Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2015, 03:47 PM

15 posts, read 20,642 times

Advertisements

- We have 4 kids (ages 5 to 12) who we'd like to keep in sports (gymnastics, tae kwon do, football, etc).
- We are in our early 30's
- I am an experienced software dev manager. I am making around $140k with 10% bonus in the chicago area now and expect to be able to get a decent offer around $150 to $160 in the LA area with a relocation package (based on conversations with recruiters and job prospects).
- My wife has been stay-at-home for the last 10 years but wants to get going on a career in the entertainment or music industry (and doesn't have unrealistic expectations for fortune and fame).
- We will avoid daycare (wife will work while kids are in school)
- We've always wanted to move out west but have each only been out there once when we were younger.
- We like the idea of the weather and the opportunity and have never felt "at home" where we grew up and where we are now
- we have some family about an hour north of LA
- I expect to find work in the Culver city/Santa Monica area or Glendale/Burbank area
- I'd prefer to keep my average commute to under 40 minutes

I hope to find a safe place to rent (to start), 3 or 4 bedrooms with at least 1800 square feet with above average schools that has good opportunities for kids (sports, etc) but is within an hour or less of the city.

My fears
- $150k isn't enough to rent a liveable sized house in a decent area and keep kids in sports? Wife start part time work but it will be an unknown amount of extra income for an unknown amount of time
- if I find the right neighborhood, commute will be terrible
- water is running out in CA?
- earthquakes/half of CA is going to sink into the Pacific
- crime

Are we nuts to think this will work out for us? Is there a place that meets our expectations? I've done research and have my ideas but I'd love some feedback from people who actually live in the area. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2015, 03:51 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,109,127 times
Exactly how much out of that salary are you willing to spend on rent? Remember in a SFH you will pay electric and water and which are both high here.

Old 09-05-2015, 03:55 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,061,248 times
Glendale, Burbank you can probably make it. Outside the valley, it might be questionable. You're standard of living might drop.

Old 09-05-2015, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobunagana View Post
My fears
- $150k isn't enough to rent a liveable sized house in a decent area and keep kids in sports? Wife start part time work but it will be an unknown amount of extra income for an unknown amount of time
- if I find the right neighborhood, commute will be terrible
- water is running out in CA?
- earthquakes/half of CA is going to sink into the Pacific
- crime
-Money and schools depend on location, location, location, but is enough for some good areas
-Most commutes are terrible. It's part of life here. However, no ice, snow, sleet, etc. to drive in. The freeways are free though, many have 6 lanes, and there's a lot of them
-Water rates may seriously rise, and rationing is possible if this year's El Nino doesn't happen
-California's San Andreas Fault is a slip/strike fault, so the Pacific Plate is moving north. Thrust faults are what they show in movies, sinking like you imagine is not possible
-Crime is extremely localized, you're from Chicago, same thing really

Old 09-05-2015, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Exactly how much out of that salary are you willing to spend on rent? Remember in a SFH you will pay electric and water and which are both high here.
I am expecting to pay around $3k to $4k in rent but am worried about what will be left over for sports and kids expenses, etc. For example, right now I pay $235/mo for USAG gymnastics (plus tons of meet fees), $115/mo for martial arts, and ~$500 a year for football.

Are sports a lot more expensive than what I am paying now?
I am paying around $240/mo for gas, utilities, and electric now. What should I expect to pay for a ~2000sq ft SFH? I assume less gas and more electricity (AC all year instead of heat in the winter).

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99
Glendale, Burbank you can probably make it. Outside the valley, it might be questionable. You're standard of living might drop.
Sorry if I ask an obvious question, but what areas does the term "the valley" all cover? Is there a map somewhere with annotations that show all these "terms" that people in LA know?

I do expect a smaller house and to not eat out nearly as often as we do now, but I am hoping for more opportunity for my kids.

Old 09-05-2015, 04:20 PM

Quote:
I am expecting to pay around $3k to $4k in rent but am worried about what will be left over for sports and kids expenses, etc. For example, right now I pay $235/mo for USAG gymnastics (plus tons of meet fees), $115/mo for martial arts, and ~$500 a year for football.

Are sports a lot more expensive than what I am paying now?

I am paying around $240/mo for gas, utilities, and electric now. What should I expect to pay for a ~2000sq ft SFH? I assume less gas and more electricity (AC all year instead of heat in the winter).

Sorry if I ask an obvious question, but what areas does the term "the valley" all cover?
You will not need a/c "all year." Most days are temperate except a few weeks in summer, and things cool down at night for easy sleeping. And no humidity! Costs will even out about the same.

Here's a sample from my end of the LA Metro. Top, TOP schools systems with great sports (but don't know about those sports fees, sorry):

Houses for Rent in Agoura Hills, CA - realtor.com®

"The Valley" means the San Fernando Valley. You don't want the schools there. Agoura Hills and Thousand Oaks are in the Conejo Valley. Burbank and Glendale are in the San Gabriel Valley. Just Google these for more info. Illinois is the second-flattest US State (FL #1) so you will need to get used to the concept of hills and valleys out here.

Old 09-05-2015, 04:20 PM

8,421 posts, read 6,523,857 times
The San Fernando Valley goes from Glendale to Sylmar and from Burbank to Chatsworth. The next valleys over a mountain range Simi Valley and Valancia are newer.

Old 09-05-2015, 04:29 PM

249 posts, read 268,221 times
The Agoura Hills area area also came to my mind, its a good family area..

Old 09-05-2015, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarlin20 View Post
The Agoura Hills area area also came to my mind, its a good family area..
I've used trulia to research and was looking a lot around the Agoura Hills, Calabasas, Woodland hills areas but I keep seeing things saying that the commute from these areas to Culver City, for example, would be as high as an 1 to 1.5 hours, is that accurate?

Old 09-05-2015, 04:48 PM

Quote:
I've used trulia to research and was looking a lot around the Agoura Hills, Calabasas, Woodland hills areas but I keep seeing things saying that the commute from these areas to Culver City, for example, would be as high as an 1 to 1.5 hours, is that accurate?
That all depends on what time of day you travel. Agoura to Culver City 1.5 hours in rush hour? Sure. But off hours, 50 minutes. We're talking about the 101 to the 405 route. People really get into listening to recorded books. You can easily work your way through the unabridged versions all the bestsellers

Note: Woodland Hills is in the Valley, meaning LAUSD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles