Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2016, 02:29 AM

61 posts, read 92,653 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am requesting advice from experienced, seasoned users of LA's public transportation system.

What areas would you recommend I live in if I will be working at the Van Nuys Government Center on Van Nuys Blvd?
I will be moving from Albuquerque NM. I am female, older, do not drive and have used public transit all my life, yes, I am used to the long commute.
I requested a temporary transfer to CA to be closer to an ailing relative, no more than 2 years, after that I will probably go back to NM or Phoenix. I love living in ABQ. It's a very diverse, unpretentious and laid back city. Public transit here is fairly decent if you live in the right area. I am able to go where I need to go with little difficulty, and for longer trips cabs are plentiful. It takes me an hour to get to work right now and I am fine with that. NM weather is usually nice so I don't consider it a hardship. For comparison's sake, I will add that I used live in the midwest where I used to commute 2 hours each way in all kinds of weather. I have also bicycled to work in snow, ice and rain.

My limit for rent is $1600.00. Of course cheaper would be great. I am looking for a place near the bus line to go to work, shopping for groceries and household necessities. No need for any night life or excitement, I am old and boring I just need a quiet, pet friendly rental, older building would be great since it might be more sound proof.

Thank you in advance for your advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2016, 02:45 AM

115 posts, read 72,189 times
you can try to live around the orange line route in van nuys or elsewhere in the valley..

Old 03-06-2016, 08:12 AM

4,795 posts, read 4,824,614 times
$1600 might limit you to a place like Van Nuys so might as well look as close to work as possible. Maybe walkable commute

Old 03-06-2016, 09:19 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,199,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie21 View Post
you can try to live around the orange line route in van nuys or elsewhere in the valley..
The orange line has a stop just down the street from the van nuys govt center. The orange line is bus road separate from vehicle traffic. $1600 should get you a decent 1br apartment in a nice area. The orange line doesn't go through any bad areas and also has dedicated bike lines almost its entire length. Good luck!

Old 03-06-2016, 11:57 AM

4,538 posts, read 10,631,284 times
Hi OP, I'll echo what everyone else said. Btw if you want to go out exploring, the Orange line goes into the North Hollywood Red Line Station and from there it's an easy rail ride through Hollywood, K-Town, and Downtown LA where you can catch Other lines that go to Long Beach, Pasadena, South Bay, and elsewhere.

Old 03-06-2016, 12:35 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,642,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janebailey View Post
Hello,

I am requesting advice from experienced, seasoned users of LA's public transportation system.

What areas would you recommend I live in if I will be working at the Van Nuys Government Center on Van Nuys Blvd?
I will be moving from Albuquerque NM. I am female, older, do not drive and have used public transit all my life, yes, I am used to the long commute.
I requested a temporary transfer to CA to be closer to an ailing relative, no more than 2 years, after that I will probably go back to NM or Phoenix. I love living in ABQ. It's a very diverse, unpretentious and laid back city. Public transit here is fairly decent if you live in the right area. I am able to go where I need to go with little difficulty, and for longer trips cabs are plentiful. It takes me an hour to get to work right now and I am fine with that. NM weather is usually nice so I don't consider it a hardship. For comparison's sake, I will add that I used live in the midwest where I used to commute 2 hours each way in all kinds of weather. I have also bicycled to work in snow, ice and rain.

My limit for rent is $1600.00. Of course cheaper would be great. I am looking for a place near the bus line to go to work, shopping for groceries and household necessities. No need for any night life or excitement, I am old and boring I just need a quiet, pet friendly rental, older building would be great since it might be more sound proof.

Thank you in advance for your advice.
If you're moving here due to an sick relative, is there some reason you wouldn't just live with them?

Having done caregiving myself, I don't see how you're going to be able to help much if you're working full time, and than living elsewhere, especially if you don't drive.

If you do rent $1,600 or less will get you a decent apt in the Valley. I would look along Woodman, near Oxnard. That puts you on the border of Sherman Oaks and Van Nuys.

Old 03-06-2016, 05:28 PM

Thank you for the input.
I took the job so I can be in the same state as my relative, however, I am not the caregiver, other family members are. The going back and forth was costing me money and vacation time. There were positions available nearer to where he is but I would have had to take a downgrade in pay.
Is Van Nuys that bad? I have friends from San Bernadino who advised me not to live in the area.

Old 03-06-2016, 05:52 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,642,029 times
Quote:
Thank you for the input.
I took the job so I can be in the same state as my relative, however, I am not the caregiver, other family members are. The going back and forth was costing me money and vacation time. There were positions available nearer to where he is but I would have had to take a downgrade in pay.
Is Van Nuys that bad? I have friends from San Bernadino who advised me not to live in the area.
The area you will be working in isn't the best. Not that it is unsafe.

I mentioned earlier Woodman at Oxnard intersection, I believe that is technically Van Nuys. There are nice homes and apt buildings in that area.

There is also what is now called Lake Balboa(which was also Van Nuys) which is nice.

The further north you go into Van Nuys the worse the area gets. But you should be able to find something in the Van Nuys/ Sherman Oaks area for your price range and an easy commute.

Old 03-06-2016, 06:37 PM

733 posts, read 940,227 times
Quote:
Thank you for the input.
They're from San Bernadino but they talk **** about Van Nuys? XD

Along the orange line is great, it gets real crowded real often though just to warn you, but hey I say you might as well live in Van Nuys, I don't think it's that bad, and it's pretty diverse. If not Valley Glen is nicer and right next door.

Old 03-06-2016, 11:14 PM

San B people warning me about Van Nuys. Yes, precisely I would laugh if the same opinion came from say, some of my relatives in SF, but I figure if anyone knows what a bad neighborhood is it would be San Bernadinians. I do plan to take a tour of any potential choices before making any final decisions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles