Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2016, 08:10 AM

8 posts, read 6,733 times

Advertisements

Hi,

So my wife & I are planning our trip out to California this spring and we're undecided of whether to stay in Silver Lake or in Hollywood. I know the comparison is night and day as Silver Lake is suburban, unlike like Hollywood which a commercial tourist trap. The rental in Hollywood is located in a new building on Hollywood Blvd & Argyle with lots of amenities, such as free indoor parking, gym, pool & W/D. The Silver Lake rental is located within a private home on a quiet street and only offers free parking and a W/D. I know that by staying in Hollywood, we'll be closer to Griffith Park and DTLA, but how's the that area in terms of crime, restaurants and bars? Both rental are through Airbnb BTW.

thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2016, 08:47 AM

1,256 posts, read 2,495,148 times
Are you visiting or moving? (Hard to tell in your post).

If you are in an AirBnb rental, assume you are visiting. The Hollywood rental will be closer to attractions, but the Silverlake rental will most likely be more quiet.

Crime is a bit relative, but overall, Silverlake is safer.

Old 01-25-2016, 08:57 AM

1,714 posts, read 3,856,583 times
Can't quite picture how Hollywood would be closer to Griffith Park and DTLA compared to Silverlake...

Old 01-25-2016, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by genjy View Post
Can't quite picture how Hollywood would be closer to Griffith Park and DTLA compared to Silverlake...
I just double checked the map and Silver Lake is definitely closer to DTLA & Griffith Park. I guess if you're driving it really doesn't matter.

Old 01-25-2016, 09:34 AM

4,795 posts, read 4,832,262 times
I wouldn't really call Silver Lake the burbs. It's pretty comparable to Hollywood.

Old 01-25-2016, 09:37 AM

1,886 posts, read 2,103,431 times
Silver Lake is much more Single-family-home oriented and spread out (relatively speaking). Not sure if that's what you're looking for. If this is your first time in LA I would suggest the Hollywood rental so you can get the touristy things out of your system. Plus, Hollywood has a lot more than just touristy things...

Old 01-25-2016, 09:42 AM

4,795 posts, read 4,832,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adr3naline View Post
Silver Lake is much more Single-family-home oriented and spread out (relatively speaking). Not sure if that's what you're looking for. If this is your first time in LA I would suggest the Hollywood rental so you can get the touristy things out of your system. Plus, Hollywood has a lot more than just touristy things...
Single family home and spread out describes every neighborhood in LA other than downtown

Old 01-25-2016, 09:58 AM

1,319 posts, read 4,247,251 times
Hollywood is more central, somewhat walkable(at least compared to silver lake) and will have more things you will want to see.
BTW, Hollywood is large, it runs from Mulholland in the north to parts of Beverly Blvd in the south. The neighborhoods vary from rich mansions to crapholes to immigrant areas to religious Jewish hoods.
YOu may want to consider looking in the southern parts near Melrose and La Brea. It is nicer, quieter, safer, and only a few minutes to Hollywood blvd and about 15 minutes to DTLA(depending on traffic).

Old 01-25-2016, 10:01 AM

1,886 posts, read 2,103,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
Single family home and spread out describes every neighborhood in LA other than downtown
Quote:
Originally Posted by adr3naline View Post
Silver Lake is much more Single-family-home oriented and spread out (relatively speaking)...
See bold. Relative to Hollywood.

Old 01-25-2016, 10:18 AM

This will be our fifth time visiting Los Angeles in the past two years. The first couple of times we stayed on the eastern side of The grove. I guess that area is considered Hollywood. The third time we rented a small home in Venice located off Lincoln & Santa Monica which I didn't like....too many strung out drug users. In response to an earlier post, we are so over the tourist stuff and we almost feel like we're native Los Angelenos every time we visit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles