Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2016, 09:56 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,463,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Never heard of anyone doing that, but I knew people who took their kids to Skid Row not only to show them how good they had it but also to show them what would happen if they used hard drugs.
I wonder how effective it would be though . I'm guessing the average middle class of wealthy kid might see people strung out on skid row and think , " but that won't happen to me "
They probably just imagine they'll end up at some nice rehab facility as worst case scenario .
I guess it might be worth a shot though .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2016, 04:29 AM

317 posts, read 403,753 times
I moved here recently and went from the NoHo arts district which I didn't really like at all to living near USC on 39th now. The "ghetto" ain't so bad as it turns out. Rich people are so ignorant. And I know this because I work in snobby hills. Sorry, Beverly Hills.

Old 05-30-2016, 11:06 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,463,616 times
Rich people can be ignorant and poor people can be ignorant too .
Also with housing prices the way they are a lot of people living in " ghetto " areas aren't necessarily poor in LA , lots of middle class people will buy in ghetto areas because they aren't afford the gentrified or high end areas like Beverly Hills , west la , etc .

Also lots of those long time homeowners in ghetto areas are now sitting on a lot of equity since they have their homes paid off or buy when homes were a fraction of what they are now
Probably hard to find a home under 500,000 in the neighborhood near Usc you live in .

Old 05-31-2016, 05:15 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
I don't claim to be an expert on California hoods, but in general they look a lot less dense than the hoods in say, New York or Philly. I haven't visited any yet, but I was referring mainly to LA and the surrounding areas.

It's not just the hoods, LA is way less dense than NYC in general.
You have single family homes in areas considered hood in LA, and the apartment buildings there will mostly be low rises as LA has few high rises.

Hood areas in NYC have massively tall high rise housing projects.

So yeah they look nothing alike and yes I have been through hood areas in LA a number of times.

Old 05-31-2016, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
I wonder how effective it would be though . I'm guessing the average middle class of wealthy kid might see people strung out on skid row and think , " but that won't happen to me "
They probably just imagine they'll end up at some nice rehab facility as worst case scenario .
I guess it might be worth a shot though .
This stuff does help and it does work. They bring prisoners to talk to kids at school too.

Old 05-31-2016, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
mrsltd.

I was pointing out that the TV COULD be a way to see how "the other half lives " . To understand that poverty is NOT the normal life in America.

But in many cases, it is simply an electronic baby sitter .

My other observation about low income households..no books. Reading is the most basic building block in a young person's life, and future success. If you can't read well, you are going to be less than you COULD be.

Jim B.
I'm a teacher it cost a fantastic amount of money to get to the point where I could teach.

Education is not for free.

As for what causes poverty in the US, a variety of complex causes. Of course offshoring work to other nations, closing military bases, etc have all harmed working class people to the point where the white working class has a rapidly increasing mortality rate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles