Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2017, 09:53 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,475,684 times

Advertisements

What do you all think of this "pilot program"?

--
A trio of Los Angeles City Council members from the Harbor Area and the San Fernando Valley proposed a plan Friday aimed at clearing away the mountains of trash that have cropped up on city streets, sidewalks and alleyways. And they are hoping the city’s homeless will step up to help clear some of it away.

The presence of trash throughout the city has grown into a huge task, with 200 complaints coming per day demanding that the rubbish be cleared away, according to council members Joe Buscaino, Bob Blumenfield and Nury Martinez.

As some are blaming homeless encampments for exacerbating the trash issue, the trio of city leaders said Friday they want to set up a “pilot program” to hire homeless individuals to be part of crews that clean up trash and litter in public areas.

LA leaders want to pay homeless to pick up trash from the streets – Daily News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2017, 09:59 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,619,498 times
Sounds like a good idea but the unions would be outraged and put a stop to it.

Old 09-29-2017, 11:30 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,672,061 times
Why can't we pay somebody to pick the homeless up from the streets? That would solve more than one problem.

Old 09-30-2017, 05:08 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,810,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
Why can't we pay somebody to pick the homeless up from the streets? That would solve more than one problem.
Can't rep you again til I spread it around, but thanks for my early morning smile.

I do have to say, the idea of paying them to pick up trash isn't a bad idea, but how many are willing to work for min wage? if they wanted to work for min wage they would be out there working.

Old 09-30-2017, 10:29 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,412,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Can't rep you again til I spread it around, but thanks for my early morning smile.

I do have to say, the idea of paying them to pick up trash isn't a bad idea, but how many are willing to work for min wage? if they wanted to work for min wage they would be out there working.
Wait, they will become rich as they will pick it up and then dump more trash so they get paid for picking it up again and then they will dump more trash and ...........................

Old 09-30-2017, 11:15 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,475,684 times
Quote:

Min wage is now $12 in la for companies over 26 employees and $10.50 for those with less than 26 employees

By 2020 which is around the corner min wage will be $15 in la which works out to $31,200 year working 40 hrs week .

Many small business owners don't even make very much per hour considering how many hours they put in and all the expenses of running a business .
I think the business landscape will change significantly. Then people will ask what happened to all the small businesses .
We will probably also see more retail converted to housing since there is a lot of demand for housing and operating a mom and pop joint won't be as attractive .

The min wage law is for CA too , wages will be a lot higher than other states like Texas but that doesn't mean businesses will bring in more money . Sure it's one thing if one is running a tech company paying programmers $100k or more on average ...the min wage law won't affect you probably but there are tons of little mom and pop joints that are industries with very slim margins that it will hurt .

The politicians don't care unfortunately. Jerry Brown was against the $15 min wage at first then he gave in to union pressure .

Old 10-03-2017, 08:51 AM

5,681 posts, read 5,166,034 times
Quote:
if they wanted to work for min wage they would be out there working.
Highly debatable, this. A large percentage of the homeless aren't employable (no SS#/identification, nobody will hire a homeless person, mental illnesses, etc.) - which, in turn, begs a question of how the city is planning to get around this particular dilemma.

Old 10-03-2017, 10:35 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,412,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlanderfil View Post
Highly debatable, this. A large percentage of the homeless aren't employable (no SS#/identification, nobody will hire a homeless person, mental illnesses, etc.) - which, in turn, begs a question of how the city is planning to get around this particular dilemma.
They don't care. Look how many illegals with no identification get hired.

Old 10-03-2017, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
They don't care. Look how many illegals with no identification get hired.
Who is "they"? I'm pretty certain the city doesn't hire "many illegals with no identification".

Old 10-03-2017, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipMcGee View Post
I agree. They hire Illegals WITH (other peoples) documentation.
Proof?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles