Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2016, 03:56 PM

406 posts, read 348,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
While they won't find anything in that price range south of Ventura, Sherman Oaks north of Ventura will be doable with that budget.
Sure. I just think that the poster I quoted believes that home prices are what they were in 2010, not 2016.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2016, 04:18 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,602,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippityhop View Post
Sure. I just think that the poster I quoted believes that home prices are what they were in 2010, not 2016.
La Canada wouldn't have been accessible for them in 2010, either.

Old 11-28-2016, 04:56 PM

908 posts, read 1,303,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippityhop View Post
I do agree that these two areas are a stretch as the options are few and far between under $1.25M in both La Canada and Sherman Oaks, but if you look hard enough, there homes under that range, albeit small, old homes that may need some rehab. There are currently 10 homes south of the boulevard in Sherman Oaks selling for under the top end of OP's range. Sure, a few of them are quite small and old, but they exist.

Also, at almost any given time, I've seen at least a 2-3 homes in La Canada under $1.25M. They sure aren't the latest and greatest, but they exist.

But there are definitely other areas where you get more house for your buck, especially if OP wants a house over 2,000 sq. ft. Some other potential options are Glendale and Woodland Hills. The latter especially has good value as long as OP doesn't mind super hot summers.

Old 11-28-2016, 05:14 PM

406 posts, read 348,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
La Canada wouldn't have been accessible for them in 2010, either.
Well that's not what history says.

The average home price in 2010 was ~ $1.1 Million. In 2016 it's $1.6.
La Canada Flintridge CA Home Prices & Home Values | Zillow

Old 11-28-2016, 05:54 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,602,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socal88 View Post
I do agree that these two areas are a stretch as the options are few and far between under $1.25M in both La Canada and Sherman Oaks, but if you look hard enough, there homes under that range, albeit small, old homes that may need some rehab. There are currently 10 homes south of the boulevard in Sherman Oaks selling for under the top end of OP's range. Sure, a few of them are quite small and old, but they exist.

Also, at almost any given time, I've seen at least a 2-3 homes in La Canada under $1.25M. They sure aren't the latest and greatest, but they exist.

But there are definitely other areas where you get more house for your buck, especially if OP wants a house over 2,000 sq. ft. Some other potential options are Glendale and Woodland Hills. The latter especially has good value as long as OP doesn't mind super hot summers.
How different are those homes immediately south of Ventura from similar homes north of Ventura? Both north and south of Ventura are nice areas.

North of Ventura there are more homes in their price bracket. Unlike Studio City next door, which would be inaccessible to their price bracket even north of Ventura.

Old 12-05-2016, 04:27 PM

216 posts, read 200,846 times
There are many safe and wonderful neighborhoods in the City of LA. But the most affordable safe neighborhoods with good schools are outside the city limits. In the Southbay area, I really like Torrance and Redondo Beach. And for 1.2 mil you can probably find a nice house. Nothing extravagant, but nice. And you're within a short distance of the beach, LAX, and about 15 miles north of Long Beach Airport. Closer to downtown LA are the cites of Burbank and Glendale. Both have good schools and parks, in some very nice neighborhoods. And you're close to Burbank Airport and AmTrak has stops in both places. I use the AmTrak Station in Burbank to go to Santa Barbara on wknds. AmTrak Surfliner trains run regularly between San Diego and Santa Barbara, stopping along the way at Union Station in downtown LA. Another area mention on some of these posts is Pasadena and South Pasadena. I'm sure you can find a home for 1.2 mil in those areas and you're back drop are the beautiful San Gabriel Mountains. You're just going to have to look real hard to stay within your budget. Another advantage of living in Pasadena or South Pasadena is the Metro Gold Line transit train which has several stops in both cities. You can jump on the gold line train and be in downtown LA in no time at all. You'll quickly discover that there's a whole lot more to do and see in the LA area than the Bay Area. Good luck with your search.

Last edited by Happy in L.A.; 12-05-2016 at 05:08 PM..

Old 12-07-2016, 10:27 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,867,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC809 View Post
Hello,

-Walking distance to parks/restaurants/bars
-We don't want to be far removed from entertainment as we often like to have date nights to see music/dining/etc
-Safe and surrounded by other young and vibrant families
-Great schools (most likely will go to private but would consider a great public school system)
-Access to outdoors/nature
Once, just once, I'd love to see a post where someone asks for a recommendation that looks like this:

Quote:
Hello everyone, I'm looking for a recommendation on a neighborhood that meets the following criteria:

* Blighted area - a concrete jungle with lots of litter and broken-down wrecks by the side of the road
* No one walks anywhere because if they did they'd be mugged
* Lots of winos, druggies and gang-bangers and general scum
* Lousy schools

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Old 12-07-2016, 03:10 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,402,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in L.A. View Post
There are many safe and wonderful neighborhoods in the City of LA. But the most affordable safe neighborhoods with good schools are outside the city limits. In the Southbay area, I really like Torrance and Redondo Beach. And for 1.2 mil you can probably find a nice house. Nothing extravagant, but nice. And you're within a short distance of the beach, LAX, and about 15 miles north of Long Beach Airport. Closer to downtown LA are the cites of Burbank and Glendale. Both have good schools and parks, in some very nice neighborhoods. And you're close to Burbank Airport and AmTrak has stops in both places. I use the AmTrak Station in Burbank to go to Santa Barbara on wknds. AmTrak Surfliner trains run regularly between San Diego and Santa Barbara, stopping along the way at Union Station in downtown LA. Another area mention on some of these posts is Pasadena and South Pasadena. I'm sure you can find a home for 1.2 mil in those areas and you're back drop are the beautiful San Gabriel Mountains. You're just going to have to look real hard to stay within your budget. Another advantage of living in Pasadena or South Pasadena is the Metro Gold Line transit train which has several stops in both cities. You can jump on the gold line train and be in downtown LA in no time at all. You'll quickly discover that there's a whole lot more to do and see in the LA area than the Bay Area. Good luck with your search.
Never got an answer from the OP to my questions about where in Marin they live or if they mind an inland environment. Lots of suggestions here for Pasadena, other SGV, nicer parts of SFV, etc. So, if the OP now lives in say Mill Valley, they would be in for quite an adjustment moving to inland parts. If they currently live anywhere north of San Rafael, it wouldn't be as much of a shock. If the OP does not like inland, your South Bay suggestions are more likely to result in a better outcome. But of course, there is a price for everything.

Old 12-08-2016, 06:25 PM

203 posts, read 428,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
Never got an answer from the OP to my questions about where in Marin they live or if they mind an inland environment. Lots of suggestions here for Pasadena, other SGV, nicer parts of SFV, etc. So, if the OP now lives in say Mill Valley, they would be in for quite an adjustment moving to inland parts. If they currently live anywhere north of San Rafael, it wouldn't be as much of a shock. If the OP does not like inland, your South Bay suggestions are more likely to result in a better outcome. But of course, there is a price for everything.
Hi BayAreaHillbilly,

Sorry for the delay. I currently rent in Sausalito (3-bedroom home ~5k/month).

Old 12-08-2016, 08:03 PM

6,357 posts, read 7,768,830 times
Santa Clarita, Simi Valley, or Moorpark. All very, very safe, (a common home for L.A. patrolmen), and family oriented. Good schools with involved parents. Nice parks. Fairly close to L.A.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles