Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2019, 07:35 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
I love that headline “L.A makes progress “ the media is buying the lies told by the local politicians . Took a quick look at the WSJ writer’s bios neither look to be L.A or west coast based .
There are homeless in other cities but nothing like here in L.A . The conditions have really gotten terrible in many neighborhoods, it’s not just skid row .
Let me get this straight, to have any credibility articles about LA homeless have to be written by a resident of LA?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2019, 07:52 AM

26,731 posts, read 26,820,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Let me get this straight, to have any credibility articles about LA homeless have to be written by a resident of LA?
And come on, sleepy, no one is allowed to post on this thread, either, unless they live in Brentwood, or right next to a homeless encampment.

Old 05-24-2019, 07:53 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,198,692 times
You can't deny there is potential for a health crisis to break out in these type of situations. Especially in the heat of the summer.

Recipe for a health disaster. Yes, maybe it's overly dramatic. But is it really ?

https://www.foxnews.com/us/dr-drew-p...kill-thousands

"I want to give you a prediction here. There will be a major infectious disease epidemic this summer in Los Angeles." — Dr. Drew Pinsky

Quote:
Homelessness and trash are a growing problem for residents in Los Angeles and as the garbage piles up, so do the rats, fueling concerns about flea-borne typhus, according to a report this week.

Pinsky said the city's homeless situation and sanitation crisis are out of hand and politicians are doing nothing to stop it. He believes the mentally ill will suffer the most and that officials are not reacting to an eventual epidemic.

"It's like nothing I've ever seen in my life," Pinsky said. "I feel like I'm on a train track waving at the train and the train is going to go off the bridge. The bridge is out."

Old 05-24-2019, 07:54 AM

This is disturbing.

"Some state-funded projects and programs have been slow to show results by the standards of a frustrated public. And housing in California has become so expensive that it has been hard to feel the impact of the spending because, in many places, people are falling into homelessness as fast as people on the streets can be housed.

In Los Angeles, a recent county report found that 27,000 homeless people had been placed into permanent housing in 18 months. But a renter needs to make $47.52 per hour, which is more than triple the minimum wage, to pay the median monthly rent of $2,471, according to another report by the California Housing Partnership."

Even if California spends millions more on homelessness, here’s why few will notice:
https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/...524-story.html

Old 05-24-2019, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
And come on, sleepy, no one is allowed to post on this thread, either, unless they live in Brentwood, or right next to a homeless encampment.
Silly me

Old 05-24-2019, 08:12 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,463,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
More reasons that people become homeless here in L.A.

"A 102-year-old woman is being evicted from her longtime residence in unincorporated Ladera Heights so the landlord’s daughter can move in instead, according to an eviction notice the woman received.

Thelma Smith was given notice on March 8 that she must vacate the single-family home where she has resided for nearly 30 years.

Her landlords said they were ending Smith’s month-to-month lease because their daughter is graduating from law school."

A 102-year-old woman is being evicted after nearly 30 years. It’s legal in L.A. County:
https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/...523-story.html
I did see that article . A couple of things . City of L.A where most of the homeless issue is does have rent control where tenants get a big payout , where this lady lived was unincorporated. The payouts that tenants get by law are more than enough to make a move to a more affordable city , they start at over $7,000 if she was within city of la limits she would of gotten even more since she is a senior .

Another thing article says she is relying on friends and family to get her relocated . There is no mention that she might become homeless . There is no mention of her income or net worth .
So I don’t see this as an example of people becoming homeless.

These articles should serve as a reminder to all tenants that their housing situation isn’t permanent.
It seems too many people too comfortable and then are shocked when asked to leave the place they lived for 30 years and are paying way below market rents .

Anybody that is so lucky to live to 102 should have easily $1 million net worth even invested very conservatively and passively .. maybe this lady does but that would take away from a good emotional story about the greedy landlord evicting a poor old lady.. now wouldn’t it ?

I’m guessing if she was destitute the la times writer would jump at the opportunity to share that fact .

Old 05-24-2019, 08:15 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,463,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
You can't deny there is potential for a health crisis to break out in these type of situations. Especially in the heat of the summer.

Recipe for a health disaster. Yes, maybe it's overly dramatic. But is it really ?

https://www.foxnews.com/us/dr-drew-p...kill-thousands

"I want to give you a prediction here. There will be a major infectious disease epidemic this summer in Los Angeles." — Dr. Drew Pinsky
Dr Drew is totally right and he predicted the last disease outbreak in L.A

I hope he does use his celebrity and connections to bring about change in la .
None of these other celebrities seem to care at all about the situation .

Old 05-24-2019, 08:35 AM

Quote:
I did see that article . A couple of things . City of L.A where most of the homeless issue is does have rent control where tenants get a big payout , where this lady lived was unincorporated. The payouts that tenants get by law are more than enough to make a move to a more affordable city , they start at over $7,000 if she was within city of la limits she would of gotten even more since she is a senior .

Another thing article says she is relying on friends and family to get her relocated . There is no mention that she might become homeless . There is no mention of her income or net worth .
So I don’t see this as an example of people becoming homeless.

These articles should serve as a reminder to all tenants that their housing situation isn’t permanent.
It seems too many people too comfortable and then are shocked when asked to leave the place they lived for 30 years and are paying way below market rents .

Anybody that is so lucky to live to 102 should have easily $1 million net worth even invested very conservatively and passively .. maybe this lady does but that would take away from a good emotional story about the greedy landlord evicting a poor old lady.. now wouldn’t it ?

I’m guessing if she was destitute the la times writer would jump at the opportunity to share that fact .
Geezus...she's 102 how the hell does she move to an affordable city even if she got $7,000? Of course it's an example of how people become homeless. The dramatic increase in rent and loss of low cost housing is devastating to the elderly, the disabled and hourly workers with a family.

But how the hell can you assume she should have a million dollars in the bank? When she was young women didn't usually work outside of the home, whatever she has now is most likely based on how successful her husband was and whether she has any surviving children. And what if she "could have' had a million but didn't follow the jm1982 manual for becoming rich, do we punish her by telling her to get a sleeping bag and find a comfortable doorway to sleep in?

Old 05-24-2019, 08:40 AM

Quote:
article says she is relying on friends and family to get her relocated . There is no mention that she might become homeless .
"Smith has lost most of her family over the years, including her husband, and her remaining family lives on the East Coast."
And in case you haven't been reading this thread, eviction is one of the causes of homelessness.

Quote:
Anybody that is so lucky to live to 102 should have easily $1 million net worth even invested very conservatively and passively ..
You really don't comprehend the fact that not everyone is just like you. It's no wonder that you post over and over again about how you cannot understand the homelessness problem.

Quote:
Maybe the MSN article will, below. Oops, MSN is headquartered in Redmond, WA, so they're not allowed to write about homelessness in L.A., right?

102 year old woman forced out of her Ladera Heights home:
https://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/...ome/ar-AABFMVe

Old 05-24-2019, 09:04 AM

Here you go jm, same story in the LA Times, is that good enough? https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/...523-story.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles