Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 05:10 PM

1,203 posts, read 4,419,548 times

Advertisements

Quick question for you LA natives...

What do you think the best way to handle salary negotiations is in LA? I know that the salaries aren't MUCH higher in LA(although some salary calculators vary higher), but it will cost more to live there obviously. Is there are "rule of thumb" for going into a job interview? Does it depend on the market?

Thanks again for everyone's help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2008, 05:30 PM

852 posts, read 3,815,049 times
It depends on the field and the company's place in that field. Do your homework on how relevant the business is and negotiate accordingly.

Old 02-12-2008, 05:46 PM

723 posts, read 2,999,471 times
Unless stated otherwise, all salaries depend on your ability to sell your skills to an employer.

Old 02-12-2008, 05:59 PM

For example: We go through the interview process, and at the end he offers me the job at $45,000 a year. I did my research and I see that the average person in my position makes a little more then that... Do I say a specific number? Or would it be best to kinda estimate or round a little at a time....

Gosh, I have alot of stuff to take care of.... Thanks for the help!

Old 02-12-2008, 06:02 PM

2,589 posts, read 8,639,854 times
ask for what you think you are worth in this market. the worst that could happen is that they say NO!

Old 02-12-2008, 06:18 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,766,781 times
if they are offering you less than you think is acceptable(if less than average isnt acceptable to you than this fits), tell them that you want x per hour or x salary. you may get what you want, you may get a compromise, they may tell you no, and they may tell you no and call you in a few weeks if none of the other applicants pan out.

or, work something else out, like a promotion plan. 45000 to start, but with a reevaluation at 6mo to get a boost if you fit the bill, since you feel you could go elsewhere and get more.

i havent lived anywhere else, but ive always expected salaries in a basic business world to be fairly negotiable based on market conditions and your skill level. its up to you to sell them on the fact that you're worth what you're asking for if its more than they are initially offering. just like negotiating on a car

Old 02-12-2008, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhcompy View Post
if they are offering you less than you think is acceptable(if less than average isnt acceptable to you than this fits), tell them that you want x per hour or x salary. you may get what you want, you may get a compromise, they may tell you no, and they may tell you no and call you in a few weeks if none of the other applicants pan out.

or, work something else out, like a promotion plan. 45000 to start, but with a reevaluation at 6mo to get a boost if you fit the bill, since you feel you could go elsewhere and get more.

i havent lived anywhere else, but ive always expected salaries in a basic business world to be fairly negotiable based on market conditions and your skill level. its up to you to sell them on the fact that you're worth what you're asking for if its more than they are initially offering. just like negotiating on a car
Great post! Thanks!

Old 02-12-2008, 07:26 PM

You never talk money. Let them talk money.

You let THEM talk money. When negotiating, you always hold your cards to your chest. No one can see what you're willing to accept UNTIL you accept. Do not accept the future carrot "6 month evaluation" BS unless you get it in writing with a minimum % guaranteed.

When negotiating a salary, you never say a number. If say they make an offer that is within a ballpark of what you want, the correct sentence is:

"Is there anything we could do about the compensation package?"

It is the professional way of saying "Higher..."

Old 02-12-2008, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSparrow View Post

You let THEM talk money. When negotiating, you always hold your cards to your chest. No one can see what you're willing to accept UNTIL you accept. Do not accept the future carrot "6 month evaluation" BS unless you get it in writing with a minimum % guaranteed.

When negotiating a salary, you never say a number. If say they make an offer that is within a ballpark of what you want, the correct sentence is:

"Is there anything we could do about the compensation package?"

It is the professional way of saying "Higher..."
+1 Once again Sparrow, you nailed my question right on the head. You pretty much closed the thread.... Congrats!

Old 02-13-2008, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnoxTown View Post
+1 Once again Sparrow, you nailed my question right on the head. You pretty much closed the thread.... Congrats!
Thank you for reading!

You already know, but I'll post it for the benefit of others, that if you say a number, the company now has a "range" at which to guage you.

If the 'number' you say is too high, then they lose interest quickly thinking that you are a primadonna, over qualified, greedy or other...

If the 'number' you say is too low, then they potentially gain interest quickly thinking that you are desperate, undereducated on pay scales, or worse...

If the 'number' you say is average/correct, then they have no reason to negotiate higher. You've hit the mark (and potentially cut yourself out of the extra $5k-$10k they were THINKING about offering you).

In either scenario either too high or too low, they have the upper hand because they now know what you are thinking. In the 'average' scenario, they have the upper hand because there's no need to negotiate more.

I have in this process of not talking, got myself a $16,000 pay increase during a job interview because the interviewer panicked (not wanting to offend me) and offered me a big salary.

This can work for you too. If an employer is smart, they will check your references and employment history and have an idea of what you're worth. If not you can take advantage of their unpreparedness by keeping your mouth shut and letting them do all the talking, only nudging them ever so slightly when you want more, but the same way a great poker player signals- resolute subtlety.

Also bear in mind, this is just ONE approach. This is the approach that has worked for me. For you, the approach may be to go in there and roar like a lion. More than likely, you wont have to deal with this too much. most interviewers already know all the numbers they want to talk about.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
View detailed profiles of: