Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2017, 06:06 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,642,029 times

Advertisements

Anyone know what the deal is? It's one thing if they're in a bike lane, but how about when there is no bike lane?

For example last night I was in the Valley about 8pm and 3 of them are taking a leisure ride on Oxnard, holding up traffic.

They can't do the speed limit which is 35 mph but there they are. Many of them I notice also don't have back lights or any reflectors.

Saw one of these jokers on Melrose one night about 10pm, had the helmet and the whole outfit....no lights at all. You couldn't see him until you were right on him.

Do they have a death wish or are they so arrogant that they think a car hitting them isn't going to hurt?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2017, 11:01 PM

2,088 posts, read 1,974,409 times
Bikes legally can ride in a car lane, but most I see move over to let cars pass when able. Why anyone would bike without lights, who knows?

Old 09-15-2017, 12:29 AM

13,583 posts, read 15,664,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texamichiforniasota View Post
Bikes legally can ride in a car lane, but most I see move over to let cars pass when able. Why anyone would bike without lights, who knows?
Every now and then I see one of these activist types who rides in the middle of the lane, and intentionally picks fights with drivers whose tempers have been raised.

Old 09-15-2017, 12:35 AM

11,761 posts, read 7,260,344 times
I ride a bicycle and I can't imagine being such an entitled mentality to think I have the right to hog up a regular car lane and hold up traffic. I see these morons all the time...they sure have the gall.

Old 09-15-2017, 06:04 AM

672 posts, read 2,175,874 times
Bikes can take a whole lane if they want to, legally. But everyone knows that car drivers are so petty and violent, that it would be stupid to try it. Weird how car drivers can sit in bumper to bumper traffic all day and not try to kill the person in a car in the lane in front of them, but if a pedestrian or cyclist slows them down for a moment, that is reason to try to run them over.

But a lot of cyclists are stupid, because they are people, and people are stupid. It is just, as a society, we expect drivers to be idiots and that's okay, but everyone else has to be a saint, or they deserve to die.

Old 09-15-2017, 07:26 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,539,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike121 View Post
Weird how car drivers can sit in bumper to bumper traffic all day and not try to kill the person in a car in the lane in front of them, but if a pedestrian or cyclist slows them down for a moment, that is reason to try to run them over.
It's because when we are in bumper to bumper traffic there is nowhere to go. When Mr. Biker gets in the middle of my lane at a cool 17mph in a 35 there's usually empty road of him because he can't keep up with the flow of trafic.

Old 09-15-2017, 08:06 AM

50,294 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike121 View Post
Bikes can take a whole lane if they want to, legally. But everyone knows that car drivers are so petty and violent, that it would be stupid to try it. Weird how car drivers can sit in bumper to bumper traffic all day and not try to kill the person in a car in the lane in front of them, but if a pedestrian or cyclist slows them down for a moment, that is reason to try to run them over.

But a lot of cyclists are stupid, because they are people, and people are stupid. It is just, as a society, we expect drivers to be idiots and that's okay, but everyone else has to be a saint, or they deserve to die.
Riding at night without lights is just suicide. When I commuted for a couple of years I started carrying because of the dogs that would have a go at me. Funny that at that time I don't remember being tailgated by the crazies. Now that that option is off the table the crazies have full reign of the streets so I don't commute by bicycle anymore. Even with the "bikes have full use of lane" signs in the middle of the lane people will still honk, ride your tire and pass you full throttle as close as possible.

Sometimes bikes have no choice but to take roads without a bike lane to get from A to B. That part is scary.

Old 09-15-2017, 08:08 AM

8,342 posts, read 6,431,022 times
They use the road and need to help pay for it. Bicycles should be licenced and registered just like cars.

Old 09-15-2017, 10:01 AM

4,795 posts, read 4,824,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
They use the road and need to help pay for it. Bicycles should be licenced and registered just like cars.
I'm pretty sure most pay taxes. Don't worry they are turning car lanes into bike lanes all over LA to solve the problem

Old 09-15-2017, 10:12 AM

3,437 posts, read 3,287,395 times
as if it takes forever to pass them. just be patient, it doesn't take 3 minutes just to wait until you can safely pass them, you are going to stop at the next intersection anyway
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles