Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2014, 03:45 PM

5 posts, read 7,401 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

Been down to SD for a several business trips and just can't shake how gorgeous it is down there. Aside from the weather, it seems like a great place to raise a family (I have a 7-month old and plan on having another baby soon).

We currently live in Marin, just a short-distance from the Golden Gate Bridge. Here, home prices are through the roof. For a 3-bedroom with about 2000 sq feet, we're finding unaffordable prices around $1.2M. Mind you, these houses are spectacularly outdated and need tons of TLC.

I have a home office and can really work anywhere on the West Coast. I'm looking for a neighborhood that has a good walking score (can walk to nearby bars, restaurants, parks, etc.), family friendly (we're in our early 30's) and generally has a cool/hip vibe. Good schools (though we'll likely go private) are also an important consideration. Finally a small backyard (don't need acres upon acres) would be ideal. Otherwise a nearby park would work.

We may rent for the first year to get a better grip on the area but we may buy. We're in the $800-900k range.

We're originally from NYC, lived in SF for the past several years and just want something more relaxed, warmer and more affordable.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance for your help!!!

Last edited by reisenman; 10-25-2014 at 03:49 PM.. Reason: Want to be less specific
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2014, 03:56 PM

745 posts, read 1,567,981 times
How about Encinitas?

Old 10-25-2014, 05:05 PM

686 posts, read 1,137,843 times
I'd really recommend the areas around Balboa park especially South Park and areas north of Adams ave.

Encinitas is nice but to me just doesn't feel as walkable as the areas I mentioned. In addition, your budget will likely put you east of the 5 which is full on suburbia. Also, it's a long way from the airport if you need to travel.

There is nothing like Marin. I rented a house on Spencer Ave in Sausalito ten years ago for 2k and just saw it sold for 2.8 million

Old 10-25-2014, 10:15 PM

7,409 posts, read 6,545,347 times
I lived at Harbor Point in the Strawberry section of Mill Valley for 3 years when I first moved out West....love Marin County...good luck wherever you end up.

Old 10-26-2014, 06:56 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,096,694 times
It depends on what neighborhood you want really. Mollie Stones? Larkspurish or San Rafael? .... Many choices.
Dense population urban/more rural.

We live in Sabre Springs Poway a little easier on the pocket and easy freeways anywhere in SD. PM me if you want some pointers from a pro I know...

Old 10-26-2014, 09:55 AM

3,282 posts, read 3,792,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reisenman View Post

I have a home office and can really work anywhere on the West Coast. I'm looking for a neighborhood that has a good walking score (can walk to nearby bars, restaurants, parks, etc.), family friendly (we're in our early 30's) and generally has a cool/hip vibe. Good schools (though we'll likely go private) are also an important consideration. Finally a small backyard (don't need acres upon acres) would be ideal. Otherwise a nearby park would work.
Areas with this type of vibe in San Diego are: Kensington/Normal Heights, Balboa Park Area, some parts of North Park and Hillcrest, South Park. Keep in mind that these are all mixed areas- since they are considered 'cool' and walkable areas, it is a mixture of families and single people. The cities are all next to each other- I suggest you drive around and find the pockets in the neighborhoods that are mostly homes with families. There are beautifully renovated homes with backyards in this area.

I live here and have both type of friends living in the area. These areas have had considerable gentrification in the past few years. You will have to do some research about the schools since everyone has different standards for education.

Old 11-09-2014, 08:43 AM

5 posts, read 7,401 times
Thinking that it would make sense to rent in one of the luxury high-rises in downtown first and then after our first year, and after we have a good understanding for the lay of the land, we can make a better educated decision on where to purchase a home.

Any thoughts on a young family living downtown San Diego? Is it do-able? Just one little one.

Old 11-09-2014, 08:58 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,096,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reisenman View Post
Thinking that it would make sense to rent in one of the luxury high-rises in downtown first and then after our first year, and after we have a good understanding for the lay of the land, we can make a better educated decision on where to purchase a home.

Any thoughts on a young family living downtown San Diego? Is it do-able? Just one little one.
Sure. Nice amenities. Ease of access. A little confining but close to activities. Noisy would be the only downside.

Old 11-09-2014, 03:55 PM

1,736 posts, read 2,573,231 times
Moving to San Diego to be in a more affordable area? That Is unusual.

Old 11-09-2014, 05:18 PM

38 posts, read 56,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfosyd View Post
I'd really recommend the areas around Balboa park especially South Park and areas north of Adams ave.

Encinitas is nice but to me just doesn't feel as walkable as the areas I mentioned. In addition, your budget will likely put you east of the 5 which is full on suburbia. Also, it's a long way from the airport if you need to travel.

There is nothing like Marin. I rented a house on Spencer Ave in Sausalito ten years ago for 2k and just saw it sold for 2.8 million
In San Diego our Sausalito is La Jolla.

Encinitas, Solana Beach, and Del Mar are definitely walkable/bikable cities with quaint central districts, that being said the farther you live from these centers the less walkable the area becomes. They don't have the same layout as the center city neighborhoods but that's a matter of geography. North County is most like Marin in the sense that the roads are windy, pockets of nature exist, and to the east lies rolling coastal foothills. Since you're moving to San Diego, you may as well consider the coast!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego