Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2015, 07:41 AM

1,855 posts, read 2,918,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
Capitalism is evil in general.
Like totally, man
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2015, 08:04 AM

16,556 posts, read 10,630,149 times
I didn't get an evil vibe from Los Angeles; but then again, I've only been there once, so my opinion really won't carry much weight.

But I do agree with the OP's larger point, that some places can just feel off, or wrong, or sinister, or downright evil. I used to visit New York City on a regular basis in the mid to late 1980s, and then less frequently (every two or three years) from then up until now. And it always struck me how strong a personality the city had, and how it could be radically different from one visit to the next. Some times, it felt exciting and inviting, but there were other times it felt oppressively dangerous, as if the whole city was just waiting for me to make one wrong move and pounce on me. There were times when I breathed a sigh of relief when I escaped, while there were other times I was sad to leave.

I've never been to New Orleans, but I have this mental image of that city being evil, in a voodoo-spirit sort of way. And though I've never been to Skidmore, Missouri, two sensational crimes in that one small town (a local bully being gunned down in broad daylight in front of a crowd, yet no one claimed to have seen anything; and someone cutting a baby out of the belly of a pregnant woman) have led me to not ever want to get anywhere near that place.

Old 11-30-2015, 08:50 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,535,425 times
Some places feel shady but I've never had a place anywhere feel evil so I have no clue what OP is talking about.

Old 11-30-2015, 09:51 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,402,599 times
This thread reminds me in a way of the 19-year-old me.

Sorting out all the strange new feelings whilst being in The Southland.

I got over it by the time I finished my undergrad.

The saddest day of my life, in retrospect, was when I moved "back home" for what appeared at the time to be a "must do" career move.

Not a day goes by where I don't regret my decision to leave.

If anything, there is an "evil" undercurrent up here near a company who used to blab "Do No Evil!"

Old 11-30-2015, 11:21 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,602,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
Why is that?
Thetans.

Old 11-30-2015, 03:48 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theraven24 View Post
This thread is becoming one big joke.

Where is the OP? OP, just curious, have you been watching American Horror Story: Hotel?
Well the OP is probably under a bridge. Posters who start threads like this and than don't come back usually do.

You're probably right about AHS:Hotel....LOL.

Old 11-30-2015, 03:57 PM

1,351 posts, read 2,131,035 times
My first impressions of L.A. and OC weren't about "evil".

My gut feeling about Southern California is: This must have been paradise in the 1950s, before too many people moved here and ruined it.

I'm sad that I could never see the region before growth made it insanely overbuilt and a rat race. I remember waking up to catch a flight out of JWOC airport, and it had rained the night before. I could see snow on the mountains to the east, and see the shimmering ocean and palm trees to the west. The air was clean and crisp because traffic had not ramped up enough to cloud the air, which smelled like strawberries.

By the time my flight took off 2 hours later, the air was heavy and turning brown again.

Old 11-30-2015, 09:29 PM

4,627 posts, read 3,395,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Climber View Post
My first impressions of L.A. and OC weren't about "evil".

My gut feeling about Southern California is: This must have been paradise in the 1950s, before too many people moved here and ruined it.

I'm sad that I could never see the region before growth made it insanely overbuilt and a rat race. I remember waking up to catch a flight out of JWOC airport, and it had rained the night before. I could see snow on the mountains to the east, and see the shimmering ocean and palm trees to the west. The air was clean and crisp because traffic had not ramped up enough to cloud the air, which smelled like strawberries.

By the time my flight took off 2 hours later, the air was heavy and turning brown again.

Well you'll have to move your date of paradise back a good 10 to 15 years. The much dreaded LA smog showed up in the early 1940's during WW II. At first people thought it was chemical warfare by the Japanese. So the 1930's in LA had clean air but who would want to come of age in the Great Depression, unless your name is Charlie Chaplin or Clark Gable.

Old 11-30-2015, 10:38 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times
Holy crap! Talk about eerie...

Just a few days ago I overheard a conversation between two "eccentric" fellows at the Chevron station on West Valley Blvd in Alhambra in which one claimed "everything east of Alhambra is filled with evil spirits".

Not sure where the exact line of demarcation is but there ya go. Also, the guy listening was wearing a coonskin hat ala Davey Crockett so there's that.

Old 11-30-2015, 11:44 PM

75 posts, read 132,190 times
I think you're onto something. Every place has a certain energy, and there is definitely something about LA - but it's a struggle to really put your finger on besides experiencing personal "vibes". Many writers have noted the feeling of being at the "edge of the earth", along with the idealized perception of Hollywood vs the reality of a gritty place of broken dreams and a transient social structure. There are so many stories, emotions, and disappointments tied up in the pursuit of LA.

So maybe the sense of "evil" is really a sense of disappointment and loss of innocence, how the ideas we used to believe (anything is possible!) are not real and the world is actually quite messed up sometimes. We as humans want to make sense of things, but I don't think LA can be summarized easily.

Also people generally don't come to LA with open minds, they come with preconceived expectations, which are bound to be different in person. It really depends on where you are in the city, but some places almost feel like they once meant something, but have decayed or lost ties with what they once were, or many places seem normal/safe on the outside, but aren't.

That being said, there's also a lot of opportunity, happiness, and fun to be had in LA! But the bad and the good are pushed up against each other, two sides of the same coin, much like life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles