Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2016, 09:37 AM

2,624 posts, read 7,261,059 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanViewer View Post
The lack of black people in LA was never my concern, just an observation. I'm in love with Southern California for the scenery, weather, and location, not for the percentage of different ethnic groups. Who gives a sh*t, as long as I'm treated with respect and given equal opportunities.
Considering the discriminatory shenanigans of some of the local employers, don't count on having equal opportunities...
8 black employees file racial, gender discrimination lawsuit against Boeing in El Segundo
Jury Awards Ex-Employee Of Roscoe’s Chicken N’ Waffles $1.6M In Race Discrimination Suit -- CBS Los Angeles

Old 05-12-2016, 09:49 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,013,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamills21 View Post
NO is majority AA. I'm really talking about the nightlife. I live in uptown, which most would consider the nicest part of the city of New Orleans. But the nightlife is catered towards the people who live there which is mostly white. I like uptown and the bars but it's just different. And Ive tried going to other spots as well so it's not like I'm just staying in the general area. I lived in ATL too and NO is just different. Part of the problem is that a lot of NO is very poor. So, the AA spots tend to be pretty hood and the "nice" clubs are way fewer than what you would think or they just aren't that great. I'm not just talking about festivles, which everybody goes too. Zulu is probably the Mardi Gras parade you went too which is awesome. But Mardi Gras is a heightened version of living in NO. Hell, even L.A. Has the BET experience where you'll see a ton of black people.
Jamil, brah, you live in NOLA! One of the most unique and exciting cities in America. Mark Twain said it was one of four truly great cities in America that stood out from the endless urbanity. I think perhaps you think WAY too highly of LA that you're missing out on the great things about NOLA. When I speak to African Americans here they say they LOVE NOLA, not like it but love it, some say that that would be the other city they'd move to or ATL. Many AA Angelenos have family in Louisiana and can trace their family lineage to the state. They talk about the vibe and food of the city with great admiration and yet all I hear from you is I miss LA, I miss LA. Nothing is ever good enough and now NOLA isn't black enough? No jazz clubs? No hip hop? No blues in Nola? C'mon man. The rose colored glasses and overly nostalgic memories of your home city are really blinding you to see the good stuff of the city you're in now. It's gotten beyond boosting, dude

Old 05-12-2016, 10:01 AM

2,322 posts, read 2,993,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Jamil, brah, you live in NOLA! One of the most unique and exciting cities in America. Mark Twain said it was one of four truly great cities in America that stood out from the endless urbanity. I think perhaps you think WAY too highly of LA that you're missing out on the great things about NOLA. When I speak to African Americans here they say they LOVE NOLA, not like it but love it, some say that that would be the other city they'd move to or ATL. Many AA Angelenos have family in Louisiana and can trace their family lineage to the state. They talk about the vibe and food of the city with great admiration and yet all I hear from you is I miss LA, I miss LA. Nothing is ever good enough and now NOLA isn't black enough? No jazz clubs? No hip hop? No blues in Nola? C'mon man. The rose colored glasses and overly nostalgic memories of your home city are really blinding you to see the good stuff of the city you're in now. It's gotten beyond boosting, dude

Bruh, I've lived here for almost two years and busted constantly before I came here visiting family and friends. I think I know what the hell in talking about lol. I love NO but it's a fact that this city is very segregated by race and income and that has an effect to the nightlife. More so than LA even or ATL. You've missed some of my other post cause I've been declared that I love NO. I have lineage to Louisana which is one of the reasons I decided to live out here. So, just cause I think there is more less to do for a black person doesn't mean there is nothing to do for a black person obviously. Most of the places in uptown, mid city, frenchman st, marigny, bywater, are geared towards hipsters. And the clubs are not that great compared to LA or ATL. However, the culture is def AA influenced but black people are poor asf out here compared to their white counterparts. So stop thinking you know how I feel, cause **** LA if you think I got rose colored anything it's the damn truth.

Last edited by jamills21; 05-12-2016 at 10:10 AM..

Old 05-12-2016, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Bruh, I've lived here for almost two years. I think I know what the hell in talking about lol. I love NO but it's a fact that this city is very segregated by race and income and that has an effect to the nightlife. More so than LA even or ATL. You've missed some of my other post cause I've been declared that I love NO. I have lineage to Louisana which is one of the reasons I decided to live out here. So, just cause I think there is more less to do for a black person doesn't mean there is nothing to do for a black person.
I have missed those other posts in between all the posts where Nola just doesn't match up enough to LA. How could a small city like Nola match up fully? But at the same time Nola is a city with rich AA history and culture segregated or not. Maybe you're just too "grown and sexy" LOL? A bit bougie, no?

Old 05-12-2016, 10:12 AM

Quote:
I have missed those other posts in between all the posts where Nola just doesn't match up enough to LA. How could a small city like Nola match up fully? But at the same time Nola is a city with rich AA history and culture segregated or not. Maybe you're just too "grown and sexy" LOL? A bit bougie, no?
You wish you knew how I am lol. And I've never said anything negative about NO besides I think it's very segregated by income and race. I love NO so stop inferring things from my post cause you really don't know a thing about me.

Old 05-12-2016, 10:22 AM

Quote:
You wish you knew how I am lol. And I've never said anything negative about NO besides I think it's very segregated by income and race. I love NO so stop inferring things from my post cause you really don't know a thing about me.
I'm just kidding but I was just shocked that you thought LA was more AA centric than Nola. Maybe it's cus I don't go to the AA areas enough but LA as a whole to me AAs seem almost invisible and I certainly don't see it as hub for AAs like ATL or NOLA or even Houston where I grew up around the culture and it's very prevalent.

Old 05-12-2016, 10:24 AM

205 posts, read 174,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post

The owner of Roscoes is AA. He was just dumb and didn't keep tabs on the managers he put into place. Apparently, he had a personal relationship with the female manager who was playing favorites with schedule assignments. The AA employee who was being discriminated against fought it in court and won.

Old 05-12-2016, 10:27 AM

205 posts, read 174,513 times
Quote:
Bruh, I've lived here for almost two years and busted constantly before I came here visiting family and friends. I think I know what the hell in talking about lol. I love NO but it's a fact that this city is very segregated by race and income and that has an effect to the nightlife. More so than LA even or ATL. You've missed some of my other post cause I've been declared that I love NO. I have lineage to Louisana which is one of the reasons I decided to live out here. So, just cause I think there is more less to do for a black person doesn't mean there is nothing to do for a black person obviously. Most of the places in uptown, mid city, frenchman st, marigny, bywater, are geared towards hipsters. And the clubs are not that great compared to LA or ATL. However, the culture is def AA influenced but black people are poor asf out here compared to their white counterparts. So stop thinking you know how I feel, cause **** LA if you think I got rose colored anything it's the damn truth.
True. The biggest industry out there is the service industry. If you are trying to make a lot of money, you will most likely have to go to Atlanta or Charlotte. The higher paying industries aren't in N.O. It is a great city though and a lot of fun to visit!

Old 05-12-2016, 10:27 AM

Quote:
I'm just kidding but I was just shocked that you thought LA was more AA centric than Nola. Maybe it's cus I don't go to the AA areas enough but LA as a whole to me AAs seem almost invisible and I certainly don't see it as hub for AAs like ATL or NOLA or even Houston where I grew up around the culture and it's very prevalent.
See, I didn't say LA was more Afro Centric than NO. I said there are more things to as an AA. Two completely separate issues. Income has a lot to do with it. If you lived here you would find that NO is extremely poor and that has an effect on nightlife outside of the touristy spots. Go to magazine st, then go s couple blocks up. It's night and day.

Old 05-12-2016, 10:32 AM

Quote:
See, I didn't say LA was more Afro Centric than NO. I said there are more things to as an AA. Two completely separate issues. Income has a lot to do with it. If you lived here you would find that NO is extremely poor and that has an effect on nightlife outside of the touristy spots. Go to magazine st, then go s couple blocks up. It's night and day.
But the AA sections of the city are very segregated too and the poverty is just as high for a lot of people here too. I'm sure not all AAs are poor and not enjoying what MOLA has to offer either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles