Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2018, 02:42 PM

13,585 posts, read 15,729,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Calm down Adolph.

We're not quite a police state yet, where you can just cart people off like Nazi Germany.
Let's not make this into a political thread, because it's not a political issue. Five families lost their homes due to the Skirball fire, so I fail to see how it's just not good sense to do something to thwart this problem so that even more residents don't lose their homes due to illegal activity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2018, 02:46 PM

623 posts, read 962,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Interesting that in New York City (which has a larger homeless population than Los Angeles), 95% of its homeless are sheltered, whereas it's 25% of our homeless population. We're obviously doing something wrong.

https://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/l...462449073.html
New York City is notorious for relocating homeless to different cities. The use bus, train and airplane.

Until you have a "cure" for addiction, you'll always have homeless. It's just a shell game.

Old 02-09-2018, 03:00 PM

26,839 posts, read 27,005,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by takuriver View Post
New York City is notorious for relocating homeless to different cities. The use bus, train and airplane.
Doesn't sound like it.

With the number of homeless people in New York City reaching an all-time high, Mayor Bill de Blasio unveiled a five-year plan in February (2017) to reduce homelessness and provide better services by opening 90 new shelters and expanding 30 existing ones.

New Homeless Shelters Are Coming to New York City: Which Neighborhoods Are Likely to Get Them?
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...lter-maps.html

Old 02-09-2018, 04:01 PM

292 posts, read 572,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwarmy View Post
L.A. is setting itself up to be the #1 homeless destination in the country.

Oh, yes, the homeless are lepers. It's just like getting labeled a sex offender only worse: once you get labeled "homeless", you are now this icky, subhuman, contaminated, mentally deficient creature that is lower than a dog. In society's twisted mind, 100% of all homeless people are mentally ill, drug crazed, alcoholic and dirty criminals. No, they are not somebody's mother or father, brother or sister,, aunt or uncle, they are now part of this gross scary monolithic blob that threatens to roll through all of the newly stol--er--"gentrified" neighborhoods, and make you spit out your $8 latee, or upchuck your $25 plate of hummus and 2 lettuce leaves and turn LA and every other major city into another Gary, Indiana or Camden, New Jersey!

Old 02-09-2018, 04:18 PM

3,117 posts, read 4,596,502 times
I think we probably need to keep our homeless situation in context. Yes, it's bad - but I can tell you unequivocally we're light years better off in this regard than San Francisco or Seattle is.

I mostly just appreciate the irony-slash-synergy that the best course of action with these camps is to burn them to the ground, and they're already fire hazards.

Old 02-09-2018, 04:47 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,703,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
Let's not make this into a political thread, because it's not a political issue. Five families lost their homes due to the Skirball fire, so I fail to see how it's just not good sense to do something to thwart this problem so that even more residents don't lose their homes due to illegal activity.

You don't send people against their will into camps, it's not a political issue.

What's next? Elderly people, disabled people?

Someone makes comments about rounding up people and sending them to camps against their will, you bet I am going to say something.

You better start doing some research on how some of these fires are started. Take a look at the Santa Rosa fire, the trees didn't burn.....put on your thinking cap.

Old 02-09-2018, 04:55 PM

8,603 posts, read 11,046,142 times
Will someone explain to me what is wrong with building lagre camps out in the desert to house these people?
These camps would have full time staff to attend to all the homeless people's needs.

There would be medical facilities, mental health counseling, Sources for education, job counseling. and most of all, a roof over their head.

The money is there, it was voted on, so instead of the money going into politicians pockets, let's use it as it was designed to do.
This business of moving them from one riverbed location to another one, has got to stop.

Bob.

Old 02-09-2018, 04:57 PM

872 posts, read 600,383 times
Vagrants and criminals go into camps! Now!
Yep its entirely political and social
Clean up our streets and reform those that want it
Otherwise you are going to go somewhere away from innocent people like taxpayers NOW!

Old 02-09-2018, 05:00 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,540,809 times
Bob,

This is too practical an idea for L.A

We must build housing in the city center that costs $350,000 or more per unit .

I mean the "affordable housing" developers need to make a fortune too . They've donated very generous sums . Along with the unions .

Old 02-09-2018, 05:14 PM

8,603 posts, read 11,046,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Bob,

This is too practical an idea for L.A

We must build housing in the city center that costs $350,000 or more per unit .

I mean the "affordable housing" developers need to make a fortune too . They've donated very generous sums . Along with the unions .
I believe you have found the source of the problem.

Bob.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles