Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2023, 03:49 PM

26,844 posts, read 27,010,758 times

Advertisements

California’s housing crisis was decades in the making and it will take years to ease it. But new laws are beginning to have an effect. Since 2017 there’s been a building boom of more than 20,000 accessory dwelling units that are often less expensive housing for students, young couples and seniors. Developers have proposed 18,000 units, with three-quarters of them affordable, using Senate Bill 35, a law that prohibits cities from rejecting or shrinking projects that comply with local zoning; the law shaves months or years off the usual approval timeline. Despite the proven success, the league and some cities oppose making SB 35 permanent and expanding its reach.

Local governments are right about the need for ongoing, guaranteed funding for cities and counties to address homelessness. As long as funding fluctuates year to year — and could disappear altogether — officials will be hesitant to commit to long-term investments in homelessness services and affordable housing development. But perhaps city and county officials would find a more receptive audience in Sacramento if they stopped fighting housing laws and started embracing housing development.

https://www.latimes.com/opinion/stor...ocking-housing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2023, 07:09 AM

Mayor Karen Bass said she intends to propose $250 million for Inside Safe, which moves unhoused residents off sidewalks and into hotel and motel rooms, as part of a $1.3-billion investment in housing and homelessness programs — an amount she called “unprecedented,” according to a prepared copy of her speech, which began just after 6 p.m. Monday (4/17).

https://www.latimes.com/world-nation...days-headlines

Old 04-19-2023, 07:12 AM

926 posts, read 765,819 times
In Florida the major industry is drug rehab so there is no housing for anyone who is not on drugs or alcohol

Old 04-19-2023, 04:23 PM

613 posts, read 360,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Mayor Karen Bass said she intends to propose $250 million for Inside Safe, which moves unhoused residents off sidewalks and into hotel and motel rooms, as part of a $1.3-billion investment in housing and homelessness programs — an amount she called “unprecedented,” according to a prepared copy of her speech, which began just after 6 p.m. Monday (4/17).

https://www.latimes.com/world-nation...days-headlines

And then the money runs out?

Or we'll just be paying for these hotels indefinitely?

Old 04-19-2023, 06:26 PM

29,536 posts, read 22,818,588 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yO78HUZdI1Y

Old 04-19-2023, 07:31 PM

8,393 posts, read 6,494,944 times
22 people died on LA metro in the 1st quarter of this year.

Old 04-20-2023, 12:29 PM

3,171 posts, read 2,730,401 times
So this is just normal now?

https://abc7.com/wesley-welling-kill...tion/13158041/

Vagrant tries to kill 6 people: attempts to murder a group of children, succeeds in critically injuring several children and manages to murder one child and it barely makes local news?

But lets not allow CARE courts. Oh no. Make sure the zombies keep their civil right to kill children and destroy families.

Old 04-20-2023, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post
Vagrant tries to kill 6 people: attempts to murder a group of children, succeeds in critically injuring several children and manages to murder one child and it barely makes local news?
It was on the front page of the L.A. Times. However, I don't see anything about the suspect being homeless.

Quote:
But lets not allow CARE courts. Oh no. Make sure the zombies keep their civil right to kill children and destroy families.
They are being allowed, but only in certain counties.

https://www.npr.org/2023/03/27/11663...vere-mental-il

Old 04-20-2023, 02:01 PM

21,813 posts, read 16,487,284 times
Quote:
So this is just normal now?

https://abc7.com/wesley-welling-kill...tion/13158041/

Why are you posting this in the homeless thread? No mention in your link of homelessness connection (as CA4Now also observed).

And even if the driver was homeless why ask “is this normal now?” Who has ever said this kind of event is ‘normal now’?

There were multiple tragic incidents around the country this past week where innocent people were shot for knocking on a door, for driving up the wrong driveway, because their kids’ basketball rolled onto a neighbor’s lawn, because a high school cheerleader accidentally opened the wrong car door thinking it was hers ….

… and none of those incidents involved homeless people either … and none being called “normal now.”

Old 04-21-2023, 07:19 PM

509 posts, read 788,902 times
Default CA is objectively a good place for homeless

I lived in LA for 8 years and now in Sacramento for 7 years. Midwest born.

Hear me out. I'm not here to make any political statement. I'm not pro or anti homeless.

I'm just making an observation. Which is that, if we were to remove all of the state lines and just look at weather and geography, and then ask where would be the best place for homeless people to live, where would it be? It would be somewhere with moderate temperatures of course, so that the person would not freeze to death or die from heat.

It would be somewhere that does not have extremes in wind or rain/hail/snow/etc, so that their home (tent or similar structure) would face the least amount of pressures from nature.

So if we look at the entire country, and ranked all of the places on these metrics, what would we find?

I think we would find that CA is the best place for a homeless person to live. I know if I were homeless I'd probably park a tent in Santa Monica. I certainly would not be trying to move back to the midwest. I would stay away from the south where it rains a lot. I would avoid Nevada or Arizona due to the extreme heat.

Thoughts?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles