Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 12:42 AM

111 posts, read 159,020 times

Advertisements

LA transportation money is going somewhere else. In the Southland, metro areas are constantly widening freeways in the OC, Riverside, and San Diego metro areas.

I5 is 14 lanes for half of the way from San Clemente to the OC county line, and they are still widening it in San Clemente.Buy how many lanes, I don't know. Maybe 14.

I5 will be 12 lanes eventually in North San Diego County.

The interchange off of 15 into Temecula is going to be redone.

The 101 in LA county could be widened, but officials refuse to purchase through eminent domain businesses that are worth nothing and waiting to fall apart in the next quake. Where is the transportation money going? Light rail? You guys are crazy up there to not demand accountability.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2017, 05:02 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
No, it will not.

First off how would you enforce it? I see people driving and texting, I believe that is against the law.

How is one cop going to go after the 25 cars who drive by on the day they shouldn't be, or will we have so many cops that one is assigned to every car? The cost would be much worse than sitting in traffic.

You have already gone down this road(no pun intended). If someone has a sick kid who needs to get to the ER, guess what? They're driving. They're not calling Uber or going around asking neighbors "hey, is it your day to drive, my kid stopped has asthma and they're not breathing well, but I can't drive for 2 more days".

Increasing mass transit will help.

Many of the freeways were built long after the 50s, the 405, the 2, the 105 to name a few.

So underemployed people just drive around for fun? As well as retired folk?

Define fun? Do you mean seniors who go to lunch and movies in the afternoon therefore spending money, or someone working two jobs and they have to drive from Target in Pasadena to work the second job in Glendale?

Cause IDK anyone who just drives for fun, they have somewhere to go or they want to do something social, but no one zipping up and down the freeways for the heck of it with no destination planned.
They certainly were: in fact in the 50s freeways were not all that common in So. CA. We had the Pasadena freeway called the speedway originally: we had the San Bernardino and the Santa Ana freeway. Toward the end of the 50s the Harbor freeway opened. That was pretty much it. I am not quite sure when the Hollywood freeway opened but regardless they were mostly just 2 lanes each direction. There may have been pieces of the other freeways but the system was nothing like now. You have a better knowledge of the freeway system than others it appears.

Oh, for those who think the traffic in So. Ca. is worse than anywhere in the world, try visiting some of the Caribbean countries, India or Asia for starters. I don't care what the studies show. Yes, I agree the traffic is fierce in So. Ca, one reason we do not enjoy visiting anymore, but there are places that are as bad.

Old 02-21-2017, 06:28 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,552,477 times
There was a study done of the 101 in the San Fernando Valley several years ago, and the recommended solution was to widen the freeway by at least two more lanes on each side. Homeowners in Encino did the NIMBY (not in my back yard) thing and pushed back. If you're stuck on the 101 going nowhere, please blame them.

We can't even maintain the roads we have now. For being one of the biggest cities in the U.S., our road maintenance is probably one of the worst. Where is all of our tax money going?? I'm tired of being told, "Oh, another half cent sales tax increase for this..." and "and another half cent sales tax increase for that..." I've been very liberal my entire life, but that doesn't mean our politicians should get a blank check or be able to use everyone like an ATM!

I'm not sure building more freeways or even widening the ones we have now is the greatest solution. Staggering work hours, paying people decent wages so they can afford the crazy rents without driving from sixty miles away, etc. might help. However, I usually leave for work at 6:05 (I used to leave at 6:15, but by then the traffic is already bad), and I've gotten to the point that I don't even want to use the Van Nuys onramp to get on the 101, because the two lanes for the 405 are already slowing down at that point. I backtrack and get on at Woodman. I'm sure at some point in the future if nothing is done, I'll be leaving before 6:00 to get to Woodland Hills by 6:30.

Old 02-21-2017, 11:24 AM

8,558 posts, read 10,981,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
There was a study done of the 101 in the San Fernando Valley several years ago, and the recommended solution was to widen the freeway by at least two more lanes on each side. Homeowners in Encino did the NIMBY (not in my back yard) thing and pushed back. If you're stuck on the 101 going nowhere, please blame them.

We can't even maintain the roads we have now. For being one of the biggest cities in the U.S., our road maintenance is probably one of the worst. Where is all of our tax money going?? I'm tired of being told, "Oh, another half cent sales tax increase for this..." and "and another half cent sales tax increase for that..." I've been very liberal my entire life, but that doesn't mean our politicians should get a blank check or be able to use everyone like an ATM!

I'm not sure building more freeways or even widening the ones we have now is the greatest solution. Staggering work hours, paying people decent wages so they can afford the crazy rents without driving from sixty miles away, etc. might help. However, I usually leave for work at 6:05 (I used to leave at 6:15, but by then the traffic is already bad), and I've gotten to the point that I don't even want to use the Van Nuys onramp to get on the 101, because the two lanes for the 405 are already slowing down at that point. I backtrack and get on at Woodman. I'm sure at some point in the future if nothing is done, I'll be leaving before 6:00 to get to Woodland Hills by 6:30.
You have just stated in your last paragraph, the reason vehicle use rationing will happen.
Multiply your response by the millions of drivers in the state, and you can see that what I am talking about WILL become a reality, and soon.

I remember back in the early seventies when gas was rationed.
There was a shortage, and he state said we couldn't get gas every day, so we didn't
The same will happen with restricting vehicle use.
The state will tell us we can't drive our vehicles every day, and we won't.
Same principal at work here.

Bob.

Old 02-21-2017, 11:55 AM

672 posts, read 2,175,874 times
I ride my bike to work out in West LA. It is much faster than driving. I'm always faster than all the cars. And I'm not a lycra wearing racer guy; I'm on a beach cruiser wearing my work clothes.

Of course, it is a bit rainy right now, so probably not a great month to give it a try. Even I sometimes drive when it is raining.

Old 02-21-2017, 12:07 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,308,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
No, it will not.

First off how would you enforce it? I see people driving and texting, I believe that is against the law.

How is one cop going to go after the 25 cars who drive by on the day they shouldn't be, or will we have so many cops that one is assigned to every car? The cost would be much worse than sitting in traffic.

You have already gone down this road(no pun intended). If someone has a sick kid who needs to get to the ER, guess what? They're driving. They're not calling Uber or going around asking neighbors "hey, is it your day to drive, my kid stopped has asthma and they're not breathing well, but I can't drive for 2 more days".

Increasing mass transit will help.

Many of the freeways were built long after the 50s, the 405, the 2, the 105 to name a few.

So underemployed people just drive around for fun? As well as retired folk?

Define fun? Do you mean seniors who go to lunch and movies in the afternoon therefore spending money, or someone working two jobs and they have to drive from Target in Pasadena to work the second job in Glendale?

Cause IDK anyone who just drives for fun, they have somewhere to go or they want to do something social, but no one zipping up and down the freeways for the heck of it with no destination planned.
Our surface streets were made for a 1950s population.
People drive for stupid reasons. Seniors going to an early bird movie and being cheap at Costco does not constitute stimulating the economy.

Old 02-21-2017, 08:02 PM

1,011 posts, read 977,139 times
Road space rationing has already happened in places like Beijing. And they are enforced. Can't see why it can't be enforced in SoCal.

Old 02-21-2017, 08:04 PM

2,088 posts, read 1,974,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
You have just stated in your last paragraph, the reason vehicle use rationing will happen.
Multiply your response by the millions of drivers in the state, and you can see that what I am talking about WILL become a reality, and soon.

There was a shortage, and he state said we couldn't get gas every day, so we didn't

Bob.
Meh, most middle class and above people would just buy 2 cheaper cars to avoid losing their job. Where we would park all those cars, that's another question. Street parking would be a nightmare with all the cars being stored on the street all the time.

A better idea would be to put toll scanners at every freeway entrance and exit and adjust tolls based on congestion. It would push some drivers/traffic to city streets, but for any long commute that wouldn't make sense. With the income they could pay to maintain the roads.

Old 02-21-2017, 11:24 PM

8,558 posts, read 10,981,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texamichiforniasota View Post
Meh, most middle class and above people would just buy 2 cheaper cars to avoid losing their job. Where we would park all those cars, that's another question. Street parking would be a nightmare with all the cars being stored on the street all the time.

A better idea would be to put toll scanners at every freeway entrance and exit and adjust tolls based on congestion. It would push some drivers/traffic to city streets, but for any long commute that wouldn't make sense. With the income they could pay to maintain the roads.
As I said earlier, I have researched every point that is apt to come up in discussion concerning vehicle restricted driving, and I have an answer for everything, including your two rather childish solutions you posted here.
Buying another "spare" vehicle would do you absolutely no good.
Each and every vehicle registered to you, and your address of record, would be issued the same day sticker.
Own three vehicles?, they would all have the same day sticker provided by the dmv.

We monitor freeway entrances now, and that doesn't work.
There are just to many vehicles on the roads at any given day, or time.

I am afraid, you, and all the others who could not support this idea of restricted driving, are going to have a very rude awakening in the not to distant future.

I am currently involved in gathering more information in the form of traffic surveys in the metro area, and soon I will once again meet with a few members of the state legislature and discuss having this sticker program instituted in the state largest cities, and counties.
I neglected in my other post, to indicate this sticker program would only be a Monday -Friday proposition.
It would not affect Saturday or Sunday driving.

If, as in times past, they fail to act on this, I am prepared to start an initiative to be placed on the ballot.
As I said, I have had this on my mind for some time now, and have not sat idly by.
I have people on board, who like me, feel the time has come to get serious about the traffic in the state's largest cities.

Bob.

Old 02-22-2017, 12:02 AM

111 posts, read 159,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post

Bob.
101 would need 3 general purpose lanes in each direction along with 2 carpool lanes in each direction all the way back to Agoura Hills. That's not going to happen so the logical solutions were presented by these posters. Another is to provide a bypass through the Santa Ana rec area. That's not going to happen either, it is a ntl monument.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles