Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2016, 07:02 AM

2,322 posts, read 2,993,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
It has EVERYTHING to do with the local PDs - the geographic scope is the city of Los Angeles, not the city of Glendale or any other city.

Thus, the cops where Otero lives can continue to keep order, while in the big bad city of L.A. the cops have to surrender to the homeless.

As if there are not already enough reasons to not move to nor open a business in L.A. City...

http://michaelkohlhaas.org/wp/wp-con...injunction.pdf
the order only extends to the area around skid row. the rest of the city isn't effected by this injunction.

Last edited by jamills21; 04-16-2016 at 07:19 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2016, 07:26 AM

4,627 posts, read 3,395,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KazChasey View Post

Bravo, libs. Bravo.
Judge Otero was appointed by George W. Bush

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S._James_Otero

Old 04-16-2016, 08:40 AM

7,321 posts, read 6,928,039 times
How about the city just walk in and take your home ,eminent domain.
It's done all the time when some city wants something that just happens to run through some housing area.
How bout your boss comes to you today and says sorry we are laying every one off and moving the company to Mexico .
Your 50 years old and renting a place that is on the market to be sold and you don't have the money for a the first and last on a another rental, due to Obama care, jack ups on your health insurance leave you even more broke.
And you've got heath issues.
Most homeless did not choose to be homeless ,and many that I know personally had good jobs before being dismantled .
Not all these people are druggies, and some only turn that way after becoming homeless because they lost hope and gave up on them self.
Life is UNFAIR, some times it is character ,or family or as series of bad events or homes under water, any number of things can be the breaking point. Many folk I know have tow part time jobs but the commute between them, barely makes sense for the gas spent to get there,+ baby sitters and all the other things of life.
I have been homeless , I know what it's like. I lived in the desert, in the middle of no where .rattlesnakes came right in the shanty we lived in. Hauled water in 10 miles from town. and lived on solar thermal and photovoltaic and made do .
Jobs were hard to find and often you had to know some one well known in town to get a job.
A place we were getting food assistance form hired me to haul goods and I did that till I got a regular job. there were hundreds of others that were in my position but the charity did not have the resource to hire every one .
Most of the reason people are homeless is the fact the democrats gave away this countries manufacturing with NAFTA.

Old 04-16-2016, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
How about the city just walk in and take your home ,eminent domain.
It's done all the time when some city wants something that just happens to run through some housing area.
How bout your boss comes to you today and says sorry we are laying every one off and moving the company to Mexico .
Your 50 years old and renting a place that is on the market to be sold and you don't have the money for a the first and last on a another rental, due to Obama care, jack ups on your health insurance leave you even more broke.
And you've got heath issues.
Most homeless did not choose to be homeless ,and many that I know personally had good jobs before being dismantled .
Not all these people are druggies, and some only turn that way after becoming homeless because they lost hope and gave up on them self.
Life is UNFAIR, some times it is character ,or family or as series of bad events or homes under water, any number of things can be the breaking point. Many folk I know have tow part time jobs but the commute between them, barely makes sense for the gas spent to get there,+ baby sitters and all the other things of life.
I have been homeless , I know what it's like. I lived in the desert, in the middle of no where .rattlesnakes came right in the shanty we lived in. Hauled water in 10 miles from town. and lived on solar thermal and photovoltaic and made do .
Jobs were hard to find and often you had to know some one well known in town to get a job.
A place we were getting food assistance form hired me to haul goods and I did that till I got a regular job. there were hundreds of others that were in my position but the charity did not have the resource to hire every one .
Most of the reason people are homeless is the fact the democrats gave away this countries manufacturing with NAFTA.
The court order basically says you can't take homeless possession without notice and due process. I would hope that people would like their constitutional rights not to be violated.

Old 04-16-2016, 10:11 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,463,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamills21 View Post
The court order basically says you can't take homeless possession without notice and due process. I would hope that people would like their constitutional rights not to be violated.
Right.
It's their constitutional right to litter up the sidewalks and oftentimes on private property too?
Where does it say in the constitution that people , homeless or not can use public property to store multiple shopping carts ....(which are stolen shopping carts that belong to private businesses ) full of stuff on the public streets.
I don't think the problem is with a homeless guy with a backpack , the issue is that people don't want the city looking like a 3rd world slum.
Just like not all people that live in houses or apartments are hoarders, not all homeless or hoarders too.

Just wondering , have you seen the types of mini tent cities that I'm talking about . Drive through Hollywood , East Hollywood and other areas and you will see them.

It just should not be tolerated. Other cities don't have the same problem. They have homeless in other cities too , but the situation hasn't gotten so out of hand.

Old 04-16-2016, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Right.
It's their constitutional right to litter up the sidewalks and oftentimes on private property too?
Where does it say in the constitution that people , homeless or not can use public property to store multiple shopping carts ....(which are stolen shopping carts that belong to private businesses ) full of stuff on the public streets.
I don't think the problem is with a homeless guy with a backpack , the issue is that people don't want the city looking like a 3rd world slum.
Just like not all people that live in houses or apartments are hoarders, not all homeless or hoarders too.

Just wondering , have you seen the types of mini tent cities that I'm talking about . Drive through Hollywood , East Hollywood and other areas and you will see them.

It just should not be tolerated. Other cities don't have the same problem. They have homeless in other cities too , but the situation hasn't gotten so out of hand.

Yeah, but that's not what the court order is about. If you read the last page, the court spells out what the city should do. Basically, they're saying that the areas around Skid Row (so not the entire city) police are enjoined from just hapazardly confiscating peoples possessions, without 24hrs notice. Some of those possessions are things like medication or whatever is neccessary for survival. It sounds like the courts solution would be to create 24 hr facilities where homeless can store their possessions.

Old 04-16-2016, 10:53 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,463,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamills21 View Post
Yeah, but that's not what the court order is about. If you read the last page, the court spells out what the city should do.
Sorry, but do you think the police are realistically going to spend their time sorting through and cataloging each and every single piece of 'belongings'

You know what's going to happen. They are going to realize it takes too much time to do all of that and just turn the other way.

I mean can you imagine how much time it would take to go through shopping carts filled with god knows what, and then cataloging each and every piece , determining if they are hazardous or not...then loading up all that stuff...then storing it somewhere?..

The obvious intention of this ruling was to render it virtually impossible to do anything by putting in this long list of 'protocol'

LAPD officers or other city workers are just not going to go through the effort of doing anything.
Do you think they will want to risk losing their careers because they 'confiscated' an item from a homeless person that they weren't supposed to.
It's just too much red tape and will make the situation worse.

Creating 24 hour facilities? Where ? With property prices and construction costs what they are? To store all the homeless residents stuff? It could cost hundreds of millions of billions.

Old 04-16-2016, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Sorry, but do you think the police are realistically going to spend their time sorting through and cataloging each and every single piece of 'belongings'

You know what's going to happen. They are going to realize it takes too much time to do all of that and just turn the other way.

I mean can you imagine how much time it would take to go through shopping carts filled with god knows what, and then cataloging each and every piece , determining if they are hazardous or not...then loading up all that stuff...then storing it somewhere?..

The obvious intention of this ruling was to render it virtually impossible to do anything by putting in this long list of 'protocol'

LAPD officers or other city workers are just not going to go through the effort of doing anything.
Do you think they will want to risk losing their careers because they 'confiscated' an item from a homeless person that they weren't supposed to.
It's just too much red tape and will make the situation worse.

Creating 24 hour facilities? Where ? With property prices and construction costs what they are? To store all the homeless residents stuff? It could cost hundreds of millions of billions.
The Police aren't doing the sorting. The Homeless are. 2. Did you actually read the opinion. Take some time to actually read the opinion and not just the last page. That will make it more clear for you. Start on pg 4.

Old 04-16-2016, 04:54 PM

6 posts, read 5,004 times
Just moved back to LA after about 20 years. Unbelievable how bad the problem with the homeless (i.e., the bums and vagrants) has become. Love how they stench up the sidewalks by urinating and defecating where they please. Love how they camp out on the benches meant for people waiting for buses. Love their "constitutional rights."

Old 04-16-2016, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlspam2015 View Post
Just moved back to LA after about 20 years. Unbelievable how bad the problem with the homeless (i.e., the bums and vagrants) has become. Love how they stench up the sidewalks by urinating and defecating where they please. Love how they camp out on the benches meant for people waiting for buses. Love their "constitutional rights."
It's bad all along the west coast. Seriously, The feds are so far away they don't understand the problem. Visit the SF, Seattle, Denver, Portland, Honolulu, and San Diego forums some time. It's so sad. It's basically legal to be homeless. I have a family member who is homeless so I care deeply about these problems. I would love to start a petition for the federal government to address these issues but it will probably get buried in the news cycle. I want the constitution to protect everybody, and the homeless have constitutional rights as well. At the same time, homelessness is so far down the totem pole in terms of whats wrong with America that it'll take mass protest to resolve the issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles