Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2019, 11:37 AM

21,869 posts, read 16,580,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
And what is LA actually doing about it that is reducing the number of homeless? Nothing that is reducing the number, as it is growing beyond the number of the few being helped. Oh, they are taking a lot of money and paying friends to study the problem.
This bullcrap you and so many others keep spouting is tiresome, at the least. The reality that the numbers are growing - as they certainly are - does not mean “nothing is being done” and / or “all the millions are being purloined / wasted”.

There’s more than “a few being helped”.

The problem is the underlying causes are increasing the homeless population faster than services can keep up.

The problem isn’t simply LA. The problem is endemic to our entire culture and economy. The cities, such as LA, that experience the worst are choking on their own successes ... which feeds the displacements of marginalized population segments. Until the macro-economics of capitalism are “re-cultured” to what Andrew Yang has smartly termed “human-centered capitalism”, this disaster of homelessness will continue to grow beyond control. It’s not simply “LA’s failure”.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2019, 06:45 PM

4,481 posts, read 2,305,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
And what is LA actually doing about it that is reducing the number of homeless? Nothing that is reducing the number, as it is growing beyond the number of the few being helped. Oh, they are taking a lot of money and paying friends to study the problem.
People here prefer to be abrasive, post articles (excuses) ans be apologists for the politicians, for what, I don't know. The fact that you and I see is the city isn't helping the situation. I see it everyday, and it's only getting worse.

Old 09-18-2019, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by max210 View Post
People here prefer to be abrasive, post articles (excuses) ans be apologists for the politicians, for what, I don't know. The fact that you and I see is the city isn't helping the situation. I see it everyday, and it's only getting worse.
It’s in all our faces everyday. And it is getting worse. And providing factual insight that identifies how complex the problem is and how universal it is - is not “apologizing for politicians”. So many posting in these homeless threads are sure the problems are simple and can be all “solved” with a good swift kick in the homeless’ pants. Absurdly ignorant.

Old 09-19-2019, 07:42 AM

26,935 posts, read 27,145,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
...providing factual insight that identifies how complex the problem is and how universal it is - is not “apologizing for politicians”. So many posting in these homeless threads are sure the problems are simple and can be all “solved” with a good swift kick in the homeless’ pants. Absurdly ignorant.
Now, Mutt, your "abrasive" post is offending me.

Old 09-19-2019, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Now, Mutt, your "abrasive" post is offending me.
My bad, eh

Old 09-19-2019, 08:34 AM

42,832 posts, read 26,573,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
'Cause under Obama, there was no such wait list for section 8 housing. Riiiiiiiiight.

You're usually sharper than that.
I didn't say that, did I? I said that if Trump really wants to do something about homelessness rather than just bloviate about it maybe he could do something to get more housing vouchers. Only you and your ilk could figure a way to bring Obama into that

Old 09-19-2019, 08:47 AM

41,009 posts, read 49,486,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Maybe Trump should do something about the 4.2 million families who are on waiting lists for section 8 housing? Trump just wants to F with California, even if you like Trump you should be able to see this for what it is.
LOL... He is. He's building a wall to keep all the uneducated illegals from coming in and living 14 in cheap housing. Maybe freeing up some houses for those sec 8.

Old 09-19-2019, 08:52 AM

639 posts, read 1,078,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
LOL... He is. He's building a wall to keep all the uneducated illegals from coming in and living 14 in cheap housing. Maybe freeing up some houses for those sec 8.
Yeah right. The wall will never be fully built, and besides most illegals now coming across the border simply turn themselves into the authorities because they know the vast majority of them won't be sent back. The family separation policy didn't put a dent in the number coming over, and if it's decreasing at this moment it's only because during the hottest season fewer people come over.

Seriously, if you think that Trump will do anything to help the homeless situation in California then you've fallen for the world's most obvious scam. California went 2 to 1 for Clinton, so all he's going to do is have himself on the news visiting California and making statements about how he's going to solve homelessness, to cater to his base. Meanwhile, buried in the back of the news stories is the fact that he just raised millions in fundraisers from rich conservatives in California. This was the actual reason he made his trip to California.

Old 09-19-2019, 08:54 AM

41,009 posts, read 49,486,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
"Shawn Pleasants has the kind of resume that would attract the attention of any job recruiter: high school valedictorian, economics major from Yale University, Wall Street banking jobs, small business entrepreneur. But a few wrong turns in life 10 years ago left him homeless, and today he's living underneath a tarp in the Koreatown section of Los Angeles.

He's been told before that a smart and capable person like him should not be in this situation.
"But I'm like, should anybody be here? Who should, then?" Pleasants said.

Pleasants' story is a reminder of how complex the problem of homelessness can be. "It means it can happen to anybody. It's a problem we all could face..."

He was a Yale graduate, Wall Street banker and entrepreneur. Today he's homeless in Los Angeles:
https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/17/us/lo...ess/index.html
He chooses to be on the streets. He has family in San Antonio and a home there where he could get on his feet and get a job.

Hard to feel sorry for this guy when he has chosen this path and he has better options.

Old 09-19-2019, 09:04 AM

26,935 posts, read 27,145,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
He chooses to be on the streets. He has family in San Antonio and a home there where he could get on his feet and get a job.

Hard to feel sorry for this guy when he has chosen this path and he has better options.
Myth #1: Homeless people prefer living on the streets

It sounds crazy, but we hear this all the time from people who don’t know any better. The truth is this: People living on the streets want to live in stable housing. Nobody enjoys sleeping on a sidewalk.

https://everyoneinla.org/three-myths-homelessness-la/

Steve Saad, who has camped out in the Sepulveda Basin for eight years, had to find a new place to sleep last week after fire raged through his campsite. I asked if he’d prefer living in a shelter to being homeless, if a bed were available, and he said no. Some of those places have too many rules about coming and going, he said, and some of them separate couples.

In downtown Los Angeles, a man who lives in a tent pitched near the 101 Freeway agreed with that assessment. There was no way he’d move into a shelter, said the man, who identified himself only as Harvey. They’re full of disease, and he feels safer in a tent, he said.

At Echo Park Lake, military veteran Shane Isaacson said it was an interesting idea, but he would rather continue living in his Jeep with his dog, Bear, than move into a shelter...

Would forcing homeless people to move inside and off the streets work?:
https://www.latimes.com/california/s...sing-steinberg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles