Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2016, 08:24 PM

412 posts, read 451,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post
It is dangerous but mostly because of inattenative drivers. Almost anywhere you go in the world, motorcyclist are allowed to lane split. It is a major advantage of having a motorcycle.

More states should be like CA
Pure bull. Not to mention the fact that you can't possibly know all the traffic laws in the entire world.

I never did it even when I lived in California, even though it was legal. Lane splitting is damn dangerous and naturally outrages motorists, which is a just plain stupid thing to do when the motorist has several tons at this disposal and the motorcyclist is surrounded by nothing more than air.

The only reason it is legal in California is because the motorcycle cops want it for themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2016, 08:34 PM

1,626 posts, read 4,014,306 times
I don't think lane splitting is that dangerous in the right situations (slow or stopped freeway traffic.) It's all the other risks motorcycles face that make it dangerous. And yes, Los Angeles is a uniquely dangerous place to ride a motorcycle.

Old 02-14-2016, 08:47 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,659,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunbar42 View Post
I don't think lane splitting is that dangerous in the right situations (slow or stopped freeway traffic.) It's all the other risks motorcycles face that make it dangerous. And yes, Los Angeles is a uniquely dangerous place to ride a motorcycle.
I wouldn't do it if I was a motorcyclist, because in a place full of mentally disturbed people it's probably just a matter of time before somebody who doesn't like lane splitters tries to knock a motorcyclist down as they pass by.

Old 02-15-2016, 09:25 AM

1,319 posts, read 4,243,015 times
I notice a lot more motor scooters here than in other cities.

Old 02-15-2016, 09:25 AM

1,886 posts, read 2,098,948 times
Another thought; LA's congestion is probably intimidating to new riders, which would discourage taking the initial plunge. I didn't grow up here so I'd be interested to hear what a native thinks of this theory?

Old 02-15-2016, 11:43 AM

2,518 posts, read 2,057,589 times
I am a long-time motorcyclist. I sometimes commute in LA, and I have ridden outside the USA as well. Learning to ride (and eventually lane-split) on the 405 & 10 do represent the ultimate trial-by-fire.

there's a lot of variables - cargo, passengers, needs for outfit/presentation after your destination. But one thing I believe is always true and difficult for poltically correct people to swallow: not everyone is capable of riding.

The heightened awareness, visual & spatial acuity, judgment about different objects in motion, changing road surface traction - it's just too much for the average mother*&#$#$#. They are better off as passive taxi/uber/google car/metro passengers, if you criteria is "how can the royal we transport more people to and from work/school without increasing the number of roads/fwys?" Tripling the number of Metro busses would be more effective than tripling the number of motorcyclists.

Old 02-16-2016, 09:58 AM

3,004 posts, read 6,274,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adr3naline View Post
Another thought; LA's congestion is probably intimidating to new riders, which would discourage taking the initial plunge. I didn't grow up here so I'd be interested to hear what a native thinks of this theory?
I think you're right.

I think its a combination of a lot of factors as to why you don't see a ton of motorcycles in LA. Or at least why people don't want to take the plunge.

1. There are probably (I'm taking a guess) more cars per capita in LA than in other cities.

2. There seems to be more cross traffic than in other areas.

3. There are road rage moments against bicycles, so why not against motorcycles.

4. People who live in the city will either walk or take public transport, or need a cheap car to haul stuff, a motorcycle in this case is superfluous.

5. Unfortunately although a majority of single riders are good, you'll see a group of sportbikes slowing down the freeway (usually the 60 east) and create a bad name.

6. We also have the Mongols where I live so maybe people are intimidated by that too.

7. They have a wife that won't allow them.*

8. Lane splitting is scary/intimidating.

---------

The irony is that it is probably safer in metro LA to ride than in the suburbs, because in the suburbs the average speed is higher and there are less pedestrians. People in cars just don't look out for bikes. Though you start to see more motorcycles when you move further out into the county. I'd be willing to bet that the accidents are worse and more frequent there.

AND you do see a lot more scooters/Vespas in the city which are, I'm guessing less safe than a motorcycle because of the reduced speed, maneuverability and gear a rider could potentially wear.

----

The number one and two reasons for accidents regarding motorcycles are alcohol and speed. Not wearing a helmet and other drivers are your two other main concerns. Florida, Texas and California have the most fatalities on the list per state, but I think CA is the lowest of the big 3. However it still doesn't make it any less intimidating.

Old 02-16-2016, 06:01 PM

52,245 posts, read 52,668,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by echoParkDate View Post
clearly you are not a motorcyclist.

motorcycling in LA is EXTREMELY dangerous. so many inattentive drivers, aggressive driving, bad pavement, etc. If you want to commute at rush hour by motorcycle you have to have serious skills and willingness to take serious risks.
I agree big time. When I was a teenager my first mode of transportation was a motorcycle and while I loved riding it I had way to many close calls for my liking. I said screw it and got a car pronto.

I still look at bikes at times I wish I could get one, but IDK... the risks here are too high. I hear traffic reports on the radio and about damn near daily you'd hear of a fender bender and a motorcyclist being down, far too often for me to justify getting another motorcycle.

If I ever leave the LA area I might do it again.

Last edited by Chowhound; 02-16-2016 at 06:28 PM..

Old 02-17-2016, 07:59 AM

1,886 posts, read 2,098,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I agree big time. When I was a teenager my first mode of transportation was a motorcycle and while I loved riding it I had way to many close calls for my liking. I said screw it and got a car pronto.

I still look at bikes at times I wish I could get one, but IDK... the risks here are too high. I hear traffic reports on the radio and about damn near daily you'd hear of a fender bender and a motorcyclist being down, far too often for me to justify getting another motorcycle.

If I ever leave the LA area I might do it again.
So that falls in-line with my assumption: LA is an intimidating place for new riders which only discourages further involvement. Makes sense!

Old 02-17-2016, 03:32 PM

27 posts, read 33,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adr3naline View Post
So that falls in-line with my assumption: LA is an intimidating place for new riders which only discourages further involvement. Makes sense!
What's the motivation behind your question? Do you want a motorcycle but you're waiting for someone to discourage you?

I won't list my job or title but I've seen way too many motorcycle accidents in my profession. I can only speak for one county in this state but it seems that regardless how safe a rider you are you're simply out numbered.

Ask a tow truck driver about their haul for the day, specifically FSP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles