Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2019, 01:44 PM

21,725 posts, read 16,327,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
So somewhere over 20,000
The homeless in LA county number about 55,000 total count. 15-18,000 have substance abuse problems to the point it interferes with their life, yes ... but that is not to say alcohol and drugs are the root cause of their homelessness. For some, a significant minority, homelessness is the root cause of their substance abuse. And yet others are in the category of “functioning alcoholics / addicts” ... just like non-homeless society. I’m sure your jaw would drop to find out how many addicts - even heroin addicts - and alcoholics - hold down full time employment and pay rent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2019, 01:47 PM

464 posts, read 286,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Town View Post
Most not all but most homeless are homeless because of drugs and alcohol abuse, Kind of hard to feel sorry for them.

No, I'm sorry, but it's actually more the opposite... most homeless are there for economic reasons, the ones you see on the news in tent cities are not "most" homeless...

And consider how many became substance abusers because of the pressure of the streets...

It has been demonstrated, that housing first, removing the street pressure and temptation and environment has much more success than the "let 'em sober up first, get all their problems solved, while on the street, then we'll consider subsidized housing...." old way of thinking that after 30+ years has got us where we are today.

Sometimes people just need a door they can shut behind themselves, get the "world" out for awhile and sit and think!

The new way of thinking has more of what I like to call a "reasonable chance of success," the old way is a proven failure.

Thx

Last edited by Thx-1138; 05-05-2019 at 02:21 PM..

Old 05-05-2019, 02:01 PM

Be assured guys, if there is an "opportunity" for greed, it will be taken up to the very last penny!

If someone can't afford their rent, be assured again, someone else will be able to rather than go on the street, and that high-priced apartment will not stay vacant long!

These are the "dynamics" at play here.

Thx

Old 05-05-2019, 02:09 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,649,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
My dad just died so I’m outta here
Sorry to hear that. My condolences.

Old 05-05-2019, 02:34 PM

19,201 posts, read 16,675,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thx-1138 View Post
It has been demonstrated, that housing first, removing the street pressure and temptation and environment has much more success than the "let 'em sober up first, get all their problems solved, while on the street, then we'll consider subsidized housing...." old way of thinking that after 30+ years has got us where we are today.

Sometimes people just need a door they can shut behind themselves, get the "world" out for awhile and sit and think!

The new way of thinking has more of what I like to call a "reasonable chance of success," the old way is a proven failure.

Thx
I absolutely agree with this which is why something like an area with smaller units and supervised by officials has the potential to work. Your history of being homeless carries a lot of weight as the rest of us commenting on this thread probably haven't experienced it. I know I haven't but I know I'd hate it and would do everything I could to rectify it. Good that you were able to do it.

Old 05-05-2019, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
I absolutely agree with this which is why something like an area with smaller units and supervised by officials has the potential to work. Your history of being homeless carries a lot of weight as the rest of us commenting on this thread probably haven't experienced it. I know I haven't but I know I'd hate it and would do everything I could to rectify it. Good that you were able to do it.

Thank you, and you hit the nail much on the head...

Back in 1991, coming from LA to Seattle on the Greyhound, as we were riding past the skyscrapers of Seattle it hit me: "What if there was an old, abandoned warehouse somewhere, and what if some charitable organization, call it "The Fishermen" sprang up, rented the warehouse through charities etc, charged a nominal monthly "membership" fee and put in cubicles so those folks can shut a door behind them, etc...?"

"Say you charged them $50-$60 a month, whatever it works out to (I had $155 on me, lol, and figured a couple months would sort me out and give me a chance to get familiar with the new area)

And such, heck, perhaps The Fishermen could have a small "wardrobe" section, provide a couple meals a day, again, through the $50 a month and charitable donations, provide a sack lunch for those with day jobs... have a phone and mail address for references, I bet someone is good at cutting hair...

etc, etc, etc.

Take a homeless "wretch" and transform them, give them a makeover, the difference between being at a mission and "membership" in The Fishermen, a sense of belonging.

And perhaps find jobs for them, or just as a gesture go around cleaning up trashed homeless camps for the city for a nominal fee... Negate part of the problem, "in-house" so to speak...

(How would that wear...? Former homeless, saving the city money going around cleaning up trashed homeless camps, taking out grafitti... who in the heck would not like to see that?)

I have been fortunate that in my time I have indeed been shown the hand of kindness and have been through many meal programs and food banks.

And have advised several charitable organizations and some of my ideas have been adopted.

I have tried, but haven't found an organization that wants to go with my full-blown "Fishermen" idea of homeless missions, (non-religious. all inclusive) but I do see them going more and more that way, (like the tiny house example you posted. ) so it's possible I must have been on to something.

Oh, and let me say I have enjoyed your level-headed and pleasant and solutions-driven posting very much, along with several others in this thread!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7uA5hDvz50

Thx

Last edited by Thx-1138; 05-05-2019 at 03:43 PM..

Old 05-05-2019, 03:59 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,384,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
The homeless in LA county number about 55,000 total count. 15-18,000 have substance abuse problems to the point it interferes with their life, yes ... but that is not to say alcohol and drugs are the root cause of their homelessness. For some, a significant minority, homelessness is the root cause of their substance abuse. And yet others are in the category of “functioning alcoholics / addicts” ... just like non-homeless society. I’m sure your jaw would drop to find out how many addicts - even heroin addicts - and alcoholics - hold down full time employment and pay rent.
Nope as I have known some. However eventually they fall apart, if they keep it up. The functionality decreases if they keep drinking to excess and drugs definitely do that. Watched it happen. Also watched it happen the other way when they quit drinking and doing drugs. Just a rarer event. One of my best friends was a well know alcoholic and held down a nice job after leaving the military. Like many became attached to booze in his youth and had it exacerbated in Vietnam. Made SGT several times and also ended up losing his rank several times over it. Finally got smart and all of his childhood friends, including his brothers and sisters, are now dead from it.

Old 05-05-2019, 04:41 PM

21,725 posts, read 16,327,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Nope as I have known some. However eventually they fall apart, if they keep it up. The functionality decreases if they keep drinking to excess and drugs definitely do that. Watched it happen. Also watched it happen the other way when they quit drinking and doing drugs. Just a rarer event. One of my best friends was a well know alcoholic and held down a nice job after leaving the military. Like many became attached to booze in his youth and had it exacerbated in Vietnam. Made SGT several times and also ended up losing his rank several times over it. Finally got smart and all of his childhood friends, including his brothers and sisters, are now dead from it.
More often the case than not. Some exceptions.

Then again, we all fall apart eventually

Old 05-05-2019, 05:07 PM

26,717 posts, read 26,776,017 times
"As a physician practicing on L.A.’s skid row, I’ve seen a lot of deaths among homeless people, but this one broke my heart."

My patient was homeless. I knew she was going to die, but my hands were tied:
https://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-e...505-story.html

Old 05-05-2019, 05:11 PM

19,201 posts, read 16,675,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thx-1138 View Post
Thank you, and you hit the nail much on the head...

Back in 1991, coming from LA to Seattle on the Greyhound, as we were riding past the skyscrapers of Seattle it hit me: "What if there was an old, abandoned warehouse somewhere, and what if some charitable organization, call it "The Fishermen" sprang up, rented the warehouse through charities etc, charged a nominal monthly "membership" fee and put in cubicles so those folks can shut a door behind them, etc...?"

"Say you charged them $50-$60 a month, whatever it works out to (I had $155 on me, lol, and figured a couple months would sort me out and give me a chance to get familiar with the new area)

And such, heck, perhaps The Fishermen could have a small "wardrobe" section, provide a couple meals a day, again, through the $50 a month and charitable donations, provide a sack lunch for those with day jobs... have a phone and mail address for references, I bet someone is good at cutting hair...

etc, etc, etc.

Take a homeless "wretch" and transform them, give them a makeover, the difference between being at a mission and "membership" in The Fishermen, a sense of belonging.

And perhaps find jobs for them, or just as a gesture go around cleaning up trashed homeless camps for the city for a nominal fee... Negate part of the problem, "in-house" so to speak...

(How would that wear...? Former homeless, saving the city money going around cleaning up trashed homeless camps, taking out grafitti... who in the heck would not like to see that?)

I have been fortunate that in my time I have indeed been shown the hand of kindness and have been through many meal programs and food banks.

And have advised several charitable organizations and some of my ideas have been adopted.

I have tried, but haven't found an organization that wants to go with my full-blown "Fishermen" idea of homeless missions, (non-religious. all inclusive) but I do see them going more and more that way, (like the tiny house example you posted. ) so it's possible I must have been on to something.

Oh, and let me say I have enjoyed your level-headed and pleasant and solutions-driven posting very much, along with several others in this thread!

Thx
Well, thank you for the kind words. I agree with you that there are a number of members here who offer wonderful solutions and insight into the problems that plague society today. Sometimes you have to wade through a lot of muck to find those little nuggets of wisdom but they are here.

Much of what you describe exists. I know of many businesses in the Sacramento region that have resources for those getting back on their feet. They offer clothing, grooming (both women and men), help with resumes, even some job leads from employers. All free of charge.

Shortly after the recession started and the homeless numbers rose, several businesses began offering free help. Stories began to pop up on the local news and with them, a surge in donations of gently worn clothing for those lucky enough to get an interview for a job. Monetary donations to other businesses, as well. For instance, salons offering hair styling, make-up and the like for both women and men; shaves, haircuts, facials, Etc. Over many months, a good number of those who were displaced found work and eventually a place to live.

As far as I know, these still exist although they don't garner nearly the level of exposure as they did in 2008 but they're still out there.

Your video clip of that classic movies was enjoyable. I remember seeing that movie on the TCM many years ago. That jacket sure did make the rounds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles