Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2017, 06:22 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,824,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Freeman View Post
You can’t be saying things like “no offense” then saying “Antelope Valley sucks” like if it’s supposed to take away the passive aggressive asepct.

Yes it is centrally located and i’m sure most on here would agree with me. Have you looked at a map recently? I could go to the beach and Disneyland same day and get back home. I won’t be commuting to LA so that won’t be a quality of life issue.

I mean come on Lancaster is literally in between the Nevada state line and the Pacific. Deserts and mountains on the eastern side and Beaches on the western. I get the best of both worlds.

This thread was going good until you came along honestly, why does there always have to be someone throwing in a negative snarky side comment in every post?
You're really underestimating Los Angeles/Socal traffic if you really believe that. You won't be doing that unless you plan on spending 30 minutes at the beach and 30 minutes at Disneyland.

I can understanding living there if you can work there and make a decent salary. But there is nothing to do there, most of your neighbors will be immigrants and families that were pushed out of Los Angeles ghettos due to gentrification and some retirees/desert rats. If you have kids that need to go to school I would just make sure you fully understand the state of education system there and safety in schools and what you're options are including private schools and those costs.

Old 11-12-2017, 06:42 PM

234 posts, read 303,915 times
Awwwww, the AV ain’t that bad. There’s actually a lot to do if you like to do outdoorsy stuff. I moved to the area a couple of years ago with the mindset that we would spend our time here exploring areas that we would likely never take the time to go see if we lived back in the Bay Area or Seattle; I.e. Death Valley, Paso Robles wine country, Big Bear, Sequoia National Park, etc..

Living in the AV or Kern County puts you in a real unique area, and you do not battle any LA traffic to get there because you are already on top of it. If you have a good job and can live in that area that’s the goal, getting the good, high-paying job is the issue.

Old 11-12-2017, 08:03 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,137,667 times
OP,

You are getting good advice here. The AV is not a desireable area of Socal. Do yourself a favor and just visit it first before making the move. The high deseret is nothing like the Tucson area. Generally you have all the negatives of the desert with few positives. Many negatives of Socal living with few positives. You come across as having a naive or unrealistic idea of what the area and location is like. I understand you want this to work, but like I said, visit first. Who knows, maybe you will like it.

Old 11-12-2017, 08:53 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,966,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
I can understanding living there if you can work there and make a decent salary. But there is nothing to do there, most of your neighbors will be immigrants and families that were pushed out of Los Angeles ghettos due to gentrification and some retirees/desert rats. If you have kids that need to go to school I would just make sure you fully understand the state of education system there and safety in schools and what you're options are including private schools and those costs.
This type of general broad brush of AV is just stupid. I’ve only been here a short time, a bit over a month but I live here and go different parts of AV to shop. There are solid neighborhoods here and there are also not so good areas. In general the east side is on the poor side but as you past 47th street east on Palmdale Blvd the neighborhoods look better again with many shops. My wife and I have no trouble go to East Palmdale to shop during the day time. We have not been there during night time but we usually stay home after dark anyway. We are boring people, get up early to go to work and pay our bills.

That’s another thing, people here are NICE! No matter where I go, bank or supermarkets, I always get courteous reception. You would not know that unless you live here and interact with people.

The west side of Palmdale is solidly middle/ upper middle class. When I was house hunting I met many homeowners who work for/ retired from major aerospace firms such as Lockheed, Boeing, or NGC. There are a lot of ex-military here and for me that’s solid Americans. I have not driven through any neighborhoods where I would be in fear of my safety. I am a professional, I don’t go looking for trouble, and I live my live here just fine.

There are charms living here and it’s definitely not just for the rejects of LA only. For us we came because of good high paying jobs and we’re glad this is a nice suburbia in the high desert. Every place has good & bad neighborhoods. You’ll just need to do your homework and decide what you want/ can afford. With your budget of $400K you are in the buying range of some very nice homes in WEST Palmdale. Try to buy a single family house with that budget in Santa Clarita, or in LA/OC.

Old 11-12-2017, 09:03 PM

234 posts, read 303,915 times
Yea I don’t get people saying you only get the negatives of so cal but no positives. The negatives of so cal in and around LA are: horrible traffic, bad air quality, overpriced real estate. The AV is far superior to LA or the IE in those areas... it’s not close to the beach, it’s windy and it gets hot in the summer, that’s it.

Live in the nice area like these people and you are going to have a perfectly middle class, suburban lifestyle.

Old 11-12-2017, 09:12 PM

6,358 posts, read 7,770,912 times
Mark . . . I want you to remember one thing when you read these posts. Of the post that trash the AV, not a single person who posted mentioned that they live or lived in the AV. So, it is 'second hand' information. Of those who had neutral or positive things to say, a lot of them said the live in or lived in the AV. Who would you rather believe? However, before making any type of commitment to move here, I agree that an extended visit, or several, is worthwhile, and valuable in making an informed decision.

- - -

One other thing . . . any place that has a symphony orchestra can't be all bad. There is an element of culture here, a lot of it revolves around the college.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 11-13-2017, 01:19 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,729,877 times
Thread posted by multiple times banned troll - closed.
Yac.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles