Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2008, 05:55 PM

5 posts, read 24,528 times

Advertisements

We're moving to the Santa Clarita area this spring but we're not quite sure where. Is there any real differences between Saugus/Valenica, and SR in terms of schools, demographics, and overall quality. Any responses are greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2008, 07:01 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,734,875 times
I am pretty sure SR is a much newer development in the region. I have a good friend who lives there and she is able to commute to downtown using the train I think.
You have more research to do, nuts and bolts type stuff: school scores, demographics, crime rate, child molester maps, city/county planning, zoning, etc. Took me a year to do all this.
Couple of "for sure"s about the entire region: Mostly nice middle class communities, very hot in summer, only one way (which I think includes train and freeway) south to LA for jobs, has reputation for low crime - supposedly lots of cops live there (and in Simi Valley too).

Probably mostly white with some Hispanics and probably few African Americans and even fewer Asians (just a guess from my visits there).

I used to go gold mining in numerous mine shafts back in the early-mid 1970s before most of those homes were there.

Great place to go motorcycle riding and cycling in the winter when it isn't too hot. Lots of nice roads leading up to the Grapevine and out to Antelope Valley.

Old 02-19-2008, 08:46 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,111,514 times
There really isn't much difference. Warning it is VERY hot during the summer.

Old 02-19-2008, 10:37 PM

5 posts, read 24,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CESpeed View Post
There really isn't much difference. Warning it is VERY hot during the summer.
Thanks for the response. I'm prepared to deal with the heat....I guess. We're moving from the Bixby Knolls area of Long Beach and are looking a better overall environment. It appears as though the prices in Stevenson Ranch are about 15% higher in Stevenson Ranch than Valencia. I'm leaning towards Stevenson Ranch, but I think Valencia/Saugs may be a better value.

Old 10-17-2008, 11:11 PM

1 posts, read 7,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headed north 2008 View Post
We're moving to the Santa Clarita area this spring but we're not quite sure where. Is there any real differences between Saugus/Valenica, and SR in terms of schools, demographics, and overall quality. Any responses are greatly appreciated.
19 year resident of this area and there are some differences;

SR = newer homes with great proximity to freeways. Bad part? - Mello roos district meaning extra tax on property and a Walmart in town which I dont like. (Santa Clarita has 3 Walmarts! and the other two are much newer/nicer).

Valencia is rather large and there is the older part built in the late 60's-late 70's and is across the freeway from SR so if you'd like a smaller 1 story or older 2 story with lots of trees then this is the way to go. Prices are higher per sf though. Then there's newer Valencia to the North. Some nice homes in Northbridge and Northpark area upper 600k to 900k range.

Saugus is also a mix. I live here and am in a newer home but it is further from the freeways, not as nicely landscaped and no paseo system and is generally older homes. The exception is Plum Canyon which is still being built out and the Haskell Canyon area which again is nice, new homes in the hills, good value for money but far from the freeway. If I had to do over again, I probably would have bought in Valencia or SR (thought I refuse to move into a mello roos district on pricipal of double taxation).

You really cannot walk to trains here. You drive to one of a few stations then ride the big train which goes downtown then you may have to catch a light rail to get where you want to go. It is only worth it if you are downtown or possibly Burbank/Glendale where it also stops. Having to change trains downtown isnt worth the wait.

Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles