Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2017, 04:58 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,463,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Replace the word affordable with subsidized, because that is what they want. They will keep on offering subsidized housing (at others' expense) until they create a large enough disincentive for those of us who are much higher wage earners to eventually conclude that we should just stop working so hard and take it easy. Communism breeds sloth.
It's amazing people think they are entitled to cheap housing at the expense of others .

Old 03-30-2017, 07:06 PM

178 posts, read 173,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
It's amazing people think they are entitled to cheap housing at the expense of others .
I had some rental houses that I used to rent to people with financial problems.
i rented to them cheap with the condition that they would take care of the houses and do things like painting and mowing the grass to keep the house in good shape. Generally I spent 1/2 years rent keeping the houses up.
About 10 or so years ago the people showing up to rent changed. Usually they had some sort of voucher in their hand that would pay the rent. I thought wow, great I can charge full rent and make a few bucks finally. But the people with the vouchers were terrible people. The Idea of even picking up their own trash was beneath them. The houses were furnished but just as soon as they moved in they threw my furniture outside in the rain and bought all new stuff and a huge flat screen TV. Generally I would kick them out after the lease expired and try again after a $10k repair bill. It got to the point that it just wasent worth it to rent the houses out anymore. Finally I sold them.

Old 03-31-2017, 12:12 AM

"About 40,000 Los Angeles County residents are on the waiting list to obtain Section 8 vouchers which means many people wait 11 years for a chance at an affordable housing option, officials said during a public hearing Tuesday."

40,000 waiting for Section 8 housing in LA County — many for more than a decade

Old 03-31-2017, 12:49 AM

13,583 posts, read 15,664,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
"About 40,000 Los Angeles County residents are on the waiting list to obtain Section 8 vouchers which means many people wait 11 years for a chance at an affordable housing option, officials said during a public hearing Tuesday."

40,000 waiting for Section 8 housing in LA County — many for more than a decade
Geeze!!!

I'm curious as to how many are already using section 8, but perhaps I'm better off not knowing.

Old 03-31-2017, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
Geeze!!!

I'm curious as to how many are already using section 8, but perhaps I'm better off not knowing.
According to this article linked below

"About 125,000 Southern California households hold Section 8 vouchers, out of a million "very low-income" households that qualify for one, according to federal data. In Los Angeles County, just 87,000 out of 701,000 potentially qualified households get a voucher."

There aren’t enough section 8 vouchers to match the need in Southern California’s rental market

Old 03-31-2017, 02:02 AM

13,583 posts, read 15,664,868 times
125,000?!

Yeah, I was better off not knowing.

Old 03-31-2017, 05:35 AM

26,735 posts, read 26,820,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Charger View Post
Why doesn't anybody in public office, ever bring up the solution of educating people on coming up with their own solutions?

I feel someone needs to speak up, and say, "look, there's a lot of people, and not a lot of places to live. That means things are expensive. If you cannot afford it, you'll have to double up, drive a long way, or think about moving to another city."
Isn't this obvious, though? Why would we need a politician to say this? And who needs to be educated about this when it's apparent that the greater L.A. area has been an expensive to live for the past several decades?

Old 03-31-2017, 08:41 AM

12,387 posts, read 8,155,775 times
You can't educate your way out of rich people wanting the perks of affluence. Someone to give them a massage, someone to nanny their two kids and cut their grass. Without the human form robots for the first two functions those people have to live somewhere close enough to provide the services wanted by the real estate owning class.

Old 03-31-2017, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
You can't educate your way out of rich people wanting the perks of affluence. Someone to give them a massage, someone to nanny their two kids and cut their grass. Without the human form robots for the first two functions those people have to live somewhere close enough to provide the services wanted by the real estate owning class.
Good point. A less expensive city or small town isn't going to have as much demand for those services .
If you drive around the Brentwood area you'll see many of the vehicles are gardeners or other service vehicles.
Many of the people walking around are Hispanic ladies working as nannies , housekeepers or caregivers .

Then there's mobile detailing , mobile grooming etc .
No doubt these service workers contribute a lot to the traffic situation in the area .

Old 03-31-2017, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LecherousLothario View Post
Just to be clear,

L.A. is a stinking, fetid, stifling dumpster for anyone who lives there, save for the one percent folks who live up in the hills behind large mechanized fences who have only Jack Nicholson and a few bands of coyotes to claim as their next-door neighbors.

I made the mistake of trying it out some years ago, and once I realized it's a filthy rat-trap for anyone not filthy rich, I came to my senses and vacated.

The reprehensible air quality EASILY cancels out the great weather. Handily. And yes, it is great weather. The hype is true. But no, not under a blanket of greasy soot day in and day out, it's definitely -not-. You leave your car windows or your apartment windows open, even for a very short time, and you'll see just what floats in that so-called "air" real quick, as it immediately begins to deposit itself all over your kitchen appliances and furniture....and of course your delicate lung tissue.

Outside of the entertainment industry, there is -no- sane reason to PAY to live there. Santa Monica beach? Don't. make. me. laugh. Filthy water, a bottleneck tourist trap pier that is elbow to shoving elbow virtually all the year round, and prices so high at dining establishments, your head will spin Linda Blair style once you open the menu.

It just is not. worth. it. Cess Pool = Los Angeles.

From Venice, to Culver City to South L.A. to K-Town to Hollywood to Macarthur Park to Westlake to Downtown to East L.A. to Echo Park and back again to Eastside Hollywood

Cess. Pool. Every single neighborhood I just mentioned. Filth. Drugs. Ghetto people. Slimy seedy folks. Homelessness to a level you cannot comprehend in your wildest imagination. Garbage everywhere, sometimes huge piles right next to public garbage cans. More homeless, more segregation, more everything.

Brentwood?? Hahaaa...hey. If that scene is your thing, go right on ahead. Just be prepared for the most superficial, phony, insufferably self-centered group of people west of the Big Muddy.

SFV. Save upper Burbank, is pure tripe. Fetid tripe. From seedy, scummy North Hollywood, to filthy Van Nuys, to rotting Reseda, to ghetto Panorama City to trashy Chatsworth.

SGV. Yes, Pasadena is picturesque and tony and happening. It's also getting ghettofied and dirtier and seriously overcrowded. Glendale? Good luck if you're not Armenian. It in no way feels like America any longer, safe and clean town that it surely is. That's a fact. Monrovia north of Foothill is probably anyone's best bet anywhere in L.A., though it's pricey even for the area. Alahambra? Ghetto. Arcadia? much of it ghetto and gangs. El Monte? Duarte? West Covina? See above. You wanna pay roughly double the national average to live in anyone of those? ..more power to you then.

In my estimations, Los Angeles, in its Hollywood Golden Age, was perhaps the absolute BEST city in the country to live in. Idyllic even. The opposite now is true. It's a wasteland. And anyone who claims otherwise is either college-aged, proudly native and unshakingly stalwart, or living faaaar over on the Westside either Malibu adjacent or West, very West Hollywood.

It is, what it is. There is no "Escape From L.A." for the average person living there. And it's not cool, not hip, and sure as hell ain't fun to be a part of. I made decent money in L.A. Some of the best I ever did in my life. Had my little one bedroom etc. Nothing could ever make it worth it though. If I had twenty million dollars? Sure. Maybe I'd do Bel-Air or Hidden Hills. Nah, I wouldn't actually. I'd move to La Jolla or Coronado or Del Mar if forced to live in Cali so I souldn't be breathing what ultimately amounts to chimney soot 24/7

And all the above, coming from so.eone who grew up just outside NYC and went there constantly as a young man. I am -very- familiar with big cities. Nothing new to me. Lived in a number of them. Not a fan of NY either, so don't go pinning me as some rivalry type. I have precious little love for the Big Apple I once called home for a period of time. It has its own host of problems, to be sure.

EDIT: I in no way have meant to personally offend anyone. I know the city intimately well however, and it is rotting from the inside out at an ever-quickening and frightening pace and most certainly is in a downward spiral of terminal velocity.
Where do you live now ? I guess you must still have an interest in la if posting in the la forum ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles