Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2010, 03:32 PM

1,465 posts, read 5,147,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
How have you dealt with Atlanta then? It's been cloudy and rainy and miserable in the southeast since October. My wife is about ready to jump off a cliff.
Charles, move back to Ventura County already. Enough of the torture...
I will bicycle with you up and back on Balcom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2010, 03:45 PM

3 posts, read 5,984 times
Default LOVE LA, always have, always will

I love Los Angeles and it breaks my heart when I hear people (especially those who moved here by choice) bash it. I am born and raised in SoCal, but I always knew I wanted to live in Los Angeles as an adult. I live in WeHo and have lived in downtown, Westwood, Santa Monica, and MidWilshire. I have worked everywhere from LAX area to the Valley. Traffic may be one of the more frustrating aspects of this city, but I think of it as one of the prices I have to pay to have so many wonderful places and events surrounding me. If we did not have enough people coming into the city to patronize independent stores and restaurants or visit museums and landmarks, how would this city be? I know there are plenty of undesireable and dangerous areas, but that was not the point of this post. If you really want to enjoy this city, it is up to you to find the stuff that will make you happy. Start investigating LA Weekly and Yelp and Griddskipper. And if you are one of those people who always complain about how "fake" everyone in LA is, consider the phrase, "birds of a feather flock together." Stop buying in to the negativity and go find real people to be friends with. If you don't like "the scene" find a new scene that fits your vibe.

Old 03-26-2010, 05:15 PM

15 posts, read 22,327 times
I'm new here..
LOVE LA! I was born in Sacramento, but have lived in LA for most of my adult life. I think it holds true with every place- there will be people who absolutely adore it, and people who abhor it. You will find that in every single city- people have difference of opinions, and it's what makes the world go round.

I love the culture here, all of the different people (most with very open minds- from my own personal experience), the restaurant choices/food (so many good ones), the activities, things to do.. beaches and mountains all within some distance, I LOVE the weather (I don't like earthquakes, but deal)... I just love it here. I can find good in almost everything, however.. but I really do love where we live (and much more than Sacramento).

Old 03-28-2010, 12:14 PM

1 posts, read 2,160 times
I live in Los Angeles, and I hate it. I can see why some people would love it (if you like driving, the entertainment industry, and pot, this is definitely your mecca,) but personally, I can't wait to get out.

Old 03-28-2010, 12:22 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,630,964 times
L.A. is a great big freeway.
Put a hundred down and buy a car.
In a week, maybe two, they'll make you a star
Weeks turn into years. How quick they pass
And all the stars that never were
Are parking cars and pumping gas

Old 03-28-2010, 12:36 PM

116 posts, read 251,486 times
Quote:
The only downside I see so far is trying to find a job, but, that could be a problem anywhere.
That's a pretty huge downside

Old 03-29-2010, 05:23 PM

3 posts, read 9,370 times
Default Good points

LA has a lot of great things about it. The weather is perfect, and if you are able to live near you're place of work, the traffic is less of an issue. I have found that folks living in the beach towns are much happier then those in Hollywood, Beverly Hills, or worst of all, the valley. I think its because the beaches offer a stronger sense of community and the plus sides of the California life style (beach, slower pace). Due to my occupation I must live in Hollywood, and although elements can be off putting, it offers some great things too. Runyon canyon hikes in the evening are amazing. The Art walk downtown is great. Living near the popular restaurants and bars has it's perks for sure. I think people just get disenchanted with how hard is can be to meet people here, and how hard you have to work to earn a living. Not to mention that unless you foresee big bucks in you're future, it's almost impossible to own a home. That said, every where has it's trade off's. LA offers, opportunity, diversity and the beach… but, if its friendly people, quiet living, affordable housing, and a short commute you're looking for…..you're not going to enjoy it. If you must live in LA, make the best of it! Explore new things (it's a big city after all) rejoice in the sunshine the state is blessed with, and try to reach out to new people! Especially newbie's who could use a friendly face….
[FONT=Century][SIZE=2][FONT=Century][SIZE=2][FONT=Century][SIZE=2][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

Old 04-05-2010, 11:59 AM

24 posts, read 52,173 times
LA is so large it really is impossible to generalize about it. I been here for 50 years and lived in just about every part. There is a copy of every good and every bad place in the United States here. Those that are complaining live in the bad places.
I don't now, but have... so I moved. Pretty simple heh?
Try Westlake Villiage, Laguna, Palo Verdes, Malibu. Too bad if you cannot afford it... it's like a "green curtain" you know? Something has to keep the riff's and raff's out!
Where I live now is the best, sorry I can't tell you where that is... wouldn't want to spoil it you know! (giggle)

Old 04-08-2010, 09:39 AM

3 posts, read 14,104 times
We LOVE LA! It took me a couple of years to "get it" after moving here from Madison, WI, but I am so happy now. I want to live out the rest of my years here. I really feel like a part of the city.

Love it. Love it for all its quirks and challenges. Love the diversity, love the culture, love the subtle change of seasons.

Old 04-08-2010, 10:31 PM

8,320 posts, read 13,450,418 times
Don't really care much for LA but I had no choice since my spaceship crashed just outside the city.

The weather is beautiful though! Reminds me of my planet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles