Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 11:41 AM
cmt cmt started this thread

6 posts, read 29,135 times

Advertisements

Hello! I'm new to this so please bear with me!
I want to move from nyc to l.a. mostly around the hollywood area since people there will help me crash with them for a short period of time. Being that as it may, my question is what is a great location to live in (neighborhood/street wise)? Secondly, how do I move? should I just go there or should I go there with a job? Can I get a job from ny without using the present job in ny?
Please help any suggestions will be awesome
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2007, 11:13 AM

87 posts, read 411,389 times
do u know exactly where u want to live in hollywood. hollywood is a big place even though it doesnt really look it i live about 20 min from hollywood blvd and sunset strip

Old 07-18-2007, 11:22 AM

723 posts, read 3,000,092 times
Welcome!

First, why the frowny face? NY is a dump compared to LA!!! You're moving UP in the world.

Secondly, I wouldn't come here without a job, unless you think you can find work right away.

Thirdly, to answer one of your specific questions, you will probably need to be here to get a job. BUT! If you have friends here, maybe you can submit your resumes online with his/her address on the top. Then if you are called to interview, simply tell the employer you are in New York and will be back [next week].

Old 07-18-2007, 11:38 AM

I am trying to find a job in NY in order to transfer out to L.A. but its not working for me; thats why I had the idea of going out there without a job. Great idea on using a friends address, I'm going to do it. The area of Hollywood that I would like to be near is by N.Mansfield, by that area. Should I go with a temp agency?

Old 07-18-2007, 12:18 PM

7 posts, read 8,195 times
First of all,

Why do you want to move to L.A.? Who the hell would move out here without a job? What is going on here that you want to rush out here without a plan of what you'll do?

Secondly, Hollywood is gross in general. L.A. is pretty much an ugly hole, unless you move to the nice pocket areas of west L.A. Just a warning.

Old 07-18-2007, 03:13 PM

1,398 posts, read 6,607,979 times
paging. . . Mariliyn220! Our New York transplant who did what you're proposing. If she doesn't see this in time, my educated guess would be that she'd intimate you're going from the frying pan into the fire.

What's your more pressing reason to move here? If it's relocating to specifically get into the entertainment business, that would be realistic. Join the legions of waiters who are busy networking in their spare time and doing small theatre. Better neighborhoods for same would be Studio City, parts of Noho, Toluca Lake and Burbank.

If you think this is NY with better weather, you're in for a shock (not about the weather, about the nature of our spread out city.) Many of our transplanted posters here decry the lack of unity of L.A., insofar as the many ethnicities here are insular, exclusive, and occasionally antagonistic to one another. In many, many areas of L.A., there will be no signage whatsover in English. The meager efforts to catch up on public transportation don't compare to NYC: our metro trains, which don't go everywhere at all, close down too early to permit using them for clubbing. Bus riding will only be enjoyed by those with a zeal for true adventure.

If you elaborate on what you want out of L.A. rather than a crash pad neighborhood, note that many posters here are happy to help inform you. All the "great" neighborhoods of L.A. are its most expensive, unfortunately. There's always a problem here of balancing safety, affordabilitiy and commuting distance to work. By the by you will need a car. . . Good luck.

Old 07-18-2007, 05:35 PM

1,749 posts, read 8,340,471 times
I life right next to Hollywood in Los Feliz and like it a lot. Hollywood runs the gamut from mansions in Camrose, Whitley Heights, Beachwood Canyon and Hollywood Dell to crusty apartments around Santa Monica and Beverly and lots of variation in between. What Hollywood has is life...lots of things are open until 3 or 4am or 24hrs. Yes, there are cleaner areas but they're typically not as interesting and roll up the sidewalks early. Old Pasadena is an exception. I can't say enough good things about it.

Regarding getting here...the best thing to do is to get out here however you can and get a job here. If you get a job and transfer...that is one way to do it but if you do, make sure you don't have to train all over again when you get here. I went through that once moving back to L.A. when I had to do a month of training far from my house so I could work at the place 4 blocks away. I don't commute.

Get rid of all your stuff. Everything. Come with suitcases. Moving stuff is a waste of money when you're young and broke. Greyhound has a $99 special right now. My warning is that many run out of money and have to make the call for the rescue ticket home.

Old 07-18-2007, 10:03 PM

1,287 posts, read 5,026,592 times
It sounds like you are not working in NY right now either. If that is the case, you have nothing to lose by coming to LA, if this is where you want to be. Don't know how old you are, but obviously the younger you are and less obligations you have will make it easier to make the cross country move. In addition to having a place to stay and some savings while you are looking for a job/temping, you will absolutely need a car. Life in LA with no car is rough and you will be miserable. So be sure to have enough money to get yourself a set of wheels either before or right after you move.

Old 07-19-2007, 08:04 AM

13 posts, read 79,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorcerer68 View Post

Get rid of all your stuff. Everything. Come with suitcases. Moving stuff is a waste of money when you're young and broke. Greyhound has a $99 special right now. My warning is that many run out of money and have to make the call for the rescue ticket home.
This is great advice right here. I think that's my plan, too. I have a bunch of home theater stuff that frankly, I don't need and would be a distraction. I plan on dumping it so I don't have to worry about hauling it 2900 miles.

Last edited by Monskwar; 07-19-2007 at 08:05 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 07-20-2007, 02:12 PM

I appreciate everyones opinion and I have read them all twice.. so Thank You!
Let me first address some of the questions:
Yes I do have a job in NY in accounting although my degree is in Social Services, am a year married and no kids; which is why I believe would be a perfect time to move to start anew. We are both in our late 20's born and raised in NYC, we both hate NYC and its no place to start a new life.
Its not an emergency to move out of the fryingpan and into the fire but we would like to give it a chance. Obvoiusly we would have enough money to go out there however initially I asked if it would be best to go to a Temp Agency and if so which ones would be recommened?
Also if anyone else had made a trip from NY to LA and what the experience was like for them.
Like I said before thanks for the great advice some bad some good but nonetheless THANKS
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles