Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2016, 07:01 PM

63 posts, read 76,985 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, I'm California born and Texas raised. It's been years since I made a trip out to Cali and I'd like to experience it once again, and at the same time show my wife some new scenery (who's never been).

There's a couple of things on my must-do list, which is visiting Magic Mountain for one. I'm a huge rollercoaster enthusiast. Second, I know my wife would enjoy seeing the whole Hollywood scene and possibly taking a sightseeing tour. Also, we would like to visit some beaches, do some hiking/sightseeing, and take a trip outside of LA possibly to Santa Barbara or Malibu. Here's my questions:

1) We would like to get a beach Hotel in either Malibu or Santa Barbara for at least one night. I'd like to visit the scenic views that Highway 1 has to offer, but I'm not sure if Malibu/Santa Barbara compares to the Big Sur area of Hwy 1. If I'm looking for the beauty Hwy 1 has to offer, is SoCal even a good option?

2) Anybody have any suggestions on sightseeing tours, or any good areas in Hollywood to check out? I'm sure we would be interested in the Walk of Fame, but any other attractions or good dining options would be appreciated.

3) Is the Griffith Observatory the best place in the area to get an awesome view of LA and hike?

4) Santa Monica beach vs. Venice Beach. I'm sure we will end up checking out both, but what would you prefer? Any other beaches you would suggest?

5) Any Hotel suggestions preferably within a 15mile radius from LAX or in Santa Monica area near the beach?

6) Finally, as a craft beer aficionado what's a must-try craft beer bar in LA? Same with dining options.. what's a must-try restaurant/food truck in LA?

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2016, 07:17 PM

2,322 posts, read 2,994,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mateo2699 View Post
Hey guys, I'm California born and Texas raised. It's been years since I made a trip out to Cali and I'd like to experience it once again, and at the same time show my wife some new scenery (who's never been).

There's a couple of things on my must-do list, which is visiting Magic Mountain for one. I'm a huge rollercoaster enthusiast. Second, I know my wife would enjoy seeing the whole Hollywood scene and possibly taking a sightseeing tour. Also, we would like to visit some beaches, do some hiking/sightseeing, and take a trip outside of LA possibly to Santa Barbara or Malibu. Here's my questions:

1) We would like to get a beach Hotel in either Malibu or Santa Barbara for at least one night. I'd like to visit the scenic views that Highway 1 has to offer, but I'm not sure if Malibu/Santa Barbara compares to the Big Sur area of Hwy 1. If I'm looking for the beauty Hwy 1 has to offer, is SoCal even a good option?

Big Sur is beautiful....so is malibu. You can't really go wrong with either. If Big Sur is too far then Malibu would not be a bad fall back

2) Anybody have any suggestions on sightseeing tours, or any good areas in Hollywood to check out? I'm sure we would be interested in the Walk of Fame, but any other attractions or good dining options would be appreciated.

I would rather die, but the hop-on-hop off tour does a pretty decent job of going around to the touristy parts of LA.

3) Is the Griffith Observatory the best place in the area to get an awesome view of LA and hike?

Griffith Observatory is a great place to get an awesome view of LA! I would try to get their early in the A.M though so you can get a free parking spot next to the observatory. The actual obsevatroy has free entrance and you can take one of the many trails from the observatory around to different peaks along the hills

4) Santa Monica beach vs. Venice Beach. I'm sure we will end up checking out both, but what would you prefer? Any other beaches you would suggest?

Go To Santa Monica... Rent a bike, and bike down the beach bike path from SaMo to Venice.

5) Any Hotel suggestions preferably within a 15mile radius from LAX or in Santa Monica area near the beach?

Shutters Santa Monica... your welcome.

6) Finally, as a craft beer aficionado what's a must-try craft beer bar in LA? Same with dining options.. what's a must-try restaurant/food truck in LA?

Most of the top craft beer bars are in the South Bay/ Torrance area. The other hub is DTLA and Eagle Rock/Highland Park. Westside does not have a great craft brew scene.

Thank you
boom

Old 02-16-2016, 07:26 PM

@jamills, so would you suggest Malibu over Santa Barbara?

And I think I'd rather die too, but I think the wife is more excited about the Hollywood aspect of LA more than anything lol. And that Santa Monica to Venice bike trip sounds like an excellent idea.

Old 02-16-2016, 07:27 PM

And I looked up Shutters... wow didn't expect it to be $500+ a night. I'm going to have to turn that down.

My ideal price range for a hotel would be no more than $150-$200 a night

Old 02-16-2016, 07:35 PM

Quote:
@jamills, so would you suggest Malibu over Santa Barbara?

And I think I'd rather die too, but I think the wife is more excited about the Hollywood aspect of LA more than anything lol. And that Santa Monica to Venice bike trip sounds like an excellent idea.

I mean they are both really nice places. Santa Barbra is more of weekend trip to me as opposed to Malibu which is a day trip. So I guess it just depends on how much time you have. If you do go to Malibu i def recommend El Matador beach.

As for the Hollywood aspect, as long as your wife is ok with being disappointing with Hollywood blvd and looking at enclosed properties (because no person wants people looking into their house all day) I would recommend something different. Like a DTLA conservatory tour that is more about OLD Hollywood & the movie palaces that people like Charlie Chaplin built in DTLA when DTLA was really Hollywood.

SaMo to Venice is a very nice bike ride, Make sure you stop by the Venice canals. It's kinda romantic walking around the canals gawking at all the houses along it.

Old 02-16-2016, 07:36 PM

Quote:
And I looked up Shutters... wow didn't expect it to be $500+ a night. I'm going to have to turn that down.

Well, you didn't set a price range. I'm not sure what the going rate for hotels around SaMo is but if you can find something near the 3rd st. Promenade for that price, then I would just go with that.

Old 02-16-2016, 08:45 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,648,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamills21 View Post
I mean they are both really nice places. Santa Barbra is more of weekend trip to me as opposed to Malibu which is a day trip. So I guess it just depends on how much time you have. If you do go to Malibu i def recommend El Matador beach.

As for the Hollywood aspect, as long as your wife is ok with being disappointing with Hollywood blvd and looking at enclosed properties (because no person wants people looking into their house all day) I would recommend something different. Like a DTLA conservatory tour that is more about OLD Hollywood & the movie palaces that people like Charlie Chaplin built in DTLA when DTLA was really Hollywood.

SaMo to Venice is a very nice bike ride, Make sure you stop by the Venice canals. It's kinda romantic walking around the canals gawking at all the houses along it.

Great ideas, and I second Griffith Observatory, good suggestion to get there early(especially on a weekend) for parking.

On a clear day there is nothing like it.

Old 02-16-2016, 08:58 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,826,547 times
The Observatory is great for the views and there are some decent hikes in Griffith Park. Hikes there are not as serious as others around LA area, and not even as serious as ones right up the street in Glendale/Burbank but it's a nice tourist spot. If you are looking for more of a work out to get some great views, Brand Park in Glendale or Wildwood Canyon Park in Burbank are nice day hikes. If you are in that area, Golden Road Brewery is down the street and nice spot to hang out for beers and lunch

Home

Old 02-16-2016, 09:02 PM

160 posts, read 148,727 times
Quote:

Thank you
Sadly the best craft beer close to LA is the Bruery in Orange County. IMO none of the breweries in LA are even worth visiting. Just go to some good pubs/bars and get the beers from Norcal/SD.

Old 02-16-2016, 09:08 PM

4,627 posts, read 3,398,080 times
Quote:

What time of the year are you coming?

Unfortunately, you will have a very hard time finding an oceanfront hotel in Santa Monica, Malibu or Santa Barbara in that range. You might find a few exterior corridor, 1960's style "motels" along PCH in Malibu in that range, assuming it is not summer season.

Malibu is great for a scenic drive but I personally wouldn't want to stay there over night. Pretty dead at night and not a lot of retail, shopping or entertainment options. I'd prefer to stay in Santa Barbara or Santa Monica over Malibu.

Check AirBnB or look for a hotel in Santa Monica or Santa Barbara a little further inland. State Street in downtown Santa Barbara is where most of the hotels are located anyway. This is area is about 1 mile inland. Very walkable and nice area.

There is no place quite like Big Sur. Malibu is about as close as you can get to it in LA County. Just be sure you drive all the way out past Pepperdine University to Zuma Beach/Pt. Dume to the truly scenic parts of Malibu. Very scenic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles