Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2016, 03:56 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,011,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Guelaguetza
That's the one! Four different types of mole. Love it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2016, 07:36 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theraven24 View Post
When did I say it was a fact that Los Angeles has better Mexican food than New York City? And the opinion of Los Angeles having better Mexican food than NYC is not irrational.

I wasn't specifically referring to your claims regarding Mexican food as being false, I was speaking about other things you've said that were blatantly false.
So now you get off topic because blatantly declaring Mexican good in LA as being better than Mexican good in NYC is IRRATIONAL.

Whether someone likes a particular Mexican restaurant has nothing to do with whether it is in LA or NYC. It all has to do with how the particular people in the RESTAURANT prepared the food and the restaurant setting. The fact that you can't differentiate between individual restaurants and neighborhoods in the two cities is irrational and shows poor analytical and intellectual capabilities.

You have a much higher concentration of Mexican restaurants with authentic Mexican food in the neighborhoods of both cities in areas where there are large numbers of Mexicans. Areas with low concentrations of Mexicans like the Westside of LA or lower Manhattan by definition have little in the way of authentic Mexican food, because there are fewer Mexicans living there.

Good Mexican restaurants can even be found in other parts of the East Coast including the South, as they now have decent sized Mexican populations. You seem unable to process new information.

Old 02-18-2016, 08:55 PM

Are they saying SoCal is the only place for good Mexican? Now that I can't go along with. As far as staple Americanized Mexican food, for me, it goes New Mexico Mex, Tex Mex, Cali fresh Mex, AZ Mex (which is pretty much the same as Tex Mex).

Old 02-18-2016, 09:55 PM

2,322 posts, read 2,992,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Are they saying SoCal is the only place for good Mexican? Now that I can't go along with. As far as staple Americanized Mexican food, for me, it goes New Mexico Mex, Tex Mex, Cali fresh Mex, AZ Mex (which is pretty much the same as Tex Mex).
I do think anybody is saying that but the regional difference not debatable. I don't even look for mexican food in the south. I'm not gonna subject myself to it.

Anything past Texas is iffy. It's the truth. Even ATL with Buford highway sucks ass compared to anywhere in the southwest. I can only imagine how much it suck in NYC regardless of how many Mexicans are there. It's just apart of the L.A. Culture too much for it to be any other way.

Old 02-18-2016, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamills21 View Post
I do think anybody is saying that but the regional difference not debatable. I don't even look for mexican food in the south. I'm not gonna subject myself to it.

Anything past Texas is iffy. It's the truth. Even ATL with Buford highway sucks ass compared to anywhere in the southwest. I can only imagine how much it suck in NYC regardless of how many Mexicans are there. It's just apart of the L.A. Culture too much for it to be any other way.
Deep South won't have great Mexican food. After Texas it goes downhill. Boston has some of the worst Mexican food ever.

Old 02-19-2016, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamills21 View Post

See this is just plain being closed minded to a ridiculous degree.

LA does not equal Mexican American, Mexican American culture, or Mexican American food. Nor does the Southwest.

The fact that some people here can't even be aware of their own biases or question them speaks a lot about the intellectual capabilities of some people.

To definitely declare that there can be no good Mexican food in the South, NY, or elsewhere is a massive declaration and a completely childishly irrational one. You've eaten at every Mexican restaurant in LA and outside of LA to be able to come to this conclusion?

Old 02-19-2016, 01:38 AM

3,814 posts, read 4,011,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Pizza is garbage food anywhere. It's not high quality food.

High quality Mexican food does not jump at you in Los Angeles. You do not have Mexican food equally distributed in Los Angeles. In the areas that have lots of Hispanic businesses or residents you fill find food Mexican food in Los Angeles. Areas like the West Side you'll have to go out of your way looking for Mexican food.

NYC is the same way. What some people here can't seem to understand is that NYC has many mostly Hispanic neighborhoods, and that for those of us who LIVE here, we are not going out of our way. I'm a grad student and I live in Upper Manhattan (large Latino population). Many Mexicans and other Latinos here so I can find good Mexican food easily. I'm not an idiot tourist.

I'm originally from Central Queens and there are many good Mexican places there as well because the area has a high Mexican population. When I lived I went to those Mexican places all the time, because I LIVED there.

Moron tourists go to the same couple of places in a city, and declare all life in the city based on what they see in tourists areas and yes I am including some idiots who visit LA in that category.

LOL just stop. You're not from LA. There is tons of good Mexican even in the west side, because DUH Mexicans live in the west side too. Where do you think they eat?

Please stop trying to talk as if you are an expert on Mexican food in LA. You are not from LA. Stick to Queens, NY, kid.

Old 02-19-2016, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
LOL just stop. You're not from LA. There is tons of good Mexican even in the west side, because DUH Mexicans live in the west side too. Where do you think they eat?

Please stop trying to talk as if you are an expert on Mexican food in LA. You are not from LA. Stick to Queens, NY, kid.
Define from LA.

I lived on LA and have lived on the West Side. Post to me the locations of all these great Mexican restaurants on the West Side.

Some of you made major false claims, by claiming that everywhere one went in LA that one just bumped into great Mexican restaurants everyone one went.

That is a FALSE CLAIM.

I spent 2003-2006 in Venice, CA. I was all over Marina del Rey, Playa del Rey, Santa Monica, Culver City, Westwood, Mar Vista, etc.

I actually WORKED in LA, so I'm a lot more than a tourist, and I've been all over the COUNTY.

There weren't THAT many Mexican restaurants as these areas were majority white. The best Mexican food I had in LA was in downtown and areas EAST and South. It was aimed towards Mexican nationals in areas with heavy Mexican and Latino populations. You don't have the same style in areas that are mostly WHITE.

I'm back in March.

Unlike uneducated people on this forum who can only make massive generalizations and childishly get on team cities, I'm a rational person who can deal with facts and reality. Not ridiculous opinions that cannot be proven or backed up.

Btw this is not a LA or NYC thing, because there are good Mexican restaurants all over the nation, as there are sizable Mexican populations in much of the country. Of course childishly simple minded and uneducated people cannot process much in the way of data and FACTS.

Mexicans who live in other cities in the US would know how to cook Mexican food and have the same knowledge that Mexicans in LA would.

Old 02-19-2016, 02:03 AM

3,814 posts, read 4,011,395 times
Quote:
Define from LA.

I lived on LA and have lived on the West Side. Post to me the locations of all these great Mexican restaurants on the West Side.

Some of you made major false claims, by claiming that everywhere one went in LA that one just bumped into great Mexican restaurants everyone one went.

That is a FALSE CLAIM.

I spent 2003-2006 in Venice, CA. I was all over Marina del Rey, Playa del Rey, Santa Monica, Culver City, Westwood, Mar Vista, etc.

I actually WORKED in LA, so I'm a lot more than a tourist, and I've been all over the COUNTY.

There weren't THAT many Mexican restaurants as these areas were majority white. The best Mexican food I had in LA was in downtown and areas EAST and South. It was aimed towards Mexican nationals in areas with heavy Mexican and Latino populations. You don't have the same style in areas that are mostly WHITE.

I'm back in March.

Unlike uneducated people on this forum who can only make massive generalizations and childishly get on team cities, I'm a rational person who can deal with facts and reality. Not ridiculous opinions that cannot be proven or backed up.

Btw this is not a LA or NYC thing, because there are good Mexican restaurants all over the nation, as there are sizable Mexican populations in much of the country. Of course childishly simple minded and uneducated people cannot process much in the way of data and FACTS.

Mexicans who live in other cities in the US would know how to cook Mexican food and have the same knowledge that Mexicans in LA would.

Exactly, you don't even live in LA and are not an LA native. Yet apparently in the 3 whole years you lived there (golly, what a lifetime!) you think your an expert on Mexican food in LA

This is exactly why blow ins from out east get on California residents nerves. They think they know everything about LA because they've "been all over". LA is not San Diego dude, it's not a city that you can just "figure out" after a couple years.

So yea, continue that little false narrative in your head that there is no good Mexican food on the West Side, LoL. Actual California NATIVES know you can find good Mexican food anywhere.

It's not NYC, where generic Chipotle yuppies think they are eating Mexican. Mexicans set up shop in LA's white areas because they know they can make good money. There really is not a neighborhood or city in CA that is short on good Mexican food.

Finding good Mexican in LA is like finding a good cheese steak in Philly, or a good hot dog in Chicago, or good Crabs in Baltimore, or good BBQ in Memphis. It's literally everywhere:ham d:

I'm not going to bother naming the dozens and dozens of good Mexican joints in the West LA area. You will just lie and say you went there, and that it wasn't good. Pretending to be some sort of connoisseur of Mexican Cuisine. Which of course, is a tired act played way too many times on City-Data.

Old 02-19-2016, 02:15 AM

1,824 posts, read 1,668,500 times
Quote:
You don't have the same style in areas that are mostly WHITE.
A lot of them are like white too...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles