Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2016, 02:47 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,649,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
LOS ANGELES, CA - Violent crime in Los Angeles increased by nearly 16 percent during the first half of this year compared with the same period a year ago, authorities said today.

Statistics released today by the Los Angeles Police Department also showed an increase in property crimes by 3.8 percent, and a 6.3 percent hike in overall crime in the past 12 months.

This couldn't possibly have anything to do with Prop 47, could it? Naaaah...

Violent Crime Spikes in Los Angeles | Patch
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2016, 03:57 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,589,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
This couldn't possibly have anything to do with Prop 47, could it? Naaaah...

Violent Crime Spikes in Los Angeles | Patch
Only if 47 increased homelessness, which is the major cause. Maybe if LA wasn't a sanctuary city for the homeless this would not happen.

There are places in California which have not seen crime increases since 47, including some places in Los Angeles County. Not coincidentally those are places which are not as permissive on the homeless as the city of Los Angeles.

Likewise increases in violent crime are happening in places unaffected by 47 like Chicago, Indianapolis, Houston, and Dallas.

Last edited by majoun; 07-22-2016 at 04:08 PM..

Old 07-22-2016, 04:16 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,177,342 times
I live in Orange County. Last wknd I was at CVS in the make up section. I heard a wierd noise and look around and see a older guy grabbing fist fulls of make up and shoving it in a back pack! Shocked I walked to the registers to tell someone he sees me and walks out the exit and the alarm went off. The girls at the registers didn't even turn and look towards the exit! I went up to pay and told them a guy just stole a whole back pack of stuff they said oh really? I'll have the mgr look at the tape. That was it so I saw prop 47 in action right before my eyes. The thief couldn't care less I saw him. If I didn't start walking upfront he would have gotten a lot more.

Old 07-23-2016, 01:43 AM

2,088 posts, read 1,970,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Only if 47 increased homelessness, which is the major cause. Maybe if LA wasn't a sanctuary city for the homeless this would not happen.

There are places in California which have not seen crime increases since 47, including some places in Los Angeles County. Not coincidentally those are places which are not as permissive on the homeless as the city of Los Angeles.

Likewise increases in violent crime are happening in places unaffected by 47 like Chicago, Indianapolis, Houston, and Dallas.
Well since many of the newly homeless were last housed in prisons and jails, and now won't be going back due to prop 47, yeah it does have an effect on the number of homeless. Those prisoners that already burned all their bridges either before or during their incarceration end up on the street when they get out. Thankfully it's not the majority, but it is a significant number.

Old 07-23-2016, 09:46 AM

4,213 posts, read 8,303,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
I live in Orange County. Last wknd I was at CVS in the make up section. I heard a wierd noise and look around and see a older guy grabbing fist fulls of make up and shoving it in a back pack! Shocked I walked to the registers to tell someone he sees me and walks out the exit and the alarm went off. The girls at the registers didn't even turn and look towards the exit! I went up to pay and told them a guy just stole a whole back pack of stuff they said oh really? I'll have the mgr look at the tape. That was it so I saw prop 47 in action right before my eyes. The thief couldn't care less I saw him. If I didn't start walking upfront he would have gotten a lot more.
What did you expect the girls to do? Chase after the thief and confront him, risking their lives? Remember, these clerks make like $10-12 an hour.

Old 07-23-2016, 10:12 AM

5,267 posts, read 4,177,342 times
Certainly not chase him he was long gone but turning their head to see who set off the alarm would have been a good thing so maybe they could recognize him if/when he comes back. I guess why bother they had zero security anyway

Old 07-23-2016, 10:17 AM

50,244 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Why doesn't anyone call cops anymore.

Old 07-23-2016, 11:32 AM

124 posts, read 129,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Why doesn't anyone call cops anymore.
Because people don't want to end up getting shot.

Old 07-23-2016, 12:47 PM

2,436 posts, read 2,792,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenaDude View Post
This.

Old 07-25-2016, 09:42 AM

6,089 posts, read 4,984,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenaDude View Post

Yes that's what happens when the cops are called, people always get shot.

Good to see you've been drinking the Obama Racist kool aid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles