Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2016, 04:02 PM

1,626 posts, read 4,012,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaphawoman View Post
Are gangs using Uber drivers as drug mules now? Or are they becoming Uber drivers to conduct their gang activity? I really hope it wasn't a random innocent person.
I think in this case it was a "fake" Uber sticker. On the news they implied gang members put up fake Uber stickers to draw less heat from the police while driving around selling drugs etc.

I've read driver accounts on uberpeople.net of drug dealers using Uber to deliver large amounts of drugs. Also, drug addicts using Uber to score more dope. It's funny how nobody cared when it was just taxi drivers that had to deal with this s*(%.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2016, 11:07 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,443,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunbar42 View Post
I think in this case it was a "fake" Uber sticker. On the news they implied gang members put up fake Uber stickers to draw less heat from the police while driving around selling drugs etc.

I've read driver accounts on uberpeople.net of drug dealers using Uber to deliver large amounts of drugs. Also, drug addicts using Uber to score more dope. It's funny how nobody cared when it was just taxi drivers that had to deal with this s*(%.
Yeah that does make sense, if the cops think it's just an Uber driver cruising for rides they might think less of it..or that's their intention at least.

I'm guessing they are probably also using stolen credit cards too.
I wonder if you can actually just create an uber account with one of those temporary type credit cards like Visa Gift Cards or something..
I'm sure the criminals have a way though.

Old 02-13-2016, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
I wonder if you can actually just create an uber account with one of those temporary type credit cards like Visa Gift Cards or something..
You probably could but it could but Uber can trace it back to the phone it was used on so it's a lot more traceable than calling a taxi/limo etc. and paying with cash. #howtobeacriminal

Old 02-13-2016, 04:01 PM

733 posts, read 939,337 times
I actually first heard about this on an early morning bus through Lincoln Heights.

Old 02-13-2016, 04:41 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,120,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
Kevin Smith's daughter was in a great neighborhood and almost abducted by fake Uber drivers who showed up while she was waiting for Uber she requested. Just saying be careful out there. People find ways to take advantage
Someone needs to be really stupid to fall into that trap.

Old 02-13-2016, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
If you talk to Uber and Lyft drivers it happens all the time. People see an Uber sticker and think it's their car. I never have a problem finding my driver BTW because I actually look at the info in the app.

Old 02-14-2016, 01:40 AM

9,182 posts, read 12,120,375 times
There is also a GPS in the app and you can see where you car is.

Old 02-14-2016, 02:16 PM

3 posts, read 5,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
Four LA gang members arrested after man driving an Uber is found shot dead in car | Daily Mail Online

Police haven't determined that he was legitimate Uber driver but just one more thing to worry about using Uber in LA. You could have attempted abduction by fake Uber drivers like Kevin Smith's daughter and now you could be caught in a drive by if your driver has beef with gangs
"This is indeed gang related" <-- That's impossible. Everyone knows gangsters are not allowed to have guns.

Old 02-14-2016, 09:19 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,589,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
Or she might have been using the "Uber Pool" service, which doesn't seem safe to me, unlike the other Uber services.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles