Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2018, 06:08 PM

42,864 posts, read 26,345,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
The pension plans in ca for public employees including police, firemen & correctional officers (all 3 are the highest paid in the nation) is way out of control. It now cost $75k annually to house a prisoner in ca. The national avg is $20k a year. Calimesa is making some changes as far as as the pensions go toward the firemen. ALL cities should follow.
Here is a breakdown of the costs of confining an inmate in a California prison, as you can see the costs are definitely not all attributable to employee pensions.

Legislative Analyst's Office

Healthcare is a huge expense, largely due to an aging inmate population exacerbated by the 3 strikes law. Security is higher now than it was when there were more inmates in California prisons because the inmates in California prisons are largely violent offenders now, with non violent offenders being housed in County Jails.

As a percent of total state expenditures, there are two states who spend more than California, Arizona and Virginia https://www.gobankingrates.com/makin...st-on-prisons/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2018, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
The pension plans in ca for public employees including police, firemen & correctional officers (all 3 are the highest paid in the nation) is way out of control. It now cost $75k annually to house a prisoner in ca. The national avg is $20k a year. Calimesa is making some changes as far as as the pensions go toward the firemen. ALL cities should follow.
in 2015 the average cost of confining an inmate for one year was $33,274. At that time the cost to keep an inmate in a California prison was 64k so it's probably reasonable to assume that three years later the costs for all states have increased to some extent.
https://storage.googleapis.com/vera-...ing-trends.pdf

Old 05-25-2018, 12:52 AM

142 posts, read 125,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I live in California, I don't find the taxes all that awful, but why stay here if it's that horrible?

It’s theft to start with. No wonder Moonbeam has a surplus

Old 05-25-2018, 07:22 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,884,096 times
Quote:
I live in California, I don't find the taxes all that awful...
I'll go out on a limb and guess you are not in the top marginal tax bracket for both Federal & State.

Old 05-25-2018, 07:24 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,884,096 times
Quote:
in 2015 the average cost of confining an inmate for one year was $33,274. At that time the cost to keep an inmate in a California prison was 64k so it's probably reasonable to assume that three years later the costs for all states have increased to some extent.
https://storage.googleapis.com/vera-...ing-trends.pdf
We should offshore prison services to other countries that have figures out how to do it less expensively.

Old 05-25-2018, 12:33 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,421,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
We should offshore prison services to other countries that have figures out how to do it less expensively.
Yeah, pay Mexico, Iran, Iraq, Syria, China, Russia and ... well less expensive areas.

The tax money would go a lot further and reduce prison costs in CA and pensions as fewer employees would be needed.

Old 05-25-2018, 04:45 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,801,173 times
Yeah, like the prison guard union would let that happen.

Old 05-25-2018, 04:55 PM

Quote:
I'll go out on a limb and guess you are not in the top marginal tax bracket for both Federal & State.
Nope, unlike 80% of the people on these forums I do not claim to be wealthy. Nor am I an entrepreneur or a famous inventor, real estate magnate or hedge fund trader, but since so many of you are maybe some of that will rub off on me if I hang around here long enough

Old 05-25-2018, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Since SCOTUS ruled that California can not longer house inmates out of state it's very unlikely that they would allow them to be housed in other countries.

Old 05-25-2018, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Yeah, pay Mexico, Iran, Iraq, Syria, China, Russia and ... well less expensive areas. The tax money would go a lot further and reduce prison costs in CA and pensions as fewer employees would be needed.
How are you going to force US Citizens out of the country, revoke their citizenship? Geezus...the stuff some of you come up with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles