Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2017, 08:49 PM

817 posts, read 753,530 times

Advertisements

Albertsons Has been in trouble for the longest, they will definitely be the 1st to go soon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2017, 09:12 PM

911 posts, read 2,600,924 times
i KNEW aldi would make it back home. ever since 32nd street market closed, people have been searching for something to replace it.

while its not nearly the same size, its a cost effective way for people save money.

you can hit aldi with $50 and be set for awhile.

Old 05-01-2018, 12:50 AM

3,955 posts, read 7,202,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timtemtym View Post

I miss Fresh & Easy. That was my go to place for stuff I could just unwrap, put in the oven, and make some pretty good meals. Sadly, it tanked.
I still mourn Fresh&Easy's closing!😢 They had some great prepared food and freshly baked breads.

They were also willing to open stores in working class areas as well!

Old 05-01-2018, 09:43 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,797,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Charger View Post
Why are Grocery Outlet Bargain Market, Aldi succeeding in SoCal where others failed?

You just can't beat Aldi's prices, although Walmart is highly competitive. I feel as though Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, and Sprouts are niche stores that will survive. I predict Stater Bros will as well, they are remodeling most of their stores.

But the bottom line is there is no way the current number of stores will survive in the long run. I feel Albertsons might be the first on the chopping block. Maybe Vons after that? Ralphs seems to have a nice strong hold on things, and a successful model.

I think it's the Millennials and their bargain attitude. Some of the higher end stores are just going to have trouble surviving this new economic environment. And just wait until Amazon opens their stores around town, oh my!
totally agree with you and have been thinking this for years: the idea of the old fashion nationwide super sized grocery stores,like malls are on their way out. Millennials are inclined to shop: specialty stores, and or bargain,no frills stores. I am betting all those you mentioned, Vons, Ralphs, and Albersons will be a thing of the past in 10 or so years. Who would ever have thought Sears and penny's would have to struggle and eventually go out of business? Everything changes over the years.

Highlanderfil: if you do not think mellennials are not drawn to Aldis I would like to ask you a couple of questions? Who do you think does the majority of shopping if it isn't that age group and how many Aldi's have you shopped at?

OPS: just noticed this thread is a year old.

Last edited by nmnita; 05-01-2018 at 09:54 AM..

Old 05-01-2018, 09:48 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,797,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Looks like closest Aldi to me are Santa Clarita and Simi , both far to drive to a market . I did go to one in Florida just to check it out

I've been to a grocery outlet . Some very low prices on stuff at grocery outlet but a lot of the stuff is close to expiration or use by dates , not a big deal I guess if you will use it soon .
They have some good deals on wine , different wineries that you don't find at the bigger markets .

Since they are buying closeout stuff the inventory is always changing .
We have never found the expiration problems at Aldi's. They mostly carry just their own brands. the produce, I will say is hit or miss: mostly very good, but we have gotten some that was close to spoiled. There dairy products are unbelievably inexpensive. I am not fond of the cheese, especially the blue cheese, pretty tasteless. Their can foods are much less expensive and every bit as good as leading brands. The secret is no frills and not a million brands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles