Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2017, 02:03 PM

3,117 posts, read 4,587,033 times

Advertisements

Here's a weird one for you.

I was coming out of a store and got into my car, and I saw an insurance fraud scam in progress in front of me. Basically, I saw 2 cars "parked" with people in them on the side of a road leading to a mall (leaving the locations anonymous for obvious reasons) - the tail car about half a block back. Then I saw the lead car flash its brake lights twice, and knew exactly what was about to happen, so turned my dash cam to capture it. Sure enough, some blonde lady in an SUV coming from the other direction got into the median to turn left into the mall parking lot. I saw the lead car "wave" the lady to turn before proceeding to "drive on his merry way". As soon as she was committed to the turn, the lead car pulled forward, blocking the entrance to the parking lot. The tail car then drove up and broadsided the now-trapped blocking the lane of traffic SUV from the left lane of oncoming traffic. The lead car then sped off.

Captured the whole thing on video. All of it. I even have plate numbers.

So I sat in my car and waited for the police to arrive and do an initial assessment, and then walked up to the cruiser and informed them not only of what I had seen and the type of scam it was, but also told them that I caught the whole thing on my dash cam and would be happy to provide it.

The officers didn't want it! They took my name, but not my phone number, and wrote the lady who had just gotten conned a ticket.

Is this normal for LA? And further, without that dash cam footage, this accident is going to go down as this lady's fault. Is there any way to find out who she was and get her the footage so she can fight that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2017, 02:13 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,183,426 times
doesn't sound like it. You should have talked to the lady at the scene. Lately cops are worthless. My step brother got beaten up by a homeless guy and when the cops arrived he pointed out the guy walking down the street and the cops did nothing. Just took a report and left my step bro to go to the hospital. I hope the lady wasn't hurt.

Old 06-19-2017, 02:18 PM

183 posts, read 207,239 times
I want to thank you for filming this incident and trying to help out. I don't have any advice but hope someone on this forum does.

Old 06-19-2017, 02:19 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,463,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
doesn't sound like it. You should have talked to the lady at the scene. Lately cops are worthless. My step brother got beaten up by a homeless guy and when the cops arrived he pointed out the guy walking down the street and the cops did nothing. Just took a report and left my step bro to go to the hospital. I hope the lady wasn't hurt.
Wow , I guess they got the memo from Garcetti that homeless are protected class in L.A .
Seems like you can get away with a lot being "homeless "

Old 06-19-2017, 02:26 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,824,614 times
what are the odds that this was in Glendale?

Old 06-19-2017, 02:29 PM

4,481 posts, read 2,286,736 times
Cops have no obligation to protect anyone or enforce laws. Crazy right?

Old 06-19-2017, 02:30 PM

California and especially la seem like great places for criminals to live and do business .

Old 06-19-2017, 02:40 PM

1,298 posts, read 1,823,783 times
It's a longshot, but try contacting David Goldstein at CBS 2. He's an investigative reporter and this may of interest.
The officer's actions seem incomprehensible. Either he didn't want to do any extra work or could be involved in the scam.
Here's the link to Goldstein. https://muckrack.com/david-goldstein

Old 06-19-2017, 02:46 PM

The Los Angeles forum on Reddit might be a good place too .
It seems to get a lot of activity

https://www.reddit.com/r/LosAngeles/

Old 06-19-2017, 02:55 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,183,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Wow , I guess they got the memo from Garcetti that homeless are protected class in L.A .
Seems like you can get away with a lot being "homeless "

it was a very bad situation. My step bro couldn't work for 3 days. I posted about it in detail under Orange County and post is under homeless encampment along the 57
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles