Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2022, 09:46 PM

21,730 posts, read 16,334,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
The WHO initially stated that Covid-19 originated from a "wet market", then pivoted towards "wildlife farms" as a source.

From NPR:

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsan...virus-pandemic

OTOH, I think the evidence has been overwhelming that Covid-19 originated at the Wuhan Institute of Virology.
And? WHO and CDC are mandated to respond to health crises as crises unfold. There’s no ‘wait and see’ option. They take their best information, based on deep erudition and experience, and proceed with best available advisories and actions. If any part or all is discovered to be in error as investigations unfold over time, they acknowledge and pivot … all appropriately.

*You think* “evidence is overwhelming?” No offense intended Exitus, but why would your assessments be better than WHO / CDC? They, WHO / CDC, may be wrong, of course. Everybody makes mistakes at times. But what erudition and experience do you bring to piecing together the puzzle?

While it’s understandable and reasonable and good practice to question even the best authorities and review many sources of information in all matters, why would random, anonymous, armchair-analyst, social-media internet contributors be a better source of analyses than openly transparent, highly educated and deeply experienced professional organizations?

Last edited by Tulemutt; 05-07-2022 at 09:54 PM..

Old 05-07-2022, 09:49 PM

Quote:
I have no reason to believe the aforesaid published any false information. Do you?
Their obvious ideological biases raise no flags for you, eh?

Old 05-08-2022, 09:10 AM

26,720 posts, read 26,787,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
The CDC has destroyed its reputation over the past year
Actually, CDC director Rochelle Walensky has had to undo a lot of damage that former director Robert Redfield caused, a man who plainly ignored the science.

https://time.com/6132792/rochelle-wa...9-cdc-profile/

Old 05-08-2022, 11:22 AM

6,616 posts, read 4,877,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
And? WHO and CDC are mandated to respond to health crises as crises unfold. There’s no ‘wait and see’ option. They take their best information, based on deep erudition and experience, and proceed with best available advisories and actions. If any part or all is discovered to be in error as investigations unfold over time, they acknowledge and pivot … all appropriately.

*You think* “evidence is overwhelming?” No offense intended Exitus, but why would your assessments be better than WHO / CDC? They, WHO / CDC, may be wrong, of course. Everybody makes mistakes at times. But what erudition and experience do you bring to piecing together the puzzle?

While it’s understandable and reasonable and good practice to question even the best authorities and review many sources of information in all matters, why would random, anonymous, armchair-analyst, social-media internet contributors be a better source of analyses than openly transparent, highly educated and deeply experienced professional organizations?
Those organizations are not [redundant] "openly transparent," and my guess is that only a few people at the CDC have any pre-COVID experience with pandemics. The CDC operates too much like Los Angeles, in placing business interests on a similar level as public health and less forgivably than LA doing that. Ultimately that is why we're overrun with the virus.

Old 05-08-2022, 11:23 AM

5,267 posts, read 4,178,807 times
Quote:
The WHO initially stated that Covid-19 originated from a "wet market", then pivoted towards "wildlife farms" as a source.

From NPR:

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsan...virus-pandemic

OTOH, I think the evidence has been overwhelming that Covid-19 originated at the Wuhan Institute of Virology.
As soon as evidence supported the virus came from a lab every organization including the White House went radio silent. I hope after the midterms there will be actual investigations on how and WHY this pandemic was unleashed on the world. And that includes investigating Fauchi

Old 05-08-2022, 11:48 AM

26,720 posts, read 26,787,779 times
Quote:
I think the evidence has been overwhelming that Covid-19 originated at the Wuhan Institute of Virology.
"Whenever scientific findings threaten people’s sense of control over their lives, conspiracy theories are never far behind. The emergence of novel viruses is no exception. New pathogens have always been accompanied by conspiracy theories about their origin."

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...eek-the-truth/

Old 05-08-2022, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Those organizations are not [redundant] "openly transparent," and my guess is that only a few people at the CDC have any pre-COVID experience with pandemics. The CDC operates too much like Los Angeles, in placing business interests on a similar level as public health and less forgivably than LA doing that. Ultimately that is why we're overrun with the virus.
Yeah. You do a lot of “guessing”.

The WHO and CDC are entirely transparent. Anyone can find out everything about who the players / researchers are, their backgrounds, and any amount of detail about the nature and elements of their works. Anything you want to know about them that isn’t instantly available at your fingertips is accessible by request.

You, on the other hand, like every other anonymous armchair social media expert - are a complete unknown

Old 05-08-2022, 02:58 PM

Nothing wrong with guesses that are good, like mine.

Walensky does not have pandemic experience, and we also know that the CDC hasn't done a good job. It would be strange if the organization employs more than a few people who have been through anything like this, because America itself hasn't had anything like it in about 50 years. I don't think anyone has done a good job fighting COVID-19, but the CDC has hardly fought it.

Old 05-08-2022, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Nothing wrong with guesses that are good, like mine.

Walensky does not have pandemic experience, and we also know that the CDC hasn't done a good job. It would be strange if the organization employs more than a few people who have been through anything like this, because America itself hasn't had anything like it in about 50 years. I don't think anyone has done a good job fighting COVID-19, but the CDC has hardly fought it.
Guesses are just that: guesses. They are not expertise. Even a broken clock is right twice a day. And even a blind squirrel can sometimes find a nut.

Walensky doesn’t have pandemic experience? … Neither do you. But Walensky is an MD, MPH and was chief of Infectious Diseases at Massachusetts General Hospital, none of which entirely relevant things you can claim for yourself.

It’s also true that the AIDS pandemic occurred less than 50 years ago and Fauci was among the nation’s most key researchers and leaders dealing with that crisis. Similarly, the recent 2018 Ebola pandemic in Africa was arguably very effectively quashed in the US by Fauci and other leadership still actively researching and practicing medicine and public health. In addition, the CDC has played successful roles in a variety of other major epidemics in recent decades including outbreaks of hepatitis, typhus, measles, and numerous others.

You are a complete nobody in all of this. You pollute these forums with your *guesses*, and very often attack others arrogantly in spite of not having any credibility to share.

Old 05-08-2022, 06:26 PM

AIDS isn't automatically considered a pandemic. It's definitely not contagious in the way COVID-19 is. Furthermore, it still spreads plenty in the same groups it did decades ago, except those receiving blood transfusions (where the government acted strictly).

I won't give Fauci and others much credit for stopping American Ebola, either. I don't think there has ever been a meaningful outbreak of that virus outside Africa. It's quite self-limiting in a nasty way.

Who has done a good job of containing the virus in this pandemic? Say it with me - NOBODY. It doesn't take a degree in infectious disease to know one of the keys to containing a contagion is to keep people (or creatures) apart from one another. I and some other heavy-handed laypeople would have done that and it probably would have saved more lives than governments did. Most of the world is engaged in a fantasy that people can interact basically like they always have and that modern medicine and maybe luck will stop the threat. Arrogantly confident about healthcare and individual resilience. I'm very intelligent and right so often that I'm justifiably arrogant. May I be wrong more often about this, because that probably would mean more improvement than I expect.

Last edited by goodheathen; 05-08-2022 at 06:42 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles