Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2015, 01:43 PM

1,584 posts, read 2,087,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
I just watched the Entourage movie and I don't know what they did but they made LA look WAY better than it is. Granted it's not hard, the nicest parts of the city are great but it still seemed like it was touched up. I've never been to a place in LA that has all super models. Every car was a Ferrari, not just a Beamer but a Bentley or Ferrari. I've been to half the places they filmed at and I never remembered them looking that fancy. It was like watching a live action catalogue of luxury goods and settings. All polished to look the best and sell a lifestyle. Again I knew what I was getting into but I surprised by how blatant it was.

This must be what people out in the Midwest think of when they think of LA. LOL. Hollywood is always portrayed as West Hollywood, Beverly Hills, Rodeo and Robertson Blvd.

I do have to give to the cinematographers for making LA look so nice.

Now what's the other side of the coin? End of Watch? Gangbanger movies? LA needs better more balanced portrayals of the city.
The premise of Entourage would be dampened a bit if they didn't make LA look nicer than it is. Everything in that show/movie is supposed to be representative of a nice lifestyle (for the most part).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2015, 01:58 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,661,603 times
Quote:
I just watched the Entourage movie and I don't know what they did but they made LA look WAY better than it is. Granted it's not hard, the nicest parts of the city are great but it still seemed like it was touched up. I've never been to a place in LA that has all super models. Every car was a Ferrari, not just a Beamer but a Bentley or Ferrari. I've been to half the places they filmed at and I never remembered them looking that fancy. It was like watching a live action catalogue of luxury goods and settings. All polished to look the best and sell a lifestyle. Again I knew what I was getting into but I surprised by how blatant it was.

This must be what people out in the Midwest think of when they think of LA. LOL. Hollywood is always portrayed as West Hollywood, Beverly Hills, Rodeo and Robertson Blvd.

I do have to give to the cinematographers for making LA look so nice.

Now what's the other side of the coin? End of Watch? Gangbanger movies? LA needs better more balanced portrayals of the city.
Maybe you need to broaden your range of movies. The independent film out now with Lily Tomlin "Grandma" shows average people in LA in average neighborhoods. It took place in LA, but it could have been anywhere, there are lots of films like that, not everything is either Beverly Hills or the barrio.

What you said could be said about anything.

Look at the TV show "Friends", granted it was a sitcom but you have 20 somethings living in very nice apts in Manhattan working low paying jobs, very realistic.

And BTW, I think LA looks very good in person. Nothing better than a winter day when it is 65 degrees, you can see snow on the mountain tops, but the sun reflecting off the palm trees.

You're another one who seems unhappy here. Why do you remain?

I don't get that, you're on the young side, single, no family ties here, why stay, because you're always whining about something here.

As annoying as the other guy is, the one from TN, at least he is leaving soon. So at least I give him credit, he isn't happy here and after a year is heading home.

Old 09-15-2015, 02:00 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,876,567 times
Drive shows a lot of parts of LA. Lots of scenes in the Valley where the main character works and the villian's restaurant is located - probably like Van Nuys or Canoga Park for the auto body shop and Studio City / Sherman Oaks for the strip mall scenes. Some scenes that are out towards the 118/210/5 junctions (car chase). The opening scene is downtown, and the closing scene is in Malibu.

And I know people didn't like the show, but True Detective captured a lot of parts of the city.

Old 09-15-2015, 02:39 PM

3,190 posts, read 3,189,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Drive shows a lot of parts of LA. Lots of scenes in the Valley where the main character works and the villian's restaurant is located - probably like Van Nuys or Canoga Park for the auto body shop and Studio City / Sherman Oaks for the strip mall scenes. Some scenes that are out towards the 118/210/5 junctions (car chase). The opening scene is downtown, and the closing scene is in Malibu.
Drive really utilizes Los Angeles beautifully. It's not about LA, they don't try that pretentious thing of making the setting a character, but it feels so specific and pretty unique among movies set here.

Old 09-15-2015, 02:57 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,023,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Maybe you need to broaden your range of movies. The independent film out now with Lily Tomlin "Grandma" shows average people in LA in average neighborhoods. It took place in LA, but it could have been anywhere, there are lots of films like that, not everything is either Beverly Hills or the barrio.

What you said could be said about anything.

Look at the TV show "Friends", granted it was a sitcom but you have 20 somethings living in very nice apts in Manhattan working low paying jobs, very realistic.

And BTW, I think LA looks very good in person. Nothing better than a winter day when it is 65 degrees, you can see snow on the mountain tops, but the sun reflecting off the palm trees.

You're another one who seems unhappy here. Why do you remain?

I don't get that, you're on the young side, single, no family ties here, why stay, because you're always whining about something here.

As annoying as the other guy is, the one from TN, at least he is leaving soon. So at least I give him credit, he isn't happy here and after a year is heading home.
Seain, are you boosting again? I never said LA doesmt look good. I even said it's not that hard but the movie had a romantic vision of LA that was grandiose and selling an image. It's sex and the city for bros. I was saying that perhaps this is the vision of Hollywood many people have when first arriving.

I was thinking that's why people are surprised when they find the city is more diverse and largely working class.

Cyrus as far as indie films had a good balanced look of LA.

Seain do you want nothing but praise for the city up on that high horse of yours or are you just such a darn booster that you couldn't see I wasn't knocking the city, I was knocking the erroneous portrayal of it in movies like entourage which give a false impression to impressionable people. How hard is that to understand? If you think Entourage is accurate then you clearly are an unabashed booster with some of the best rose colored glasses money can buy. I accept LA for what it is.

Old 09-15-2015, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post

And I know people didn't like the show, but True Detective captured a lot of parts of the city.
Movies like Drive made me want to try LA. That was the movie that sealed the deal. The opening scene was breathtaking. I LOVE LA noir films and could walk around DTLA all day.

Old 09-15-2015, 03:15 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,661,603 times
Quote:
Seain, are you boosting again? I never said LA doesmt look good. I even said it's not that hard but the movie had a romantic vision of LA that was grandiose and selling an image. It's sex and the city for bros. I was saying that perhaps this is the vision of Hollywood many people have when first arriving.

I was thinking that's why people are surprised when they find the city is more diverse and largely working class.

Cyrus as far as indie films had a good balanced look of LA.

Seain do you want nothing but praise for the city up on that high horse of yours or are you just such a darn booster that you couldn't see I wasn't knocking the city, I was knocking the erroneous portrayal of it in movies like entourage which give a false impression to impressionable people. How hard is that to understand? If you think Entourage is accurate then you clearly are an unabashed booster with some of the best rose colored glasses money can buy. I accept LA for what it is.

No, I was asking you a legit question.

You NEVER have anything good to say about LA, NEVER.

So why do you remain?

Look if you don't like LA that is your right, but why stay? Say you gave it a shot, not really what you thought it would be and go back home or move somewhere else.

And do you read before you type? Where did I say "Entourage" was accurate? I gave you an example of film called "Grandma" that shows average people in LA in average neighborhoods.

I said nothing in my post about "Entourage" which I think I have seen maybe two episodes of is realistic.

You were the one who started that ridiculous post about A listers not living in LA. To which I said "who cares where they live", my only concerns about who lives near me is are they quiet.....LOL.

Why live somewhere you don't really seem to like? It makes no sense.

It's not like your from here and have family ties.

Life is too short to live somewhere you don't like.

I used to have a boss who HATED living in LA and Southern CA, but the issue was they had divorced with an 8 year old daughter, so they were stuck if they wanted to see their child on a regular basis till she was 18.....you're not in that situation.

Move.

Old 09-15-2015, 03:20 PM

1,011 posts, read 978,155 times
500 Days of Summer.

Watch it and thank me later.

Old 09-15-2015, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3shipguy View Post
500 Days of Summer.

Watch it and thank me later.
Thanks! Will do.

Old 09-15-2015, 05:13 PM

302 posts, read 453,480 times
Entourage is a movie about excess, just like the TV series is. It's meant to show off celebrity LA which it looks exactly like that to them. Why? Because they have the money to buy the toys and they have those meetings in cafe's, expensive restaurants, etc. Drive up to Malibu or in the hills and you will see those houses. And those cars are around LA alot more than you think. Also, as a movie star, director, producer, or movie studio head, you think I'd be driving a Honda? Heck no. When those people all meet up in one spot than you will have more than just one Ferrari or Lambo, etc.

You have to understand what you're watching to see why they would portray the city the way they do. Just like Fear the Walking Dead wants to set a dark tone, they're going to make the city seem smoggier and darker and full of despair. Then, there are certain movies or shows which don't revolve around the setting or environment which could happen anywhere they wanted and the story would've progressed and it would've seem believable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles