Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2016, 09:06 PM

926 posts, read 979,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losangeleslover87 View Post
Thinking of moving to Los Angeles. I like Los Angeles better than San Francisco nowadays people seem less smug and friendlier in la.I don't feel at home in San Francisco anymore. I grew up in sf and the bay area but its become so gentrified and ive found a lot of the new transplants to be obnoxious and to me dont rep what sf is supposed to be about. I am an artist/ painter/ photographer type who works in an office. I feel like alot of the art scene in sf is moving away because we cant afford it. Dont get me wrong San francisco is a more beautiful city , but it is to expensive and not as interesting anymore. When i go to la i feel i meet more interesting people than sf, people at cafes, restaurants and at clubs want to be social. In san francisco people are very into their own groups and i have felt very isolated after my friends moved and i tried to go out and meet people. Ive had more succsess with getting laid in la and being social with women, in sf and the bay area you have to be an overachieving guy who works in tech, or finance and make a certain amount of money to be succsefful with women. I am a healthy outdoor person i love the la beaches, so many places to run, hike yes sf has great hikes, love marin and gg park, but la has more. I am a vegaterian and excercise a lot, while i understand la gets a lot of crap for having that superficial element, i do like taking care of myself, and for some reason in sf thats superficial and judgemental. I like ocean beach in sf and have many fond memories, and yes sf beaches are more beautiful than la beaches from a visual standpoint, but i love swimming in warmer water. Also its nice that you can see a national leauge mlb team and its affordable. Everytime i go down to la i love it and feel happy, weather is great and people are social and unfurtunatly when i come back to sf i feel isolated , alone, out of place and that im an alien to my once home.
i moved here a 5 years ago, i see lot of jerks on the road that cuts lane and other stuff. Are those natives or new transplants?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2016, 09:17 PM

926 posts, read 979,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
SF is annoying, abnormally expensive, pretentious, and dirty. I wouldn't live there. I even hate visiting.

I'm sure some will say the same about LA though. Different strokes for different folks.
i live in SFO and like visiting LA because of warmer beaches. I hate SFO drivers but I hate how cops behave in LA. SFO cops are no better but the LA ticket cutter cops are seem to be special kind of jerks. They gave me several times ticket for no obvious reason, every time I visit. Traffic in LA is horrible too. I dont even try to get into LA when i visit just spend some time in North part like hollywood and santa monica and come back. So it is not a black and white issue. However night scenery and girls in LA seems better than SFO and overal less nerdy.

Old 06-29-2016, 08:30 PM

6,906 posts, read 8,279,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Oh really?

Honestly, Im old enough to draw a distinction and I dont really sense the same abiding dislike for LA that existed in the past.

You seem to.
But you acknowledge the "dislike" existed and for many decades. You are by far more likely to hear a San Franciscan talking about LA and how much they don't like it, while an LA crowd barely even knows SF is even in California.

My comment doesn't mean I care what NYC or SF think about LA, you are twisting my words. I'm NOT an LA homer and I wasn't biased when living there. I simply observed the overwhelming "hate" for LA.

Living in LA, it amazed me that they truly didn't even know Californias even existed above the San Fernando Valley, and LA people were so laid back they just let the loud mouth New Yorkers go on and on, blah, blah. The "hate" "DISLIKE" for LA, specifically from NYC and SF was so rampant and apparent; as a newbie to LA, I wondered why do they obsess over LA. It was a love/hate relationship with New Yorkers especially. Typical San Franciscans are so snobby they really believed they were better than LA in everything, and it was so funny to see the typical LA person perplexed with this attention.

Last edited by Chimérique; 06-29-2016 at 08:45 PM..

Old 06-30-2016, 08:14 PM

2,209 posts, read 2,318,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
San Francisco is amazing for as small a city as it is. It also looks and acts bigger than it really is. At the end of the day; however, SF is not competition for LA.
Why do SF and LA have to compete? Two different cities in two different parts of the state. Some people prefer SF, some prefer SF. Whatever floats a person's boat. I personally think SF has much better weather than does LA, and I say that as a lifelong So. Cal resident. But I know many people hate the fog and wind in SF, so it's a matter of preference. The SF Bay is very pretty, too.

Old 06-30-2016, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
So move.
Ouch! Hit an exposed nerve somewhere in Cali. You can't profess love for an outside city without being told to pack your bags and move to that city. Sheesh!

Old 06-30-2016, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adr3naline View Post
Couldn't be more true. I have family in the Bay Area and they're always talking smack about LA. When I travel I often run into someone from the Bay Area talking smack about LA. I don't get it. No one actually IN LA seems to care about the rest of the planet, let alone SF, so you would think a lack of reciprocation would wear away at those anti-LA conversations. Pointless drama.
Isn't that generalizing? How do you know what 'most' people in either SF or LA say or think about the opposite city, or about any other city, outside of a small sampling of personal acquaintances and friends? LA and SF have huge populations of diverse people with differing backgrounds, beliefs, and attitudes.

Old 06-30-2016, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTraveler2011 View Post
lol @ calling the bumps around SF "mountains"

this is what mountains look like bro

Lol. Too bad you can rarely see those things through the valley smog. (And nice work, using a snapshot of snow-capped Mt. Baldy, which only looks like that a few months, maybe, out of the year; and good luck seeing it through the smog).

SF has crystal-clear air.

Old 06-30-2016, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Most people don't know much about other cities because they don't want to keep an open mind about it.

A lot of people will right off entire regions too and not even consider them because they 'heard' bad things about them.
For example
"I don't like the South" or "I don't like the MidWest" even if they haven't been there.
Or people will often base an opinion of a city's inhabitants off an extremely small sampling of said city's population.

Eg:

Someone visits a city, stays a week or so, maybe personally talks to or encounters two dozen people or so, and finds that half those people or most of them 'seem' snotty, rude, or some other type of negative adjective. Then that one visitor will get on City Data and label the entire city as being full of snotty, rude, or 'insert negative adjective' people.

'Most people there seem...'

'That city is full of - - - people'

'People in that city always say - - - about our city'

Massive generalizations and unfounded assumptions often based on an extremely small sample size, or on second- and third-hand info that is likely of questionable origin and accuracy.

Old 06-30-2016, 10:07 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,586,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyJ34 View Post
Lol. Too bad you can rarely see those things through the valley smog. (And nice work, using a snapshot of snow-capped Mt. Baldy, which only looks like that a few months, maybe, out of the year; and good luck seeing it through the smog).

SF has crystal-clear air.
First off the bat I have to tell you that I'm not mad at you .

But that statement about San Francisco having Crystal Clear (air) man that's as phony as Gourmet bologna....LOL...

You need to Google State of the Air | American Lung Association.... The only cities in this area with Crystal Clear air are Tucson , San Diego California , Portland Oregon and Seattle Washington.

PS PostScript and you know that Los Angeles mountains are over 10,000 feet right.???.

And that snow is on Los Angeles Mountains for more than a couple months a year. I lived in Long Beach for a year and 2 months .

And the Bay Area for 35 years so I know what I'm talking about...

Last edited by Howest2008; 06-30-2016 at 10:16 PM..

Old 07-01-2016, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
First off the bat I have to tell you that I'm not mad at you .

But that statement about San Francisco having Crystal Clear (air) man that's as phony as Gourmet bologna....LOL...

You need to Google State of the Air | American Lung Association.... The only cities in this area with Crystal Clear air are Tucson , San Diego California , Portland Oregon and Seattle Washington.

PS PostScript and you know that Los Angeles mountains are over 10,000 feet right.???.

And that snow is on Los Angeles Mountains for more than a couple months a year. I lived in Long Beach for a year and 2 months .

And the Bay Area for 35 years so I know what I'm talking about...
SF is crystal clear, relative to LA. Because of the inversion layer that often sits above So. Cal, pollutants often get trapped under the lid of the inversion rather than simply dissipating into the atmosphere. The LA Basin routinely has brown, murky, stagnant air. SF, in comparison, rarely has air that you can see. Maybe the ozone levels are similar (not sure), but ozone is only aspect of dirty air. Bottom line is the air in and around LA is often brown and murky; in SF, the air is almost always clear, thanks in part to the strong winds that routinely blow in off the Bay. The winds blowing in off the coast of LA are much less consistent and not as strong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles