Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2018, 10:49 AM

1 posts, read 797 times

Advertisements

Okay so there’s this thread on Curbed LA discussing of a roadside in Pasadena (Orange Glove) and everyone in the comments is in a huge disagreement for about 70+ comments. The ones in favor think that the increase of traffic is making drivers more aggressive and less empathetic towards pedestrians to the point it risk their lives.

I’m going to have to agree that drivers are becoming a lot more entitled, especially when i have the walk sign on yet there’s always people making a right turn 3 feet away from me. I excluded Downtown because i feel bad walking there but i’m referring to roads with 5 lanes in all directions like on the Westside where there’s still a lot of foot traffic despite the automobile orientated landscape.

My question to you is, do you feel like giving up your car in LA isn’t worth it for this reason alone? In another words, you’ll never ever give up your car for safety reasons, non negeociable.

Extra: growing up in Houston and moving to LA, I always was impressed at how dense and urban LA really is. Then I began traveling to Europe, Asia, and even Latin America; and every time i’d come back home to LA i’d realize how unwalkable we really are despite the density and congestion. As some one else said before, we got the worst of both worlds. Density without the walkability.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2018, 05:27 PM

334 posts, read 286,023 times
LA needs to fix all the sidewalks. They're in terrible condition.

Unfortunately we spend 20% of our city budget on pensions. While most cities spend 5%

Old 04-06-2018, 12:25 PM

509 posts, read 485,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inside the 610 loop View Post
Okay so there’s this thread on Curbed LA discussing of a roadside in Pasadena (Orange Glove) and everyone in the comments is in a huge disagreement for about 70+ comments. The ones in favor think that the increase of traffic is making drivers more aggressive and less empathetic towards pedestrians to the point it risk their lives.

I’m going to have to agree that drivers are becoming a lot more entitled, especially when i have the walk sign on yet there’s always people making a right turn 3 feet away from me. I excluded Downtown because i feel bad walking there but i’m referring to roads with 5 lanes in all directions like on the Westside where there’s still a lot of foot traffic despite the automobile orientated landscape.

My question to you is, do you feel like giving up your car in LA isn’t worth it for this reason alone? In another words, you’ll never ever give up your car for safety reasons, non negeociable.

Extra: growing up in Houston and moving to LA, I always was impressed at how dense and urban LA really is. Then I began traveling to Europe, Asia, and even Latin America; and every time i’d come back home to LA i’d realize how unwalkable we really are despite the density and congestion. As some one else said before, we got the worst of both worlds. Density without the walkability.
I would never give up my car in LA simply because of the size of the place. Public transportation, for all its much ballyhooed improvements in the last 25 years, still lags far, far behind other cities. Light rail is the only "rapid" transit; if you rely on buses to run a few errands, it will take you all day to accomplish what you could do in two hours with a car. Living in LA without a car is unthinkable to me.

As for the safety of pedestrians, it is appalling too. The right turns when pedestrians are in the crosswalk is unlikely to stop, no matter how illegal it is. However, what worries me most are crossing at corners without traffic lights (including crossings that are clearly marked with flashing lights) You literally have to step in front of oncoming traffic and kind of stare it down to make sure they stop (you have to stand in front of the oncoming car; the driver won't see or pay attention to you if you remain on the curb). The danger with these crossings is it is not rare for a car in one lane to stop, and the cars behind him to change lanes and just speed on through, not even realizing why the car has stopped. There have been some very awful accidents from that.

I think a lot of people move here from other cities expecting LA to be similar, and are surprised by just how pedestrian-unfriendly it has always been. It is better now, but we are still decades away from being as walkable as most Eastern cities.

Old 04-06-2018, 09:37 PM

11,161 posts, read 7,967,013 times
Nope.. I live in Santa Monica and can walk or ride my bike to pretty much everything I need to do.

Old 04-06-2018, 11:08 PM

9 posts, read 13,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
Nope.. I live in Santa Monica and can walk or ride my bike to pretty much everything I need to do.
Santa Monica is a special case in the area. I could walk or bike across the entire city without much issue. Get out of Santa Monica and it's a completely different story; certain areas areas are more walkable and bikeable, but as a whole LA proper is nowhere near as friendly to pedestrians and bikers.

Old 04-07-2018, 12:12 AM

13,583 posts, read 15,664,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
In which part of SM do you reside?

Old 04-07-2018, 12:19 AM

10,681 posts, read 6,117,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilshire View Post
LA needs to fix all the sidewalks. They're in terrible condition.

Unfortunately we spend 20% of our city budget on pensions. While most cities spend 5%
Our city is too big in terms of land use. We were spoiled by so much space but neglected the consequences..

Old 04-07-2018, 08:35 AM

26,735 posts, read 26,820,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inside the 610 loop View Post
I’m going to have to agree that drivers are becoming a lot more entitled
Or more negligent. This pedestrian, actually hit by a driver who was texting, was unhurt (miraculously). Unbelievable.

The approaching car was on my right, slowing for the stop sign ahead. I started across but midway I realized the driver's attention had drifted and her car was regaining speed, veering my way. It was too late to dodge it, so I threw myself onto the hood.

Startled, the young woman looked up from her smartphone. Texting. Of course. She braked and I rolled gingerly off her hood before she sped away. I was furious.

Texting while driving is as dangerous as driving drunk. We need to treat it accordingly
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles