Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where's best place to live in Los Angeles (LA), Silver Lake or Manhattan Beach?
Silver Lake 12 33.33%
Manhattan Beach 24 66.67%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-10-2020, 03:28 PM

103 posts, read 100,907 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Almost anyone would choose Manhattan Beach over the Silver Lake district, though the Silver Lake district does attract a certain type of person and this is not bad.

Now, for all the reading you are doing and the lists of the "best this and "best that, these studies are only as good as the day they are published and change at the drop of a pin. I know, we happen to live in a region of the USA, most people would not consider the best of anything and yet, every year, at least one of the publications you are reading has us rated among the best in several fields. It is great for the community and gives a certain amount of bragging rights, but we know that is all they are good for. So don't put too much into what you read.

Now, the other issue of course, if you are seriously thinking of moving to one of the areas you are asking about take your life style and budget into consideration. If you are just posting for fun, good luck with what you are reading. We all have our own ideas about good versus bad or best verses almost best.

Noticed OP is also asking about London: wonder why the curiosity?

I'm also thinking of a place in London and Stockholm as well as Los Angeles so if you have anything to add for those places please feel free.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2020, 04:07 PM

26,719 posts, read 26,787,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapphire Dragon View Post
I'm also thinking of a place in London and Stockholm as well as Los Angeles so if you have anything to add for those places please feel free.
https://www.city-data.com/forum/london/

Old 10-11-2020, 12:12 AM

6,658 posts, read 4,745,070 times
This is like asking "Would you rather live in a slum or an upscale beach town?"

Old 10-11-2020, 03:00 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,237,207 times
If I had to pick one for myself it would definitely be Silverlake. I prefer big city urban living. I like living close to other urban areas. I also like areas with old interesting architecture and a more diverse population. Things like public transportation, cultural amenities, nice parks and hiking trails are a must. Never been a fan of suburban South Bay beach communities to live. Fun to visit. Too much driving. Lots of 60s, 70s or uninteresting newer architecture. Also shocked that many Manhattan Beach residents knew nothing about the history of Bruce's Beach.

Old 10-11-2020, 05:15 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
Wow, sorry I upset you so much!!!! But obviously I did.

Old 10-11-2020, 06:37 AM

26,719 posts, read 26,787,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevroqs View Post
This is like asking "Would you rather live in a slum or an upscale beach town?"
Says the Nevadan who's probably not set foot in California in years.

Big business gentrification in Silver Lake:
https://www.theeastsiderla.com/easts...7ab13a710.html

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...gentrification

Old 10-11-2020, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post

Thanks but no Post(s) as of yet.

Old 10-11-2020, 07:30 PM

908 posts, read 1,303,057 times
Quote:
I haven't been to London in about 10 years, but the big hipster neighborhood that is comparable to Silver Lake would be Shoreditch in East London. It was the case back then, and I'm pretty sure it's still the case now.

Like Silver Lake, Shoreditch started gentrifying in the 2000s and has become a big hub for artists/musicians and has the general hipster vibe with good bars, nightlife, etc. with some edge and grime, although definitely more of a dense, urban feel than Silver Lake.

To some extent like LA, the east end of London is the grittier part of town that has undergone gentrification in the last 15-20 years with lots of younger folks and more of an arts scene with a vibe more comparable to Silver Lake / Echo Park / Los Feliz / Highland Park. Meanwhile, the west end of London is the posh part of town that has been historically wealthy and definitely with some snobbier elements, but very nice areas nonetheless. Neighborhoods such as Chelsea, Knightsbridge, and Kensington are among the most expensive neighborhoods with a lot of foreign wealth (especially Middle East wealth). While there are certainly a fair amount of differences, it would be more comparable to parts of LA such as Beverly Hills, Bel Air, and other west side neighborhoods.

Never been to Stockholm, so can't comment there.

Old 10-12-2020, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by socal88 View Post
I haven't been to London in about 10 years, but the big hipster neighborhood that is comparable to Silver Lake would be Shoreditch in East London. It was the case back then, and I'm pretty sure it's still the case now.

Like Silver Lake, Shoreditch started gentrifying in the 2000s and has become a big hub for artists/musicians and has the general hipster vibe with good bars, nightlife, etc. with some edge and grime, although definitely more of a dense, urban feel than Silver Lake.

To some extent like LA, the east end of London is the grittier part of town that has undergone gentrification in the last 15-20 years with lots of younger folks and more of an arts scene with a vibe more comparable to Silver Lake / Echo Park / Los Feliz / Highland Park. Meanwhile, the west end of London is the posh part of town that has been historically wealthy and definitely with some snobbier elements, but very nice areas nonetheless. Neighborhoods such as Chelsea, Knightsbridge, and Kensington are among the most expensive neighborhoods with a lot of foreign wealth (especially Middle East wealth). While there are certainly a fair amount of differences, it would be more comparable to parts of LA such as Beverly Hills, Bel Air, and other west side neighborhoods.

Never been to Stockholm, so can't comment there.

I like the sound of wealthy area(s).

Old 10-18-2020, 10:32 AM

80 posts, read 84,569 times
I lived in both places for a few weeks (and several others) to get a feel for the different areas before ending up on the west side (between Santa Monica, Brentwood and Westwood). However when my family came to join me, we moved to Manhattan Beach for the better schools, proximity to the ocean, clean and calm surroundings.

Compared to Silver Lake, MB is very vanilla, not as diverse, nor as gritty. People live a lot of their lives on the beach (not homeless people, but a lot of free time is spent on the beach and in the water, more of an athletic focus), so it's a real beach community, (which I discovered was not really the case in Santa Monica). Prices are a bit higher here, food, coffee, etc. Silver Lake is more of a hipster/artist area with more of a city vibe. It's far more diverse, and at the heart of a lot of cultural happenings, trends a bit younger too.

There's also Hermosa Beach, Manhattan Beach's unruly kid brother, lot of college students and people partying, and Redondo Beach, which is something like a slightly less affluent version of Manhattan Beach, but larger and with a nice variety of restaurants, clubs, bars, etc. Or Palos Verdes, where the prices again rise steeply, as does the quality of the schools. Not nearly as walkable though, more like a suburb, but in a beautiful location. There's a strip of concrete known as The Strand that stretches along the beach from Redondo/PV in the south up to Pacific Palisades/Malibu border in the north, interrupted only by Marina del Rey, which is a great place for a walk, skate, bike ride, jog, etc. Great people watching too!

As far as Stockholm goes, Lidingö is where the old money lives, but both Norrmalm, Östermalm, Södermalm and Gamla Stan are beautiful and in the heart of the action, Vasastaden isn't too shabby either.

It's been too long since I lived in London, can't really be of much help there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles