Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2015, 07:53 AM

23 posts, read 61,280 times

Advertisements

Hello Californians,

I'm swallowing my pride and leaving my Houston, TX home for a new job in Azusa, CA. I have some money, but not California real estate level money: budget is around $500K for a 3BR/2B condo/townhouse/SFR.

Looking for a safe, family-friendly area with good schools (my wife is a teacher and my son will be starting pre-K soon).

My spidey-sense has lead me to Monrovia, Glendora, San Dimas, Claremont, and La Verne. Any gotchas with these areas? Any other places worth considering/avoiding?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2015, 08:18 AM

490 posts, read 659,921 times
Glendora, Claremont and La Verne all have excellent schools. The best I'd say are Claremont's.
Also probably the most expensive outta the three. I believe homes usually start around 500k in those cities so you might have a little trouble finding a SFH.
Claremont is lovely, kinda artsy and very educated, also lively for the east SGV. La Verne and Glendora are sleepy IMO.

Old 10-08-2015, 08:29 AM

1,714 posts, read 3,850,744 times
Can't beat Glendora's combination of schools, safety, and location. Great schools, super safe and clean, and right next to Azusa.

The Glendora USD part of town is north of the 210 freeway. Shouldn't be too hard to find a small 3bed/2bath for $500k in that area.

Old 10-08-2015, 09:15 AM

1,083 posts, read 2,169,711 times
Any of the areas you're looking into could work. If your preference is for a SFR, it'll probably be easier to find in Glendora, San Dimas or La Verne. Claremont is great for its downtown, but it's the furthest away from Azusa and available housing stock is quite limited, especially in the $500k range.

Old 10-08-2015, 01:54 PM

Thanks for the inputs folks!

Are there any other areas west of Azusa? Monrovia looks good, but everything else seems too expensive (Arcadia, Pasadena, La Canada).

Old 10-08-2015, 02:05 PM

1,714 posts, read 3,850,744 times
Not as family-friendly, IMO. Monrovia's safety and schools aren't as good as the easternly cities' mentioned.

Monrovia has an excellent downtown area, and it would put you a few miles closer to Pasadena and LA... but the desireable part of Monrovia (north of 210) can be pretty pricey.

Arcadia, South Pasadena, San Marino, La Canada... all extremely nice but very expensive. $500k likely won't fly in those cities unless you make some compromises.

Do you like trains? If you like trains and what they offer, then you need to know there's a new light rail line that will open in a few months in the areas you are looking at (Monrovia, Arcadia, Azusa/Glendora). Google "Metro Gold Line Foothill Extension" if you want to find out where the new train line goes and where the stations are located. You might want to take this into consideration when buying.

Last edited by genjy; 10-08-2015 at 02:15 PM..

Old 10-08-2015, 02:17 PM

26,717 posts, read 26,782,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petrivka View Post
Looking for a safe, family-friendly area with good schools
Azusa USD has some very low ranking schools, although some of the elementary schools are improving.
Try: http://www.city-data.com/forum/los-a...-rosedale.html
or: http://www.city-data.com/forum/los-a...lp-us-out.html
or: http://www.city-data.com/forum/los-a...-pasadena.html

Old 10-09-2015, 09:49 AM

2,157 posts, read 1,441,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petrivka View Post
Thanks for the inputs folks!

Are there any other areas west of Azusa? Monrovia looks good, but everything else seems too expensive (Arcadia, Pasadena, La Canada).
Monrovia is good and I think their schools are decent, and have a healthy mix of ethnicities. With your budget Duarte is something to take a look at also. If you choose the northern part of the city you will probably be pretty happy.

Old 10-09-2015, 08:36 PM

645 posts, read 750,033 times
don't move to Azusa unless you move closer to the mountains where its nicer...its not nice there....so ghetto and a lot of crime.........I live in Covina a few minutes from Azusa and even Covina is getting ghetto.......

Old 10-12-2015, 07:56 AM

Many thanks, all! What about even further west, like Glendale or Burbank? I don't know the traffic flows well in this region--if a typical morning/evening commute from/to Glendale or Burbank to/from Azusa is >45min I'll just drop those from consideration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles