Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2017, 08:07 PM

7 posts, read 5,364 times

Advertisements

Hello, I live in Tucson right now and have been for the last 20 years. I’v always wanted to move to Southern California but the cost of living seems to be rising every year at a fast rate. I’v looked through literally every suburb in SoCal and it seems like Palmdale Lancaster area is in my affordablity range. Being close to the beach is a big deal for me. I know Antelope Valley isn’t exactly next to the beach but it looks like an easy quick drive judging off Google Map.

There seems to be great schools for my children and the environment is very suburban so it shouldn’t be too hard to adapt for them. Any help would be great! I’m just concerned at the bad reputation of the area based on what i’v read on old City Data post. I’m hoping ether they’re exaggerating or things have improved.

Old 11-11-2017, 08:23 PM

234 posts, read 303,915 times
Having worked here for the last couple of years; the bad parts are bad, but the good parts are perfectly fine. Just stick to the west side of 14, there are some great housing areas around west Palmdale/Lancaster: Rancho Vista, Quartz Hill, etc....

Old 11-11-2017, 09:18 PM

71 posts, read 119,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Freeman View Post
Hello, I live in Tucson right now and have been for the last 20 years. I’v always wanted to move to Southern California but the cost of living seems to be rising every year at a fast rate. I’v looked through literally every suburb in SoCal and it seems like Palmdale Lancaster area is in my affordablity range. Being close to the beach is a big deal for me. I know Antelope Valley isn’t exactly next to the beach but it looks like an easy quick drive judging off Google Map.

There seems to be great schools for my children and the environment is very suburban so it shouldn’t be too hard to adapt for them. Any help would be great! I’m just concerned at the bad reputation of the area based on what i’v read on old City Data post. I’m hoping ether they’re exaggerating or things have improved.
2 plus hours to the beach (each way if you're lucky) is not close to the beach!

Old 11-11-2017, 09:29 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,463,616 times
You aren't going to get the L.A or typical "SoCal" experience in the Antelope Valley, but housing is definitely relatively affordable.

Besides the beach in L.A being 2 hours or so away is there anything else drawing you to the area?

I don't know Tuscon too well but I'm pretty sure there is a lot more going on there versus Lancaster or Palmdale.

There also don't seem to be too many great jobs in the area either..and I wouldn't really recommend commuting into L.A to work.

Have you been to the Lancaster/Palmdale area before? If you have an like it then who cares what other people think?

Old 11-11-2017, 10:10 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,824,614 times
The schools are not good

Old 11-11-2017, 10:28 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,966,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Freeman View Post

So you’ thinking of moving to AV because “... being close to the beach...” is a big deal to you?

Do you have a job? Need an income to live?

Give us more....

Old 11-11-2017, 10:32 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,046,521 times
Have you looked at beach city Oxnard prices?

Old 11-11-2017, 11:36 PM

1 posts, read 1,179 times
On this site you will find all kinds of dresses.

Old 11-12-2017, 03:10 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,463,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaririopelle21 View Post
On this site you will find all kinds of dresses.
You sure you on the right site ?

Old 11-12-2017, 03:25 AM

30,896 posts, read 36,965,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
You aren't going to get the L.A or typical "SoCal" experience in the Antelope Valley, but housing is definitely relatively affordable.

Besides the beach in L.A being 2 hours or so away is there anything else drawing you to the area?

I don't know Tuscon too well but I'm pretty sure there is a lot more going on there versus Lancaster or Palmdale.

There also don't seem to be too many great jobs in the area either..and I wouldn't really recommend commuting into L.A to work.
I agree with the above.

Having lived in Tucson and only visited Palmdale/Lancaster I think Tucson is a better place to live overall.

--Better climate, although subjective (warmer winters in Tucson, although summers in Tucson hotter, too).
--Less traffic (especially because most people in Palmdale/Lancaster have to commute long distances for decent paying employment).
--Lower cost of living in Tucson.
--Tucson, being a university town has a better arts/culture scene.
--Better natural scenery in Tucson.

Other than being 2 hours from the beach, I can't see any advantage to the Antelope Valley. And the thing is, if you are caught up in the work/commute daily grind (as most people with kids are), you won't be going to the beach nearly as often as you think you will--not even on the weekend. You'll be too busy doing chores and recovering from the work/commute grind. You're better off living in Tucson and just visiting CA on vacation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles