Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2016, 10:26 PM

20 posts, read 29,567 times

Advertisements

I live across the country as well, so not sure if my chances would increase if I just moved there first without a job (which I'll be honest, makes me nervous to just chill for months with no money coming in) or just stay put and see if anyone from LA is willing to interview me.

Also, not trying to pick a fight or anything, but I'm also a female. I have heard rumors from different companies that some companies would be more likely to hire a female engineer in order to 'balance' the workplace out. I have no clue if the LA tech scene is a lot like the rest of the US (as in mostly men) or if they're more females or what, so just thought I would put that out there. I have friends that are male nurses for example, or male social workers, and they got hired imo much faster then the women, just because in those professions men are usually the minorities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2016, 10:49 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,245,980 times
if you have three years of hands-on development experience I think you could get a job very quickly, even if it were only short term contract work. if you have a portfolio of complete and successful projects that would be even better. i'm sure you could find some placement agencies that would submit your resume for roles if you were willing to fly out for interviews and a move to the area was imminent. good luck!

Old 05-31-2016, 11:44 PM

601 posts, read 758,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepeeps View Post
I have heard rumors from different companies that some companies would be more likely to hire a female engineer in order to 'balance' the workplace out. .
IMHO I feel it'd be the exact opposite? Unfortunately, because of "bro-grammer" culture that shuts women out, arguably intentionally/unintentionally. Having said that, the tech/games industry has been facing a lot of flack for this culture and are now hopefully trying to....*cough* make amends.

But w/ your experience I still think you could find something fairly fast. Good luck!! Give em hell.

Old 06-01-2016, 01:11 AM

4,795 posts, read 4,844,264 times
I work at a major studio and they can't seem to hold onto software engineers. A lot of people seem to leave after 6-12 months for something better. So I'm guessing there are plenty of opportunities

Old 06-01-2016, 05:58 AM

296 posts, read 321,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepeeps View Post
I have heard rumors from different companies that some companies would be more likely to hire a female engineer in order to 'balance' the workplace out.
This isn't a rumor, it's absolutely true and anyone who doesn't think so is naive. I see it a lot in my own company. Management is desperate for more women in technical positions, and the ones that are skilled tend to move up very quickly. Use this to your advantage.

Old 06-01-2016, 11:01 AM

54 posts, read 59,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heterojunction View Post
This isn't a rumor, it's absolutely true and anyone who doesn't think so is naive. I see it a lot in my own company. Management is desperate for more women in technical positions, and the ones that are skilled tend to move up very quickly. Use this to your advantage.
I second this. Despite all the allegations of discrimination and exclusion of women in the tech industry, women definitely have an advantage when it comes to joining tech companies. This is true for any role, technical or otherwise. Use that to your advantage, OP!

Old 06-01-2016, 01:28 PM

242 posts, read 495,567 times
I tend to see that the issue of diversity in tech as a trendy topic that exists mainly in the Bay Area and other big tech cities such as New York and Seattle. Los Angeles is still not a big city (comparatively) in terms of tech, so the diversity issue is not as important.

I do see diversity as being a trendy issue. If you go to a small market, you will find many women that work in tech and no one makes a fuss about it. Go to the Bay Area, and you now will have less women, despite their hiring problems. The Bay Area is its own bubble. They use Quora! They love to be trendy and now have latched on the diversity initiative.

That said, I think that a female developer does have an advantage, even in Los Angeles (just not as great as in the Bay Area). However, companies will still not hire someone with weak skills, so many cannot cruise on in based on gender alone.

You should be able to find companies to interview you remotely. I believe there is a women in tech LA Meetup that might be a good resource for blind connections. LA is a big place. Tech jobs are spread out from Santa Monica to Pasadena. You do not want to commute far. Find the area you think you would like best and focus on jobs there.

EDIT: here are several meetups: http://www.meetup.com/topics/witi/us/ca/los_angeles/

I would leverage that women in tech side since it would be easier to meet people that you do not know. Their mission is to help other females. With other generic tech meetups and groups, their focus is not helping others from outside the area to find jobs. Reach out to the organizers, get those LinkedIn contacts and expand your network.

Old 06-01-2016, 01:37 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,108,898 times
OP I work in tech. If you have 3yrs of real experience, you shouldn't have a problem finding a job quickly. Likely SEI or equivalent, maybe SEII if they see a lot in your experience.

Old 06-01-2016, 01:58 PM

6,089 posts, read 5,015,786 times
3 years, 4 years, 5 years, male, female, both, etc. Doesn't matter.

If you're good, you will get work.

If you have 20 years of experience, are female, and you suck, you will not pass your interview test, and even if you do by some miracle, you won't keep your job. SoCal is very competitive for software programming jobs. They pay a lot of money, and attract a lot of very qualified candidates.

Don't rely on "3 years experience" and "being a woman" to save the day. Be good, and rely on that.

(my background: I own a firm that develops banking software for small to medium financial institutions and employ 70 people)

Old 06-01-2016, 02:59 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,844,264 times
I can't speak to an effort to be diverse. But in the past 5 years where I work I have only seen one female's resume come through for a software job. They did hire her and then she got pregnant, made use of very generous company provided maternity benefits and then quit
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles