Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2015, 04:19 PM

1,798 posts, read 3,023,818 times

Advertisements

Is the area around Alameda and 7th safe at all to walk around at night? I drive a semi truck and the warehouse is letting me park the truck in their lot tonight where I'll sleep. I thought maybe I'd take a walk and get some food this evening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2015, 04:30 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,827,302 times
Depends on your definition of safe. First off it's a pretty industrialized area with nothing to do or see so no real reason to walk around. It is pretty shady over there even during the day. I would get a cab and head down to Seven Grand, the Standard, LA Live or something depending on what you want to do

Old 12-10-2015, 04:49 PM

1,714 posts, read 3,854,171 times
You can walk down to the Arts District and Little Tokyo for food, coffee, and alcoholic drinks.

All the stuff of interest are about a few block radius of 2nd and Alameda or so. Use Yelp or Google to guide you to the right areas.

Just walk along Alameda and you should be OK since it's a major street, but it is kind of dark and industrial. Do what you feel safe.

Old 12-10-2015, 04:53 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,820,291 times
Sounds like fun, have a great time!

Old 12-10-2015, 05:13 PM
PDF

11,396 posts, read 13,429,591 times
Have fun, New Horizons...I know you take advantage of the times you are in LA. Little Tokyo is pretty interesting at night.

Old 12-10-2015, 07:37 PM

Thank you all for the suggestions. I walked down Alameda to 4th , made a left to Spring, down to 8th, went left, then back to the warehouse. Just a small circle. Downtown LA is very big. You're not going to hit all the major streets in a couple hours. My feet got tired, plus I didn't want to be roaming around in the dark.

I was a little overwhelmed. So many old buildings, hotels, and warehouses. All these districts of commerce, like florists. I came upon that skid row area and saw all those tents and squalor, it took my breath away for a second.

I wish I could comb every street downtown. They're all so interesting and have so much character. That's a gritty, raw downtown. I like it.

Old 12-10-2015, 07:52 PM
PDF

11,396 posts, read 13,429,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Horizons View Post
Thank you all for the suggestions. I walked down Alameda to 4th , made a left to Spring, down to 8th, went left, then back to the warehouse. Just a small circle. Downtown LA is very big. You're not going to hit all the major streets in a couple hours. My feet got tired, plus I didn't want to be roaming around in the dark.

I was a little overwhelmed. So many old buildings, hotels, and warehouses. All these districts of commerce, like florists. I came upon that skid row area and saw all those tents and squalor, it took my breath away for a second.

I wish I could comb every street downtown. They're all so interesting and have so much character. That's a gritty, raw downtown. I like it.
Much more difficult to navigate at night. Come back during the day sometime, chill out in a park, go to Grand Central Market, etc.

Old 12-10-2015, 08:29 PM

2,436 posts, read 2,796,698 times
You've GOT to visit my favorite bookstore, The Last Bookstore, on 4th/5th and Spring. It's wonderful.

Old 12-10-2015, 10:39 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,413,624 times
I'm jealous.

I'd have added, going for Weisbier and sausage.

Old 12-13-2015, 10:07 AM

Turns out I had the whole next day to kill downtown too. So I got to really explore the place in the daytime. That Broadway Street is really something else.

Soon I'm going to take a personal trip in my car (not an 18 wheeler), and I'm going to trailer my little Harley Sportster 883 behind my car. And I'm going to get on that little Sportster and explore every nook and cranny in downtown, Hollywood, Koreatown, Venice, and everything in between. Then I'm going to shoot through the Cahuenga Pass on my little V-Twin cruiser and explore the San Fernando Valley. It will be the most exciting day of my life.

Oh man I sound like that kid in Mask with his little thumbtack board, "I'm going to go there, and there, and there..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
I'm jealous.
Ah man! That's cool, if you were with me I'd buy you lunch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles