Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2016, 09:29 AM

1,319 posts, read 4,243,340 times

Advertisements

In Cheyenne a typical 3bd 2 bath house will rent for about $1200.
It's cheap to build there for many reasons: little red tape, outside of the city limits permits are not required, low taxes, land is plentiful and cheap.
And mostly because construction is FAST. It takes at least 1 year to build a home in LA. In Wyoming if I want to I can build a home in 1 month.

The IE is a bit easier than LA, but not a lot. A lot of the "rules" come from the state and each county has to enforce them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2016, 09:37 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times
Another article from WSJ yesterday about this
Los Angeles Mayor Proposes Spending $138 Million on Homeless Problem - WSJ

Also , I hadn't heard this before.

"Earlier this month, the mayor signed an ordinance limiting the amount of property people can store on the streets to 60 gallons. Last week, a federal judge said the city cannot remove and destroy all the belongings of homeless people, such as medications."

Why are we letting people store 60 gallons of stuff on the street. Also I wonder if the judge's ruling overrides this anyways and the homeless can now store anything on the street?

What is the goal for this program? Is it to literally house anyone that is homeless here at the cost of $400,000 a unit and then the cost of up keeping and maintaining that unit and paying the utilities on it?...

"L.A.'s chronically homeless population has grown 55%, to 12,536, since 2013,"
Source:L.A. tops nation in chronic homeless population - LA Times

If we run the numbers at $400,000 a unit , just to build it's going to be over $5billion..
That's not including any maintenance, upkeep, utilities,etc.
Plus since the number of homeless keeps increasing..most likely from out of state or outside the city ..homeless relocating here. It's going to continue costing more billions to keep housing the homeless.
Even if the city sells $80million worth of property it's going to be a drop in the bucket.
Spending $100 million a year while a huge amount, most likely will not even do anything. It's still going to be the same thing..but they'll through up some buildings developed by their 'affordable housing' cronies...and Eric will do a press conference saying how great it is that people finally have a home!

Old 04-21-2016, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyPhoenix View Post
In Cheyenne a typical 3bd 2 bath house will rent for about $1200.
It's cheap to build there for many reasons: little red tape, outside of the city limits permits are not required, low taxes, land is plentiful and cheap.
And mostly because construction is FAST. It takes at least 1 year to build a home in LA. In Wyoming if I want to I can build a home in 1 month.

The IE is a bit easier than LA, but not a lot. A lot of the "rules" come from the state and each county has to enforce them.
Wow that's amazing 1 month versus a year.
I've heard something similar in regards to opening restaurants.

"Puzder said the average wait time in Los Angeles is eight months, roughly four times as long as it takes in Texas and twice as long as in Siberia, Russia, he said.

As the permits are being prepared, the lot is sitting empty, doing nothing but costing the prospective business owner money, effectively adding to the cost of opening a business, he said."
Carl's Jr. CEO says California tough on business - The Orange County Register

With building if it takes a year that's a lot of money on holding costs like interest on a loan,etc and then your money is tied up in that project for a long time.

Old 04-21-2016, 09:46 AM

I've seen restaurants go bankrupt before even opening because they are paying rent while waiting for the govt to do their thing.
Many never even open because they run out of money waiting for the goobers to get off their butts.

Old 04-21-2016, 10:02 AM

Quote:
I've seen restaurants go bankrupt before even opening because they are paying rent while waiting for the govt to do their thing.
Many never even open because they run out of money waiting for the goobers to get off their butts.
There is a business on my street that looks like it's in the process of opening..but it's been like that for at least 6 months.. I saw them remodelling and stuff..and there's been a Coming Soon sign...but it still hasn't opened.
I'm wondering if it will ever open and if the issue is something with permits...
It's a small bakery...I was actually pretty happy when I found out it was going to be a bakery..because prior to that it had been a couple different illegal 'medical'marijuana shops , then briefly a used tire shop..that had a lot of illegal signs and tires all over the street..then it was vacant for a while and they started painting and stuff..but now ..nothing for a long time.

Old 04-21-2016, 10:16 AM

4,538 posts, read 10,629,904 times
This of course completely ignores the fact that all the housing in the world won't actually solve the problem of people living on the streets.

Old 04-21-2016, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG72 View Post
This of course completely ignores the fact that all the housing in the world won't actually solve the problem of people living on the streets.
True.

Many of the homeless are mentally ill. That needs to be addressed before anything.

Old 04-21-2016, 10:24 AM

Mental hospitals built out where land is dirt cheap would probably be the best solution. But I don't feel L.A should bear all of this cost.
There is a reason that homeless are called transients. They often move around the country. Not sure why we have to 'claim' them and pay to house all of them like Garcetti wants to..

I'm guessing because it's the 'politically correct' thing to do...like making public bathrooms 'gender neutral' . There is a school in South L.A that just got gender nea
http://www.westernjournalism.com/fig...tral-bathroom/

Part of the plan has to be to get the majority of these people out of super high cost L.A.
That's not going to be DTLA L.A , the westside or any part of the San Fernando valley.

Last edited by jm1982; 04-21-2016 at 10:36 AM..

Old 04-21-2016, 10:28 AM

Palmdale/Lancaster.

Old 04-21-2016, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Palmdale/Lancaster.
E Ave L Near 65th St, Palmdale, CA 93591 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®

Nearly 20 acres for $100,000.
Can't even get a tiny tiny lot in L.A for $100,000...
20 acres is big.
They can call it Homeless,CA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles