Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2007, 04:45 PM

15 posts, read 56,928 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend and I are moving to LA in the summer. I'll be working downtown (around 5th/Flower) and he'll be working up in Chatsworth. Any idea what would be a good neighborhood/area to split the commute into something humane for both of us? Our budget is about $2500 for a big 1BR/2BR. We'd like something safe, and ideally with nice restaurants, shops, nightlife, etc. We're both from the East Coast. Our uninformed view was to look in the following areas: Los Feliz, Silverlake, Pasadena, Hollywood Hills...

Thanks for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2007, 07:04 PM

1,703 posts, read 6,465,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate Bride View Post
My boyfriend and I are moving to LA in the summer. I'll be working downtown (around 5th/Flower) and he'll be working up in Chatsworth. Any idea what would be a good neighborhood/area to split the commute into something humane for both of us? Our budget is about $2500 for a big 1BR/2BR. We'd like something safe, and ideally with nice restaurants, shops, nightlife, etc. We're both from the East Coast. Our uninformed view was to look in the following areas: Los Feliz, Silverlake, Pasadena, Hollywood Hills...

Thanks for any help!
All the areas you mentioned are great areas. I would try to stray from Hollywood Hills commuting into downtown. The 101 is bad, and the 10 freeway is terrifying. The other areas you mentioned are absolutely great, I would say your commute for your husband would be 50 minutes, he is heading away from the city. Your commute will be short, be in horrible traffic, thirty five minutes tops on the freeway, even though it's only around six miles. You folks will easily be able to afford two bedrooms for $2500. The weather is great in SoCal, the area you are referring to is low to mid 90's in the summer, but it's a dry heat, no humidity like the East Coast. The winter only drops to the low 40's with mid 60's during the day for your particular area. The beach, forty minutes away, and the mountains probably around 45 minutes. Let me remind you, California is extremely diverse, with high levels of latinos, asians, and African Americans. I hope I helped friend, if you thought I was of help just click rate this post positively below my quote. Have a Nice Day! Tell your husband if he likes sports to listen to AM 710 or AM 570, it quicly passes time. BTW, the earlier you leave, the quicker you will arrive to work, same said for going home.

Old 02-13-2007, 06:03 PM

15 posts, read 56,928 times
Thanks for the help! Would any of the Westside communities work?

Old 02-18-2007, 11:23 PM

332 posts, read 2,149,324 times
If you don't mind driving a bit for the restaurants and nightlife: Montrose, Glendale, La Crescenta, La Canada would all be fantastic choices. They are expensive areas, but with that budget, you'll have no problem affording them. Chatsworth and Downtown are about 30 minutes each way assuming you guys work 8-5.

Old 02-21-2007, 09:49 AM

5,835 posts, read 5,198,500 times
May I suggest Sherman Oaks or Studio City. Pretty much in the middle for both. As East Coasters you might appreciate living close to Ventura Blvd. in either city for the close proximity to shopping, restaurants, a little night life and great walking area. Many rentals south of Ventura in Sherman Oaks in your price range. Considered an upscale area and cooler in the summer than some of the other areas you mentioned. They get lovely canyon breezes to cool you off at night and morning. You will also be much,much closer to the beach, Brentwood, Century City, Beverly Hills, Hollywood than from the Glendale, Pasadena area which is quite a distance from these areas, if this matters to you. Good luck and welcome to California!

Old 02-21-2007, 10:21 AM

196 posts, read 1,236,952 times
I agree, Sherman Oaks, Studio City, also Encino, are the best options, traffic down the hills is terrorific but no more options....

Old 03-20-2018, 05:57 PM

1 posts, read 941 times
Default Looking for similar situation, but in a lower price range

This is great info, and I really appreciate the thread. I will be moving to SoCal in June, commuting to Chatsworth, and looking for the following:

Reverse-commute to Chatsworth of hopefully not more than 1/2 to 45 minutes
A reasonable (under an hour) drive to the ocean
Studio or small 1 BR for 1 person
Some modest street life (more local coffee joints and humble eats than nightlife) within walking distance
Reasonably safe

Also a native of New York, but have spent time in New Orleans and Minnesota, so climate is not as much of a concern, but breezes sound nice.

Any advice would be most appreciated

Tom

Old 03-20-2018, 07:32 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,034,390 times
Live near Topanga Canyon Blvd. and you can drive over the hills to the beach. Look at Warner Center in Woodland Hills, or along Sherman Way east of Topanga. Note: that part of the Valley gets blisteringly hot (105+ not uncommon), but no humidity or wind. If you want breezes, try Chatsworth closer to the 118 freeway. The Porter Ranch area is windy a lot.

Old 03-21-2018, 10:16 AM

925 posts, read 1,064,456 times
North Hollywood would be great. 20 minutes downtown on Red Line and going against traffic to Chatsworth. Also have Orange Line to Chatsworth as an option.

Old 03-21-2018, 11:01 AM

3,433 posts, read 3,746,637 times
I'm surprised nobody mentioned Burbank...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles