Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2018, 04:56 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,454,917 times

Advertisements

Was just in hipster Los Feliz /East Hollywood area saw a bunch of homeless tents on street taking up the whole sidewalk .

On Hillhurst Ave/Hollywood Blvd .

The big big tents too so nobody can walk on the sidewalk .. . Who knows what kind of stuff going on in those tents .

Good job Eric !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2018, 05:15 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,140,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Was just in hipster Los Feliz /East Hollywood area saw a bunch of homeless tents on street taking up the whole sidewalk .

On Hillhurst Ave/Hollywood Blvd .

The big big tents too so nobody can walk on the sidewalk .. . Who knows what kind of stuff going on in those tents .

Good job Eric !
I was just there today too and saw tents right on the sidewalk. How can anyone think that’s acceptable?

Old 04-22-2018, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
I was just there today too and saw tents right on the sidewalk. How can anyone think that’s acceptable?
Right, what are people supposed to do ? Just walk in the street ?
What if they are in a wheelchair ? Or with kids in a stroller ?

It’s not like it’s in the middle of nowhere . It’s one of the busiest parts of the city..

Old 04-22-2018, 05:22 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,140,888 times
Quote:
Right, what are people supposed to do ? Just walk in the street ?
What if they are in a wheelchair ? Or with kids in a stroller ?

It’s not like it’s in the middle of nowhere . It’s one of the busiest parts of the city..
Camping on public property should result in a charge. But “ homelessness is not a crime” so all of their crimes are tolerated by the regressives in charge.

Old 04-22-2018, 06:52 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,259,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Camping on public property should result in a charge. But “ homelessness is not a crime” so all of their crimes are tolerated by the regressive's in charge.
Homelessness is not a crime IMO. However setting up living quarters on public property is a crime in CA. The problem is the laws are not enforced.

Old 04-22-2018, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
Homelessness is not a crime IMO. However setting up living quarters on public property is a crime in CA. The problem is the laws are not enforced.
Yeah it’s a high traffic area . I’m sure a ton of cops and other officials drove by and did nothing .

They weren’t the one person tents they were like 4 person or more big tents .

Old 04-22-2018, 08:50 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,894,868 times
Quote:
Where will you take a shower? Where will you use the bathroom or keep food?
Do you have any family or friends that can lend you a temporary fix? Distant cousins, grown nephews or nieces? Do you have any life long friends that can lend you a helping hand?
I'm not buying anyplace that doesn't already have a well or can't be connected to water. With an above ground faucet and hose, I can bathe, have water to drink and cook with, wash my hair, and start a garden. With luck, I can contract to the owners of Port-a-Potties and rent one that will be replaced when necessary.

I've always had a camp stove and used that for cooking. There's milk that can be bought that doesn't need to be refrigerated. Most food will be canned food. What few things need refrigeration can be put in a cooler for a couple days and the perishables I would get would be eaten the same day. If I'm on my own property, I might be able to dig a sunken cellar against a hillside, or rather, hire someone do dig it, since I won't be able to do that myself.

This isn't some problem I've gotten myself into, so there's no need to bother anyone else. This is something I'm electing to do. I have enough money to buy a home in a mobile home park or a small condo somewhere. What I want is a half acre that I can fence off, get another dog, have a small garden, and a house of my own, and I'm willing to go through some discomfort in getting it. I'll end up spending about as much as anyone would for a home and yard. The only difference is, I'm saving and spending, then saving and spending again and doing it piece at a time because I can't afford to buy the whole thing at one go. But when I'm done, I'll own my land and home outright and only owe on the taxes. That alone would be worth it.

Quote:
Yes I agree and I actually mentioned this in response to you trying to claim that homelessness can happen lickety split overnight.
The problem is, few people recognize a cascading event and even if they do, fewer people plan for them. Look at all the disasters that happen that in hindsight were obvious in coming, like the Great Recession. How many people predicted that, though, and how many planned for it? It's that last thing happening that makes an inevitable event happen suddenly and with no warning.

Quote:
It's never a wise decision to listen to what others think you should do with your money...especially for a huge decision such as buying a house..it's clear the bad choice occurred before you bought that house.
When? Not in the time I'd been in Washington. I had a full time job where I worked 3 days a week and made more money than I'd ever made before. And moving to Washington was a decision I made after my landlord in California decided to raise my rent from $450 to $800, which I couldn't afford. I did what everyone tells people to do: I moved to a cheaper place to live, after transferring my job and finding a place to live up here.

My decision to rent from that particular landlord was based on the cheapest rent I could find in San Jose at the time. Before that, I rented a room in a friend's house and the decision to leave there was because her boyfriend got out of jail, moved in with her, and was into drugs. And the reason for moving into her house in the first place was so I didn't have to live in my truck anymore.

So how far back and which decision do you want to criticize as being a bad one?

Quote:
Many of these vets don't want help.
Just like many alcoholics and drug abusers. But they need help, just the same.

Quote:
A homeless person did this

Man killed in random knife attack as he held 5-year-old in his lap at seaside Ventura steakhouse

https://www.dailynews.com/2018/04/21...ra-steakhouse/
I guess we should be glad the killer wasn't a football fan. We'd have to round up everyone who walked into a stadium to watch the Super Bowl.

Quote:
Enforce how? By arresting everyone, we're back to jailing all those people again and giving them medical care, food, and a place to sleep for the night. For all you know, some of the homeless would prefer it that way. And in the end, the city is still spending taxpayers' money on giving the homeless somewhere to go and something to eat.

There's got to be a better solution.

Last edited by rodentraiser; 04-22-2018 at 09:19 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 04-22-2018, 10:11 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,259,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
I'm not buying anyplace that doesn't already have a well or can't be connected to water. With an above ground faucet and hose, I can bathe, have water to drink and cook with, wash my hair, and start a garden. With luck, I can contract to the owners of Port-a-Potties and rent one that will be replaced when necessary.

I've always had a camp stove and used that for cooking. There's milk that can be bought that doesn't need to be refrigerated. Most food will be canned food. What few things need refrigeration can be put in a cooler for a couple days and the perishables I would get would be eaten the same day. If I'm on my own property, I might be able to dig a sunken cellar against a hillside, or rather, hire someone do dig it, since I won't be able to do that myself.

This isn't some problem I've gotten myself into, so there's no need to bother anyone else. This is something I'm electing to do. I have enough money to buy a home in a mobile home park or a small condo somewhere. What I want is a half acre that I can fence off, get another dog, have a small garden, and a house of my own, and I'm willing to go through some discomfort in getting it. I'll end up spending about as much as anyone would for a home and yard. The only difference is, I'm saving and spending, then saving and spending again and doing it piece at a time because I can't afford to buy the whole thing at one go. But when I'm done, I'll own my land and home outright and only owe on the taxes. That alone would be worth it.
Do you have any family or friends that can lend you a temporary fix? Distant cousins, grown nephews or nieces? Do you have any life long friends that can lend you a helping hand so you won't have to live in your car?
Quote:
When?
The moment you listened to those telling you what you should do with your money and encouraging you to buy a house.
Quote:
It's what everyone said was the pinnacle of success in this country. Who doesn't buy a house when they can? Everyone told me it's an investment, everyone urged me to go ahead.

Old 04-23-2018, 02:24 AM

7,654 posts, read 5,114,492 times
Quote:
Being homeless and needing to sleep somewhere is synonomus, there have been legal arguments at the federal level that sleeping is a human right and homeless people have no choice but to sleep on public lands.

I am hoping that federal law will trump state laws and stop the purposeful catch 22 shenanigans.

Sure its ok to be homeless so long as you go do it in the wilderness and just die ....

Old 04-23-2018, 02:35 AM

7,654 posts, read 5,114,492 times
Quote:

The problem is, few people recognize a cascading event and even if they do, fewer people plan for them. Look at all the disasters that happen that in hindsight were obvious in coming, like the Great Recession. How many people predicted that, though, and how many planned for it? It's that last thing happening that makes an inevitable event happen suddenly and with no warning.

When? Not in the time I'd been in Washington. I had a full time job where I worked 3 days a week and made more money than I'd ever made before. And moving to Washington was a decision I made after my landlord in California decided to raise my rent from $450 to $800, which I couldn't afford. I did what everyone tells people to do: I moved to a cheaper place to live, after transferring my job and finding a place to live up here.

My decision to rent from that particular landlord was based on the cheapest rent I could find in San Jose at the time. Before that, I rented a room in a friend's house and the decision to leave there was because her boyfriend got out of jail, moved in with her, and was into drugs. And the reason for moving into her house in the first place was so I didn't have to live in my truck anymore.

So how far back and which decision do you want to criticize as being a bad one?

Just like many alcoholics and drug abusers. But they need help, just the same.

I guess we should be glad the killer wasn't a football fan. We'd have to round up everyone who walked into a stadium to watch the Super Bowl.

Enforce how? By arresting everyone, we're back to jailing all those people again and giving them medical care, food, and a place to sleep for the night. For all you know, some of the homeless would prefer it that way. And in the end, the city is still spending taxpayers' money on giving the homeless somewhere to go and something to eat.

There's got to be a better solution.
Most people just want them to go away, out of sight out of mind, NIMBY alive and well. Because .... I got a masters degree. I bet there are homeless with masters degrees too, perhaps not living in a tent in central park looking like a disheveled lunatic but homeless all the same, bouncing from couch to couch using library internet, etc. There are a lot of people living out of vans or making a go of tiny home living, all kinds of stuff because finding a good job is a hellish nightmare and COL is so completely out of control people are doing desperate things to find alternatives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles