Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2008, 07:22 PM

2 posts, read 10,551 times

Advertisements

I'm intrigued by Topanga Canyon--it looks like it'll have a more small-town/rural feel than a lot of places. Am I right? And what is the commute like, either going north to the 101 and down the 405 or south to PCH and Sunset? I know I'll be working in Brentwood, and am looking for something affordable, safe and non-urban.

A bit of a drive is fine, but an hour is too much....

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2008, 08:15 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,187,529 times
You'll definitely want to take the canyon road to PCH. From there you can exit at California and take Wilshire to Brentwood. I would guess that the commute could range anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour or perhaps longer if PCH has any issues (ie mudslide, fires, etc).

Old 03-12-2008, 08:57 PM

31 posts, read 86,943 times
I used to live in Simi Valley and worked on Santa Monica and 20th. Got sick of the 405 real quick so started to take Topanga Canyon to PCH. I would leave before 6AM and it wasn't bad but coming home was always a lot of traffic. But I remember sitting in traffic on PCH by the Palisades, top down, beautiful houses on my right, the ocean on my left, hot babes roller blading the strand and thinking, "not a bad place to be stuck in traffic, could be in Chicago in a blizzard or something".

So it depends on what time you have to go in and get off. No matter what, it's not too bad. People travel from all over the world on vacation just to drive the same route!

Old 03-13-2008, 12:53 AM

1,297 posts, read 5,507,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonSez View Post
I'm intrigued by Topanga Canyon--it looks like it'll have a more small-town/rural feel than a lot of places. Am I right? And what is the commute like, either going north to the 101 and down the 405 or south to PCH and Sunset? I know I'll be working in Brentwood, and am looking for something affordable, safe and non-urban.

A bit of a drive is fine, but an hour is too much....

Thanks!
Commute isnt all that bad. Depends on where you live in Topanga. You can catch sunset or Entrada to San Vicente to reach Brentwood. If you drive during rush hours expect slow train rides up topanga and traffic on pch depending on the time.

I would not suggest 101 to 405 to brentwood. long commute. Have you also considered inland homes in malibu?

Old 03-14-2008, 04:20 AM

2 posts, read 10,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greggd View Post
Commute isnt all that bad. Depends on where you live in Topanga. You can catch sunset or Entrada to San Vicente to reach Brentwood. If you drive during rush hours expect slow train rides up topanga and traffic on pch depending on the time.

I would not suggest 101 to 405 to brentwood. long commute. Have you also considered inland homes in malibu?

Malibu never occurred to us--we assumed prices were too high. Would I just search for Malibu homes, or is there a specific/different city name to look for? (We're a couple of thousand miles away right now....)

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

Old 03-14-2008, 05:09 PM

1,297 posts, read 5,507,974 times
Quote:
Malibu never occurred to us--we assumed prices were too high. Would I just search for Malibu homes, or is there a specific/different city name to look for? (We're a couple of thousand miles away right now....)

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

You can try this site to find homes for sale: TheMLS.com: Guests Site

This site is directed more toward rentals properties: westside-southbay-310 apts/housing for rent classifieds - craigslist

Since you are new to the area, I would suggest you rent a place on a short term basis, then take your time to find the exact area that is best for you.

Definetly spend time in both areas before buying. Only time and experience can determine the best fit for you. All is not as it seems on one or two scenic drive throughs.

Keep in mind that Malibu can extend way back inland to the 101 hwy/valley area. Quite a few advertisments, such as "Archstone" like to use the malibu name but realistically they are way on the eastern edge and closer/or in the Thousand Oaks area. That would be a very long commute. So when you see a location or address, try and google map it and see where it lands in relation to the pacific. There are a range of properties available in malibu and are relatively close to the Pacific Coast Hwy.

Old 02-14-2011, 09:46 PM

1 posts, read 4,060 times
Interesting information. I am in a similar situation, thinking about moving up to Topanga from Santa Monica, with a commute to UCLA. Is it really the commute back to Topanga that is bad? What would be the best time to commute if one had a flexible schedule (i.e. I can get to campus anytime between 7am and 9am and leave between 4:30 and 6pm). Thanks! (p.s. did the person who suggested Malibu not like Topanga for some reason? What do you mean that all is not as it seems?)

Old 02-15-2011, 12:45 AM

4,213 posts, read 8,303,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfcamazonia View Post
Interesting information. I am in a similar situation, thinking about moving up to Topanga from Santa Monica, with a commute to UCLA. Is it really the commute back to Topanga that is bad? What would be the best time to commute if one had a flexible schedule (i.e. I can get to campus anytime between 7am and 9am and leave between 4:30 and 6pm). Thanks! (p.s. did the person who suggested Malibu not like Topanga for some reason? What do you mean that all is not as it seems?)
I know someone who lives in Topanga and had to commute right by UCLA every day. She said she spent half her life in a car. Don't do it unless you're desperately needing a rural area. Even Santa Monica to UCLA can be 30 mins or more during rush hour. So you're looking at least an hour, sometimes 90 minutes.

Old 03-07-2011, 05:37 AM

1 posts, read 3,978 times
Topanga is beautiful but highly inconvenient. The charm can wear off really quickly. Rent. Give it a shot! Lots of people make the drive daily. Try to adjust your hours so that you don't get caught in the 7:25-8:45 snake of traffic heading down the canyon and the Topanga Elementary School back-up. Learn alternate routes out and home for those days the canyon is shut down due to an accident or a mudslide. Also, try looking in the Fernwood, PO Tract (up Entrada) or even the Old Topanga Canyon Rd. area so that you can avoid getting stuck in the Topanga Elementary traffic. The closer you are to PCH, the less drive time on the long and winding road.

Old 03-07-2011, 08:35 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,945,093 times
Quote:
I'm intrigued by Topanga Canyon--it looks like it'll have a more small-town/rural feel than a lot of places. Am I right?
Not really. Well, unless your definition of "small town feel" is that of "of the earth", yoga, new age, spiritual, vegan, artsy type people. That is Topanga Canyon area. That is why I like it so much. My kind of people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles