-03-2015, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperionGap View Post
I passed the test.
Hyperion if I could be at your level, I'd be happy as a clam. That's a goal but if not that's ok too I can settle for second fiddle. The goal though is to attain things that have measurable value in dollar and cents.

Old 09-03-2015, 02:35 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,659,574 times
Quote:
Sociologically, South OC and North County SD are disgusting. Examples of casual racism and questionable conversation subject matter abound. But honestly, you'd be extremely hard-pressed to convince any neutral observer they'd find as much of that manifest here than in certain other parts of the county. That is a cultural difference. Its not a massive difference, but it does exist. You know that in your bones. Meanwhile, I do not understand what anybody would go so out of their way to argue the legitimacy of ignorant whining poorly cloaked as constructive criticism.
Exactly. I can think of one incident in LA where I had what I guess you would call a heated discussion on politics with a stranger. And it was my fault, I was standing in line at Vons and had just come from a meeting for someone running for LA city council. The woman I was talking to asked me who, now I did say "I shouldn't say, people either love or hate him", than I told her and she said "you're right I hate him" and went on tirade....LOL. Lesson learned.

I found in the south people were too quick to tell their views, I think because they assumed you were just like them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
But you see this is my point? I gripe? I gripe because I mention flaws in the supposed perfect city? Is that what it is? I praise LA way more than I dog it, which usually has more to do with city management. I tend act wise as serpent, innocent as a dove when dealing with property owners and salesmen here because they think I'm a rube from Hayseed, KY. Surprisingly I've noticed most are east cost transplants I've dealt with so I don't fault natives. But they start quoting prices and start discussing things that are so off the course in terms of measurable value. But then again I've noticed it's a running thing here in LA. Everything is measured in distorted value because of the influx of people inflating prices and the lack of incentive to keep or retain customers. It's just "fine, go, next person".
My father owns a construction company and I've lived in it for a long time and was taught early to see the value in homes, apartments and the built environment. When the management company raised my rent I took a look around the new apt and saw so many flaws that not even a dingy apartment would do in a low cost area in Houston, but it was apparent because of the type of labor they used, the deadline they were on and the long list of willing customers that they knew would overlook flaws. The leasing agent walked the property with me and I went over all the flaws. He agreed, shrugged and smiled and said it is what it is, this is LA, someone else will snatch this up and take it in a week, you want it or not?

Now maybe I should take this approach to everything in LA and demand more, it might be a better outlook. But I do that at work too.

This isn't to start a fight, man. It's just to say that there is no need to disparage each persons value system because we happen to live in the arguably the best city in the world.

Who said it was perfect? No place is.

You did a thread which I thought was ridiculous, about "A Listers" not living in LA, besides not being true, who the hell cares?

Over the years(like many others) I have seen and met some actors, however that has no direct impact on my day to day life. At best it's a story worth repeating at most a couple of times.

Sure there were a couple whom I really liked and it was neat to meet them, but we're not going to be hanging out together. My only concerns about where people live is if they're noisy and inconsiderate and live next to me.....LOL...otherwise who cares where some movie star lives?????

Sounds to me like with many recent younger transplants you come to LA with visions in your head from TV and movies of what it is supposed to be like. Than it isn't quite that way(because nothing on TV or the movies is exactly like real life) and you're disappointed.

For the most part the only really pretentious, snooty types are transplants and usually under 35. You know the ones who wear skinny jeans and try to hard to impress, they get work as extra and or a short term craft service job and now they're in the "industry"....LOL.

The friends I have and family I have here(which most are natives) are down to earth and lead lives that have nothing to do with the entertainment industry.

Old 09-03-2015, 02:37 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,875,288 times
Quote:
The fact you chose to resent that comment should tell you something.
Yeah WTF. Sensitivo!

I 'gave the East Coast a shot' and came back home. Doesn't mean I failed (quite the opposite in fact, I found myself in a far superior financial position at the end of my Boston run), it means I prefer California.

Giving something a shot and deciding you don't like it is not something to resent or indicative of failure.

Also what on earth is this argument about anymore. Seems pretty petty.

I'd like to reiterate: I am middle class (maybe even upper) and I find the QOL in Pasadena/LA to be excellent for my lifestyle. If it helps, I've certainly lived in the sticks, I was born and raised in the sticks.

Old 09-03-2015, 03:03 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,659,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Yeah WTF. Sensitivo!

I 'gave the East Coast a shot' and came back home. Doesn't mean I failed (quite the opposite in fact, I found myself in a far superior financial position at the end of my Boston run), it means I prefer California.

Giving something a shot and deciding you don't like it is not something to resent or indicative of failure.

Also what on earth is this argument about anymore. Seems pretty petty.

I'd like to reiterate: I am middle class (maybe even upper) and I find the QOL in Pasadena/LA to be excellent for my lifestyle. If it helps, I've certainly lived in the sticks, I was born and raised in the sticks.

Bingo!

I said the same exact thing to Mr. Sensitive and he turned it into "I'm not going back with my tail between my legs"....sigh....no one said you were.

Total overreaction.

And you're absolutely right, plenty of people live a good QOL here who aren't rich. Not everyone values having a huge house(especially when you have two people living it) a need.

Old 09-05-2015, 09:47 AM

128 posts, read 149,497 times
Very nice house. Well worth it and I do wish you the best of luck.
It's amazing when people assume that places like Knoxville, Nashville, Charlotte, Raleigh and
Atlanta are "Podunk"
I hesitantly left LA due to a job promotion a decade+ ago. The comments people made were not pretty. I was content in LA and never thought of leaving but we sold the house and ventured to metro Atlanta.
Fast forward to today and the majority of the people I knew have relocated for the same reasons you state. I do miss many things LA but we lack of nothing we had back home and we visit often.
We've done well in ATL and our kids are happy and well adjusted living the suburban cliché.
House is paid off, gulf coast beach getaways, jet ski on the lake 6 miles from home, nonstop flights everywhere. There's every national chain (and local) restaurant, venue, night club and department store you would ever need and the entertainment industry is booming (40 TV series & movies currently being filmed here).
Diversity - everyone here is a transplant which makes it even more interesting.
The weather is good - about 8 months of outdoor weather the rest vary between sweater, jacket or coat weather.
We always want more but as long as we are healthy, happy and financially stable
I can't ask for a better place (for now).

Best of luck to you and never look back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJT123 View Post
Atlanta, Nashville. Even my hometown of Knoxville has plenty to offer. Is it LA? Heck no!

But, I'm about to put an offer in on this home:

6504 Westland Dr, Knoxville, TN 37919 | Zillow

4bd, 3ba, 2700 sq feet. Fenced in yard for dogs. I'll take that, and pay a mortgage that is HUNDREDS LESS than what I throw away in rent for a 1br apartment, 2 windows and neighbors in my face all the time.

It's in one of the nicest areas in town, 10 minutes away from the marina where my boat will be docked at. (Whew, I'm glad I didn't sell it...but we knew it wouldn't be permanent out here.)

At the end of the day, that's just more of what I consider a "good life."

Old 09-05-2015, 10:33 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,487,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caragitana View Post
Very nice house. Well worth it and I do wish you the best of luck.
It's amazing when people assume that places like Knoxville, Nashville, Charlotte, Raleigh and
Atlanta are "Podunk"
I hesitantly left LA due to a job promotion a decade+ ago. The comments people made were not pretty. I was content in LA and never thought of leaving but we sold the house and ventured to metro Atlanta.
Fast forward to today and the majority of the people I knew have relocated for the same reasons you state. I do miss many things LA but we lack of nothing we had back home and we visit often.
We've done well in ATL and our kids are happy and well adjusted living the suburban cliché.
House is paid off, gulf coast beach getaways, jet ski on the lake 6 miles from home, nonstop flights everywhere. There's every national chain (and local) restaurant, venue, night club and department store you would ever need and the entertainment industry is booming (40 TV series & movies currently being filmed here).
Diversity - everyone here is a transplant which makes it even more interesting.
The weather is good - about 8 months of outdoor weather the rest vary between sweater, jacket or coat weather.
We always want more but as long as we are healthy, happy and financially stable
I can't ask for a better place (for now).

Best of luck to you and never look back.
I haven't been to those cities, but I know they are all pretty large areas and definitely not podunk towns.
I think it's funny when there are people that live in cities like L.A,NYC or SF that they are really sophisticated or cosmopolitan , but then are totally ignorant about most of the rest of the country outside these cities and maybe a few others.

I think there is a ton of stuff to do in L.A , but it's nice to get out once in a while.
Its funny when people have negative 'opinions' about places they've never been to because they 'heard' a place was a certain way.

Old 09-05-2015, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
I haven't been to those cities, but I know they are all pretty large areas and definitely not podunk towns.
I think it's funny when there are people that live in cities like L.A,NYC or SF that they are really sophisticated or cosmopolitan , but then are totally ignorant about most of the rest of the country outside these cities and maybe a few others.

I think there is a ton of stuff to do in L.A , but it's nice to get out once in a while.
Its funny when people have negative 'opinions' about places they've never been to because they 'heard' a place was a certain way.
I agree. The poster from ATL said it best. Maybe 20 years ago it was LA NYC SF or bust, but a lot of cities have caught up and offer comparable amenities for cheaper. They're also offering competitive wages in certain boom sectors that are greater than the average cost of living so it's even better for most that get into the top fields. Employers want to attract talent and the job pool is smaller so wages are higher than average. That in itself is ab experience that many young native Angelenos don't know anything about living in high cost city with stagnant wages.

But that's what I've been saying and why I love LA but still see its flaws. I also think some of the posters in here came from really small towns or hard hit older rust belt cities in the northeast or Midwest. They think all cities east of Needles are Podunk-ish or are light years behind LA.

Isn't it great to know though that there are other options in case LA doesn't work out for whatever reason? That other cities are developing fast with ample job growth and low cost of living? That always makes me feel great that it's not one city or bust. I can enjoy LA all I want without having that I can't go home mentality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles