Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2017, 11:01 PM

128 posts, read 148,560 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,

I'm 28 bachelor with a BS in mechanical engineering. I need to move to LA and find some type of job that can pay the bills till I can land the ideal engineering job I want. I have family there that can help a bit but not much. with that being said I dont even know where to look honestly.

I want to narrow down all possible job prospects that can usually have enough hourly pay to survive in LA county. I have looked at Downey/Alhambra/VeniceBeach side even.

typical one bedroom rent I'm willing to spend is 1500-1600.

I'm just stuck on where and what type of jobs to look for with my qualifications since I'm in Washington trying to plan this out.

Greatly appreciate any help. I plan to move in December
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2017, 11:49 AM

270 posts, read 210,869 times
Craigslist and Indeed have many jobs listing that you can do temporary and they train you also. These jobs I'm talking about are mostly commission job with sales that offer full time or flexible hours. Some of them can work from home.

For me I found that the energy field is booming and easily get hired on the spot. 1099 job doesn't take long like W2.

At this point try to take any job that you can while you are waiting to get into your field.

That is a good budget for a 1 bed and in most area can get it for 2 beds. I'm in Long Beach so I can only say for the vicinity around here like Bellflower/Long Beach/Downey/ Lakewood.

Old 10-13-2017, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sreysrey View Post
Craigslist and Indeed have many jobs listing that you can do temporary and they train you also. These jobs I'm talking about are mostly commission job with sales that offer full time or flexible hours. Some of them can work from home.

For me I found that the energy field is booming and easily get hired on the spot. 1099 job doesn't take long like W2.

At this point try to take any job that you can while you are waiting to get into your field.

That is a good budget for a 1 bed and in most area can get it for 2 beds. I'm in Long Beach so I can only say for the vicinity around here like Bellflower/Long Beach/Downey/ Lakewood.
I am honestly willing to take any job I am not worried on that its just I dont quite know the minimum hourly wage I would need to be able to earn a modest living.

I heard you need close to 20/hr as a single male in LA. I dont eat out alot nor spend alot. I am actually quite cheap so I am just thinking from your experience what is the minimum hourly wage you think I should have in the greater LA area?

I am looking closely to Alhambra/Downey/Venice maybe/Burbank

thanks alot for your input though

Old 10-13-2017, 03:33 PM

6,230 posts, read 3,609,008 times
I don't get it. If you have a BS in mechanical engineering why are you willing to take just any job that pays the bare minimum to cover your bills? And if you have an engineering degree how come you can't figure out what your hourly wage should be to afford a $1500/mo apartment plus living expenses?

Old 10-13-2017, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaphawoman View Post
I don't get it. If you have a BS in mechanical engineering why are you willing to take just any job that pays the bare minimum to cover your bills? And if you have an engineering degree how come you can't figure out what your hourly wage should be to afford a $1500/mo apartment plus living expenses?
Because getting a legitimate engineering job doesn't happen overnight and Is competitive coming out of college. If you want to help which is the point of this website I can give you more details maybe you can guide me? Or did you have other intentions?

I live in Seattle and typical cost of living is different here than out there. I can get detailed but asking the locals is a lot more efficient. What do you think?

Old 10-13-2017, 05:46 PM

9 posts, read 10,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by varun2123 View Post
Because getting a legitimate engineering job doesn't happen overnight and Is competitive coming out of college. If you want to help which is the point of this website I can give you more details maybe you can guide me? Or did you have other intentions?

I live in Seattle and typical cost of living is different here than out there. I can get detailed but asking the locals is a lot more efficient. What do you think?
Same situation here. Graduating from a university in December and moving to LA. I will have a BS in actuarial science and will be applying for a banking/financial job in November. I don't have professional experience, and it makes me nervous Maybe try to get a paid internship now? The average internship hourly wage in LA is $21, which is ok to start with. But it seems like there aren't many technical jobs in LA area It's mostly marketing, entertainment, and some software programming from my research.

Old 10-13-2017, 06:19 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,823,491 times
https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/stud...for-engineers/

Old 10-13-2017, 06:48 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,784,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
Good stuff!

Huntsville, AL:

Pay: $103K

Rent: $725

San Jose, CA:

Pay: $120K

Rent: $1,640

But...but...but the weather here is so nice here.

Old 10-13-2017, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
Good stuff!

Huntsville, AL:

Pay: $103K

Rent: $725

San Jose, CA:

Pay: $120K

Rent: $1,640

But...but...but the weather here is so nice here.
Would love to move out there but I guess people aren't reading my thread. Due to family situations I need to move to LA to watch over some relatives.

Old 10-13-2017, 08:55 PM

8,391 posts, read 7,646,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by varun2123 View Post

I'll tell you the WORST way to find a job. It's asking strangers on the internet who don't know you, who haven't seen your resume, and who probably aren't mechanical engineers how to find a job.

Instead, here are a few better places to turn for advice.

If you're coming right out of college, ask some of your professors for advice on how to find a job. You might also try your college's career service office; usually they can help somewhat. There may also be recruitment fairs on your campus -- ask career services and the engineering school about this. (Even if you're a recent grad, you should still be able to access some of these things).

There are also professional associations for different engineering fields that sometimes have job boards that you can look on (you may have to sign up for membership to access).

For mechanical engineers, the big professional association is ASME. They have lots of good advice on how to find engineering jobs on their website as well. Check it out. http://www.asme.org/career-education/job-hunting

ASME no doubt has a chapter in the LA area. If so, get in touch with them.

ASME has a forum for members. That might be a good place to ask for advice on finding your first job. If you're still a student, you can probably get a student membership rate.

If this is your first job out of college, don't settle for "minimum." The amount you start with will determine your salary for years to come. And, also, don't focus just on one city (like LA). Your goal shouldn't be to move to a specific place, but rather to find the BEST first job you can, regardless of where it might be located. So, cast a wide net on job search sites (Indeed.com, Monster.com)

Last edited by RosieSD; 10-13-2017 at 09:07 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles